750' Concrete Driveway Demo/Refinish Help

/ 750' Concrete Driveway Demo/Refinish Help #41  
With that much concrete and a budget of $10,000, your best option is to just live with it until your budget is at least double.
If there is a ready-mix plant nearby and it's clean, without rebar, they often don't charge a dump fee, but you will have to pay for trucking. In some areas, using concrete as fill is illegal, all it will take is one Karen and you might have to dig it all up again, so check local laws before you try that option. When paying for trucking, you don't want to be wasting time loading with a tractor or a skid-steer, a 120 or larger excavator with thumb can pull the concrete out of the ground and load it in one motion provided your ground is solid enough to support a loaded dump truck. If you crush it onsite yourself you will end up with a pile that is well over 100 yards probably closer to 150-200 yards of 2" minus crushed. It will make a great driveway base though.

/ 750' Concrete Driveway Demo/Refinish Help #42  
Have you explored one of the gravel-grid systems? I have 2 colleagues who have done it over old concrete pads (leaving the concrete in place)

/ 750' Concrete Driveway Demo/Refinish Help #43  
Yeah, that's about $62k more than I'd like to spend lol.
For a 12'x700' 4in thick slab your looking at 103yrds. Just for the concrete in my area that's $20k. No dirt work, no base, no form work and no finishing. Just removing and hauling that much concrete away could cost $5k alone.

Honestly the cheapest and easiest way to make your driveway smooth is going to be to just top the whole thing with 4-6in of crushed stone.

/ 750' Concrete Driveway Demo/Refinish Help
Have you explored one of the gravel-grid systems? I have 2 colleagues who have done it over old concrete pads (leaving the concrete in place)
This never crossed my mind....and honestly would be ideal if it works. Definitely worth looking into, thanks!

/ 750' Concrete Driveway Demo/Refinish Help
Lot's of great ideas....really has me thinking.

I've looked into mobile crushers, though maybe not quite enough.

Right now my top 3 choices seem to be

1) Geo grid on top of the concrete...no demo, no waste. Money saved could cover geo grid costs and would have a solid, weed free base. How easy is it to load gravel on top though?
2) Mobile Crusher/Reuse Concrete
3) Look into contractors needing concrete waste, may haul for free

The demo seems to be fairly straightforward an really doesn't seem to be a problem per-say. It's what to do with the waste.

/ 750' Concrete Driveway Demo/Refinish Help #46  
Whatever that involves removing 340,000 lbs of anything strikes me as a job too big for a non-professional. The geo grid on top of concrete looks good. If you'd like the nicer look of asphalt -

Lay the above on the concrete and call in someone to lay asphalt over same. A word of caution on the asphalt. There are enough ways to cheat the consumer and provide an inferior job, it's worth hiring a consultant who, in addition to helping with the specs, is to be on site during the laying of the asphalt. Be sure the contract calls for a minimum thickness throughout - not just average thickness.

/ 750' Concrete Driveway Demo/Refinish Help #47  
Crush it and use it for paver base. I’ve seen it done on road jobs with a special machine. Basically 6 or 8 large steel weights that raise up and drop on the concrete to turn it into rubble. Then pave over it.

/ 750' Concrete Driveway Demo/Refinish Help #48  
Whatever that involves removing 340,000 lbs of anything strikes me as a job too big for a non-professional. The geo grid on top of concrete looks good. If you'd like the nicer look of asphalt -

Lay the above on the concrete and call in someone to lay asphalt over same. A word of caution on the asphalt. There are enough ways to cheat the consumer and provide an inferior job, it's worth hiring a consultant who, in addition to helping with the specs, is to be on site during the laying of the asphalt. Be sure the contract calls for a minimum thickness throughout - not just average thickness.
OR, just fill the cracks and voids with cement. Geo+base + paving =$$$$ and without a proper base will inevitably settle and crack. Just yesterday I was told this years average in our area is $3.00/sqft for asphalt.

/ 750' Concrete Driveway Demo/Refinish Help #49  
For a 12'x700' 4in thick slab your looking at 103yrds. Just for the concrete in my area that's $20k. No dirt work, no base, no form work and no finishing. Just removing and hauling that much concrete away could cost $5k alone.

Honestly the cheapest and easiest way to make your driveway smooth is going to be to just top the whole thing with 4-6in of crushed stone.
And to put that into perspective, a full truck is 10 yds.
So, you have 10 full trucks and one half a truck.

You can move and haul that away in a little skid steer loader bucket and dump trailer...............

And you could also repour it with a portable mixer and bags of Sakrete:ROFLMAO: