Cutting ATV trails into cross slopes

/ Cutting ATV trails into cross slopes #41  
We tend to like a little bit of outslope on our side-hill trials to help keep them from retaining water.

/ Cutting ATV trails into cross slopes #42  
We tend to like a little bit of outslope on our side-hill trials to help keep them from retaining water.
I'd not call outslope a "tend to like" property. If you don't have it, your trail will be washed out asap.

/ Cutting ATV trails into cross slopes #43  
I'd not call outslope a "tend to like" property. If you don't have it, your trail will be washed out asap.
I agree. I really understate the need for this. Without outslope or some other measures will either wash out or be a muddy mess.

We do have areas where outslope is just not possible, or where outslope alone is not enough to protect the trails. So we resort to other or additional measures to make sure the trail drains properly.

Last edited:
   / Cutting ATV trails into cross slopes #44  
I use a small 70 hp 14,500 lb dozer to build tractor roads.

WestSlope2.JPG

WestSlope3.JPG

FirLoop7.JPG

FirLoop16.JPG

gg

/ Cutting ATV trails into cross slopes #45  
   / Cutting ATV trails into cross slopes #46  
Be careful with your spoils - they are best cast downhill and spread- using them as the outer part of your tread will likely result in the outer portion failing early and could lead to a safety issue- its best to have the entire bench result from the cut.

And use a mini-x
Correct - the big thing is the base of the trail stays on the original cut, the spoils go off the edge for extra width, and pack them in with the bucket if using a mini-ex.

/ Cutting ATV trails into cross slopes #47  
I'd guess most people don't have a cat, or a excavator for that matter. Me personally, I wish we could afford a compact tractor. :cry:

You could afford one if you shopped for a bargain. And were willing to put a lot of heavy work into it. Half the price of a plain-jane 4-wheeler.

P1030754.JPG

P1030845.JPG

P1030883.JPG

gg

/ Cutting ATV trails into cross slopes #48  
   / Cutting ATV trails into cross slopes #49  
   / Cutting ATV trails into cross slopes #50  
A 70 hp large frame skid steer with steel tracks can also be very handy plus multiple uses vs just pushing and grading like a bulldozer in my experiences (with a skid steer). Still I always wanted a true bulldozer unfortunately these days it would mostly be to say I own one lol.

Attachments

• KIMG0612.JPG
    KIMG0612.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 46
  • KIMG0618.JPG
    KIMG0618.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 48
  • KIMG0617.JPG
    KIMG0617.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 47