16 acres and a hobby farm what tractor?

/ 16 acres and a hobby farm what tractor? #51  
... but i do want a larger tractor.
I think that's the most relevant statement. I was also going to mention a a spear on the 3 point with front weights, but you're really looking at getting something different. The old saw that "nobody ever said I wished I'd bought a smaller tractor!" is true.

I stay away from a fishing mower and get a zero turn like has already been mentioned. Maneuverability of a zero turn over a tractor and the fact that the attachment is going to cost you nearly what the zero turn would.

/ 16 acres and a hobby farm what tractor? #52  
I have no hay bailing experience whatsoever. But I can attest to the saying that "nobody has ever regretted getting a tractor that is a little too big".

You don't know what you're going to want to do with your tractor next year. Or 5 years from now. Things change. I never knew we'd end up converting 35+ acres of our 130 acre property to CRP. And that we'd have to routinely mow that 35+ acres. I also didn't know I'd end up buying a bandsaw mill and would want to transport large logs to my mill.

So the open-station TC40D that we originally bought was too small. Ended up going to a Deere 5065 with canopy. Fits our property and usage much much better

/ 16 acres and a hobby farm what tractor? #53  
One thing I’d add thats a common error in judgement I see at TBN.
HP wont necessarily handle heavy objects better as in the OPs situation than a old heavier tractor with less HP

Do your homework. When you want to step up in a tractor in size, look at the weight, the frame and the hydraulics. Tractors dont usually run out of HP, you can always drop a gear to finish the jobs that require everything your tractor has.

For lifting and transporting heavy objects a heavy, wide 50HP tractor is better than a newer lightweight 65 HP tractor.

For example, a Case-IH magnum turned down to 135HP is FAR more tractor than my Kubota M135X. Its not even a contest, yet they are the same HP.

I think some of you guys might be better off buying a 40 year old “big” farm or utility tractor for chump change and keep your small compacts, than upgrading to a ridiculously expensive, very complex newer tractor thats only marginally bigger With a DPF/DEF system and computer controls.
’sides, then you can have a REAL nice big tractor!

Last edited:
   / 16 acres and a hobby farm what tractor? #54  
Not really related so much to the tractor discussion, but it will take two horses about 10 days to two weeks to consume a large round. Unless you have a covered feeder of some type you will have a lot of waste.

/ 16 acres and a hobby farm what tractor? #55  
The OP needs to find someone to bale small square bales.

/ 16 acres and a hobby farm what tractor? #57  
Any job worth doing is worth buying another tool for 😎

/ 16 acres and a hobby farm what tractor? #58  
I have 16 acres of land mostly flat and i plan on getting a pole barn two horses and some other animals. I currently have a B2650 with 60" MMM, FEL, Front blade, 3PT rear snow blower, 5ft bush hog, rear blade.
<snip>

I never even thought about using the 3pt to lift them but i do want a larger tractor atnd to move away from the MMM and buy a rear finish mower to do my yard. I was looking at the Kubota L tractors. L39 or L4701.

My drive way is gravel and almost a mile long the B2650 feels to light when pushing snow not that it happens very often.............mowing is what i spend the most time doing with it in thick heavy grass with a bush hog the b2650 feel under powered seeing as to i only mow around the field once or twice a year along the fence line.

Now my yard i mow every week when we get rain. The MMM is a pain to work on and i have already broke one hanger off. The kubota weld did not hold up in it's defense it takes a beating on my ruff yard.
Now you don't tell us where you are (MO?) or your financial situation. You mention snow but we even get snow in Mississippi.
But - Tractors are in short supply, to many people had to much money given to them and decided to spend it on tractors. Some of these tractors are bound to end up being sold after people realize they don't really need them. I'd wait a while before moving up a size.

It reads like you have 3 main points:
1. Want a bigger tractor (for 16 acres)
2. Need to move a FEW bales a year
3. Need to mow yard (how big?) EVERY week (at time) and the MMM is broke

The B2650 is on the small side for the bales, but it seems a "bale trailer" would be ideal. or a 3 point bale spear.
But how many bales a year do you want to move?

The 2650 is not really designed for mowing yards, unless your yard is many acres like a golf course. If it rains often and you are mowing with either that or a much larger tractor you will probably have a problem with ruts, especially if you don't have turfs. I've a B7610 and I've rutted my lawn when I had to drive on it when it was wet, even though I've got turfs. Patching ruts is a pain. I've also mowed my yard ONCE with my 50HP M4700 and my 5' rotary. Did the job, but way overkill, sort of like using my dually to drive 80 miles to town to pick up a bag of groceries.
But if your yard is big enough to need a B2650 to mow you should look into a ZTR. Mowing a house yard with a tractor is like shooting flying geese or partridge with a .50 cal. Sure you can do it but there's a better tool.

Last edited:
   / 16 acres and a hobby farm what tractor? #59  
I have 16 acres of land mostly flat and i plan on getting a pole barn two horses and some other animals. I currently have a B2650 with 60" MMM, FEL, Front blade, 3PT rear snow blower, 5ft bush hog, rear blade.

Another farmer will make hay on my field, i think they are 5 ft round bales that he will let me have a few. There is no way the B2650 can lift them, i would like only one tractor that can do it all and was looking for suggestions.
I have a JD 3046R for my 17 acres. Handles everything except the yard.

/ 16 acres and a hobby farm what tractor? #60  
Just my two cents but whatever the OP does, go bigger than you think you’ll need. And when I say bigger, I’m talking more about tractor weight than horsepower. It doesn’t sound like you need tons of PTO horsepower since you won’t be making your own hay. But based on your description you will want more weight and the corresponding lifting capacity and STABILITY that a utility size tractor will provide you. I just upgraded to a Mahindra 5155 and it’s bare weight is about 5,500 lbs. I am already appreciating what this extra weight and size means in terms of not only picking up more, but feeling safe while doing it. Unless a physically larger tractor in the Utility category will be a problem for your situation, that’s the direction I’d be looking. Again, just my opinion based on my experience. I never felt like I needed more horsepower with my 1538 (39 HP) but I did find myself wanting more weight to push and pull heavier stuff. Going from 3,200 lbs bare weight to 5,500 lbs bare weight is like night and day.