2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #91  
There is arepair shop in Florida that uses two post lifts and will often state how the vechicle has to be positioned. He has three in a small shop.
If curious search for Rainman Rays repair

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #92  
I really like that mower rack. I need to make something like that to do oil changes and the like. No reason you couldn't do it for a car
These are easy to install & remove. The lift arm pucks come out and the ramps then bolt in their place. I have marks on the floor to indicate placement when re-installing. Word of caution, though: The mower wheel tracks need to be the same otherwise the machine won't settle in safely.

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #93  
Maybe not the most common use, but the 4-post sure came in handy when loading a car with an 8-degree approach angle on a trailer.

That would not work with a 2-post, unless it's a deck-over trailer and a wide enough lift.
DSCN4945.JPG

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #94  
I searched the forums using the search function, and could not find what I was looking for. So, here goes. ADMINS, if this is the wrong forum for this topic, apologies. Let me know if it needs to move.

Ok, so... I'm recently retired from a very long 36 year career in the US Army. I bought property in South Carolina, and recently moved into my forever home. We just broke ground for my workshop, and here is my rough floor plan. I want a vehicle lift to work on my dually, my Jeep, my UTV, etc. but I can't decide on either a 2 post or a 4 post. I have read the pro's and con's of each, and still can't make up my mind.

My brother is a 30 year heavy diesel mechanic, and has a 2 post lift at his house. He has told me the differences, and his opinion on the matter. I've never had a lift before, but I know it is a must have for my new shop.

What are your thoughts, from those who have lifts. Also, which brand do you recommend?

My shop will be 40' wide, by 60' deep. I will have three 12x12 roll up doors with aprons, situated as shown in the diagram. I'm adding drains as well. The 14' over hang will have the first 20' finished off, and will be my office. There will be a full bathroom (toilet, sink and shower) in the office area.

Shop will be insulated, and wired with both 110v and 220v.

Looking forward to your insight. Much appreciated.

View attachment 855096
I have a 40’x60’ shop. Although mine is set up with 2 14’x14’ roll-ups in the front and 1 14’x14’ roll-up as a pass through on the left rear. My sidewalls are 17’9” so I have plenty of overhead clearance for lifting and creating a mezzanine (highly recommended).

I have. A 2-post 9K auto lift in the right front of my shop. When I lift my crew cab F250, it puts my lift at its limit. I slightly offset it from the roll up door thinking I would need extra space for my tool box, but I am now in the process of moving it to center. Like another poster mentioned, keep it in the center of your roll up. I also agree that the electric should be run overhead. I did mine that way and have repeatedly found it to be helpful when moving the toolbox and hydraulic jacks.

The cons to a 2-post (IMO) is the spacing issue with the doors when on the lift. If I bought another one, I would look for something wider than I have now, but I would still do a 2-post. I have a hard time getting in and out of the truck/car when they are on the lift. Also, wouldn’t trust leaving a vehicle in the air unless I was using a car brace at one end, which limits your ability to get another vehicle under the one in the air. Lastly, as mentioned is having to get under the vehicle to find the lifting points. I bought the auto lift guide: Vehicle Lifting Points Guide (2024) - Autolift.org to help find the right points. Although any mods to your vehicles will throw off the lifting points(like an aftermarket gas tank or upgraded radius arms).

The pros to a 2-post are the minimal space it requires, the ability to work on tires/wheels and suspension, and varying widths of vehicles (lifting arm are adjustable).

I have a friend with a 4-post and he loves moving it out of the way due to the heavy duty casters. He can also park another vehicle under it without concern.

My last recommendation, as mentioned by another poster, would be to go larger. I have already run out of space. With your set up, if you go with a 4-post, go wider with your shop. If you go with a 2-post, go longer. If you have the money, do both!

In the pic with the truck. I have a vehicle brace under the front. In the pic without a vehicle (screenshot from a video), the electric is run off the top of the post on the left and the lift is off center. I thought I would be able to pull straight in and swing the lifting arms under my cars, but that didn’t work as planned 👎🏼

Good luck!
1709570305954.jpeg

1709570178287.jpeg

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #95  
I have an Atlas 2 post (10,500 pounds) and have never regretted my purchase. I used it to highly modify my Rubicon, work on my truck, a buddy’s truck, etc. i have a series of YouTube videos of the install on my channel - JohnHillCountry.

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #96  
I am on home shop number 4. You have a a lot of pros and cons. One more thing is a 4 post takes up more space when not being used. I have had single post, too restrictive, I had a 2 post with both posts in ground, wasn’t too bad except for differential work. Now I have two 2 post units. Bend Pak 10K asymmetrical and a Nussbaum 7k. If you need to store a just add floor space. More useful.
One person gave reason commercial shops had both types. The real reason is they have enough work volume and workers.
Now for the shop. Make the walls 20’ high so you can have plenty of clearance and add a mezzanine where you don’t need the height. Floor thickness 7” with steel on 16” centers and 4 bars minimum around a thickened perimeter footing. Consider electrical now and use all conduit and you can put conduits under the slab. Since you want insulation use foam insulated panels. Less waste floor space and quieter also. Look at AWIP for reference to find a manufacturer on the east coast. They are in California. Plan on infrared spot heaters as they heat the objects which is more efficient in bigger buildings.

Attachments

• building texture.jpeg
    building texture.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 51
  • auto shop3.jpeg
    auto shop3.jpeg
    446.7 KB · Views: 46
  • auto shop4.jpeg
    auto shop4.jpeg
    463.8 KB · Views: 44
  • P6121028 (1280x960).jpeg
    P6121028 (1280x960).jpeg
    799.1 KB · Views: 51
  • shop conduits8.jpeg
    shop conduits8.jpeg
    452.2 KB · Views: 42
  • shop conduits11.jpeg
    shop conduits11.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 44
   / 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #97  
Maybe not the most common use, but the 4-post sure came in handy when loading a car with an 8-degree approach angle on a trailer.

That would not work with a 2-post, unless it's a deck-over trailer and a wide enough lift.View attachment 855622
Ah ! On it's way to be painted it's proper color I hope.

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #98  
One thing the 2-post is better at is for removing and installing beds on pickups.

Made the flatbed on the C&C easily removable and while the crane can be used, there's more movement than I care for (working alone, as usual).