750' Concrete Driveway Demo/Refinish Help

/ 750' Concrete Driveway Demo/Refinish Help #1  

Millhouse

Tractor
none
We built on 12 acres that had an old 750' long concrete driveway that was poured at various times whenever the previous owner's friends had concrete waste they needed to dump.

The time is past due for us to address this monstrosity and we are trying to figure out options.

Because it's so rough with many cracks, we don't feel that asphalting over top is going to work, so we're likely stuck on demoing it. What we're not sure of is what to do with the waste. I'll likely be renting a skid steer with a jackhammer attachment to rip it all up. After that, we're not entirely sure.

Any suggestions?

/ 750' Concrete Driveway Demo/Refinish Help #2  
If it is cracked pretty through and through in small enough sections, you might be able to pop it up with the bucket without using the jackhammer. But with that much material, it would take a while to move it all to dispose of it without resorting to using a dump truck.

You need plan for where it needs to end up and then work out how to get it there.

/ 750' Concrete Driveway Demo/Refinish Help
If it is cracked pretty through and through in small enough sections, you might be able to pop it up with the bucket without using the jackhammer. But with that much material, it would take a while to move it all to dispose of it without resorting to using a dump truck.

You need plan for where it needs to end up and then work out how to get it there.
Yeah, dump trucks are going to be costly as well.

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with crushing attachments as it would be ideal to be able to re-use the concrete as a gravel.

/ 750' Concrete Driveway Demo/Refinish Help #4  
We have a lot of concrete recycling places around here.They grind it up for road base. If your area doesn't you need to find a construction landfill hopefully close by

/ 750' Concrete Driveway Demo/Refinish Help #5  
My concrete contractor hauls it back to the concrete company supply. They grind it up, separate the gravel, dirt, metal reinforcement, and reuse it. Came back mixed with fresh cement at a reduced price. Mine was 800' or driveway with all new barn & machinery building aprons. $72k.

My concrete contractor hauls it back to the concrete company supply. They grind it up, separate the gravel, dirt, metal reinforcement, and reuse it. Came back mixed with fresh cement at a reduced price. Mine was 800' or driveway with all new barn & machinery building aprons. $72k.
Yeah, that's about $62k more than I'd like to spend lol.

/ 750' Concrete Driveway Demo/Refinish Help #7  
More than likely they went cheap on the base that supports the pavement too. The big decision will be if you continue to throw good money at a halfazzed job or do it right which will cost a bunch of cash. Maybe get the concrete removed first and get the gravel base done right and wait on paving for later?

More than likely they went cheap on the base that supports the pavement too. The big decision will be if you continue to throw good money at a halfazzed job or do it right which will cost a bunch of cash. Maybe get the concrete removed first and get the gravel base done right and wait on paving for later?
More than likely there is no base that supports the pavement.

The plan now is to remove it, re-grade where needed, put down some heavy duty geo fabric and bring in some crusher run. The ground underneath I'm sure is already thoroughly compacted...so I'm hoping to keep the grading at a minimum to avoid having to re-compact. If we decide to later on, we can asphalt.

The later steps are pretty straightforward, it's just the demo that I'm unfamiliar with.

/ 750' Concrete Driveway Demo/Refinish Help #9  
Rent a skid steer and find a dump trailer. Shouldn’t need more than 8 hours rental. If you don’t want to or can’t haul away the pieces, then pile them up somewhere. Nothing special to break up a crappy concrete job. Just pick up chunks.

But take it from someone that always wants to recycle stuff. Don’t bother, get rid of it and move on. The pile of concrete will be there for years, because it will be cost prohibitive to crush it.

/ 750' Concrete Driveway Demo/Refinish Help #10  
My father built several hundred feet of retaining walls, flower bed landscape wall, and a set of stairs 90' down an escarpment all from broken driveway and sidewalk pieces that he'd pick up at various locations.

The broken edges look very much like natural stone, and the flat sides stack neatly. He'd plant ivy on the walls and no one would know the difference if it was concrete or stone.

So that's one way to use broken concrete.