12 Guage Slug Range /Ballistics ?

/ 12 Guage Slug Range /Ballistics ? #11  
What HE needs is to be SAFE and NOT shoot in THAT direction!!

SR

/ 12 Guage Slug Range /Ballistics ? #12  
What's the cost of being wrong?

Maybe a dead neighbor? A child? Mother?

Why would even consider doing such an irresponsible thing?

/ 12 Guage Slug Range /Ballistics ? #13  
Never shoot unless you know exactly what is in line of thr shot. It may not hit your neighbors house a 1/4 mile away, but what about a hunter that is out there?
I have turned down many "skyline" shots not knowing who or what was over the hill.
Close to 30 years ago I had a driver that was hit in the arm with a rifle shot from the neighbors shooting a sheet of plywood on a rise with no backstop.

Gary

/ 12 Guage Slug Range /Ballistics ? #14  
Winchester Sabot slug shot up at 45 degrees.

SSP12- 12Ga. 385 gr. @ 1900 fps: 2,971 Yards

Allow at least 200-300 yards more for downwind shots.

Wow! I'd love to see the calculator that generated this. 3000 yards (9000 feet) makes dang near 2 miles. That means my 300wm must go about 10 miles. Again, wow!

/ 12 Guage Slug Range /Ballistics ? #15  
A heavy slow bullet will travel farther than a light fast bullet. Speed is temporary, mass is permanent. The high speed light weight bullet sheds it velocity at a higher rate than a slow moving heavy bullet. That shotgun slug will easily travel the 400 yards to your neighbor's house. And it will still be quite lethal when it gets there.

For the sake of everyone around you, do not do this.

Also, don't think of it as "just because it's a shotgun", think of it as, I can shoot a lead projectile 3 times the weight of a "deer rifle" bullet, over my horizon. And a black powder rifle is just as deadly, so don't think, "oh, it's a muzzle loader, it must be ok".

/ 12 Guage Slug Range /Ballistics ?
"What about a hunter that is out there?" The same could probably be said for 75% of shots not fired from a tree stand.

Rest assured:
1) I have no plans of to take a "skyline" line.
2) Even if someone did, the slug would have to negotiate several hundred feet of trees and branches before it went above the tree line.
3) I haven't deer hunted in about 25 years, and don't have any serious intentions to sit around doing so in the near future. I'm more of a cold blooded killer, I like to raise my food by hand, give it a name, pet it often, and develop a personal relationship with it before I kill it and eat it. (i.e. more of a farmer than a hunter). :rolleyes:

I was more curious of the theoretical ballistics.

/ 12 Guage Slug Range /Ballistics ? #17  
snag from the "net", so only hear say.............

"..may be longer than you think:

I received a direct answer on the estimated maximum danger range of rifled slug, sabot slug, .44 magnum and 45-70 rounds from Winchester Ammunition:

X12RS15- Rifled Slug, 1 ounce @ 1600 fps: 1,068 Yards

X44MHSP2- .44 Mag. 240 gr. @ 1760 fps: 2,239 Yards

X4570H- .45-70 300 gr. @ 1880 fps: 2,291 Yards

SSP12- 12Ga. 385 gr. @ 1900 fps: 2,971 Yards

The Winchester Tech. recommended adding 200 to 300 additional yards to allow for velocity variations, temperature, wind conditions, etc."

A long ways!

/ 12 Guage Slug Range /Ballistics ? #18  
Copper sabot slugs from a rifles shotgun barrel hit hard and shoot fairly flat out to 125-150 yards

/ 12 Guage Slug Range /Ballistics ? #19  
"What about a hunter that is out there?" The same could probably be said for 75% of shots not fired from a tree stand.

Rest assured:
2) Even if someone did, the slug would have to negotiate several hundred feet of trees and branches before it went above the tree line.
3) I haven't deer hunted in about 25 years, and don't have any serious intentions to sit around doing so in the near future. I'm more of a cold blooded killer, I like to raise my food by hand, give it a name, pet it often, and develop a personal relationship with it before I kill it and eat it. (i.e. more of a farmer than a hunter). :rolleyes:

The ballistics of the shot would be fun to figure. I asked for the calculations that generated the 9000' projectile distance as I haven't seen a calculator that calcs that far.
For your given scenario I would used a BC of .20. Here is a fun calculator-

Ballistic Calculators - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

/ 12 Guage Slug Range /Ballistics ? #20  

Rest assured:

Been following and you made me try to find the answer. I used to hunt with the "pumpkin ball" in areas restricted to that and always figured a slug fired from ground level would be "in the dirt" at about 300 yards and even then it wouldn't pack much punch (still a lot because it is 1 oz. of lead). That was before rifled barrels and 3" sabot type slugs...I have to say that I was amazed at the differences in drop and energy...probably explains why Wisconsin now allows rifles just about everywhere since it doesn't seem to matter and the rifle may be a little more accurate. But to your point, I didn't find a comprehensive ballistics calculator either.