2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #132  
C8.3 Cummins is a hoss of an engine.

Case and Cummins co-developed it. Think 5.9, but bigger with wet sleeves.

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #134  
You do not understand it and will get someone trouble... read this and I am telling you, anyone that believes rod knocker... get ready to open your pocket books.View attachment 326994

Pay attention to wording, gross combination weight rating and understand it.

Please explain this:Interpretation for 383.5: - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and explain answer number 6. I don't think things could be more clear. People like you are very dangerous, because you have repeatedly shown the incapability to read flow charts and understand laws, yet you claim to be some kind of expert because you drive a glorified pick up in the oil patch.

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #135  
Please explain this:Interpretation for 383.5: - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and explain answer number 6. I don't think things could be more clear. People like you are very dangerous, because you have repeatedly shown the incapability to read flow charts and understand laws, yet you claim to be some kind of expert because you drive a glorified pick up in the oil patch.
Thanks for providing that link. The question/answer #6 confirms what I had thought all along; no CDL when trailer is not over 10K and truck is not over 26K. Even if truck were over 26K you would not need a Class A, only a Class B as long as trailer not over 10K. It's really like the trailer has nothing to do with CDL requirements as long as it's not over 10K.
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration said:
Question 6: A driver operates a tractor of exactly 26,000 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR), towing a trailer of exactly 10,000 pounds GVWR, for a GCWR of 36,000 pounds. HM and passengers are not involved. Is it a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV)s and does the driver need a CDL?

Guidance: No to both questions. Although the vehicle has a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 36,000 pounds, it is not a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) under any part of the definition of that term in ァ383.5, and a CDL is not federally required.

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #136  
You do not understand it and will get someone trouble... read this and I am telling you, anyone that believes rod knocker... get ready to open your pocket books.View attachment 326994

Pay attention to wording, gross combination weight rating and understand it.
Let me ask you something. Why do you think they even put the stuff about 10,000 lbs trailers in the little blurb you copied?

Think about it; using your (faulty) reasoning it wouldn't make any difference whether the 10,000 lb stipulation was there or not. Again you have to ask yourself, why is the 10,000 thing even printed there?

If were so simple as just add the two numbers together and if over 26,000, then bingo=CDL A like you say, then they wouldn't even have to have mentioned mentioned trailer weight.

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #137  
Apparently you have never priced a medium duty, as an FL can be had for slightly less money than a loaded Ram/Ford/GM!!

And not only that, but the medium duty will be working long after it is paid for, unlike the light duty truck.

They can tow more weight safely, are not maxed out on every tow like light duty trucks are, stop safer, and are a true heavy truck, not a light duty which is under built, but grossly over priced!!

A friend if mine hauled RV's, after a while, his 1 ton (not mentioning brand, no need for a war.) started costing him major dollars, made the profit margin slim, has looked at many medium duty trucks, seem to pencil out better over the ling haul.
The points you make are valid but is not a fair $$ comparison because you keep specifying a loaded pickup versus a plain-jane FL. There is no way a FL or 650 can cost less than a basic reg cab pickup work truck.

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #138  
Let me ask you something. Why do you think they even put the stuff about 10,000 lbs trailers in the little blurb you copied?

Think about it; using your (faulty) reasoning it wouldn't make any difference whether the 10,000 lb stipulation was there or not. Again you have to ask yourself, why is the 10,000 thing even printed there?

If were so simple as just add the two numbers together and if over 26,000, then bingo=CDL A like you say, then they wouldn't even have to have mentioned mentioned trailer weight.
Let me ask something, if it is so easy to circumvent the 26,001lb rule by saying a 26k truck and a 10k trailer is not under CDL....why is it ,that not every hotshot related company in the US has not changed their fleet to match this? If they did not have to jack with DOT, I guarantee they would be all over this "in theary" rule. I am with Case on this one. Now lets get into the 10k trailer part...how do you do that? There are no 5k axles sold.

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #139  
Let me ask something, if it is so easy to circumvent the 26,001lb rule by saying a 26k truck and a 10k trailer is not under CDL....why is it ,that not every hotshot related company in the US has not changed their fleet to match this? If they did not have to jack with DOT, I guarantee they would be all over this "in theary" rule. I am with Case on this one. Now lets get into the 10k trailer part...how do you do that? There are no 5k axles sold.

De rate your trailer with 5200# axles to 9999 GVWR.

Chris

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #140  
De rate your trailer with 5200# axles to 9999 GVWR.

Chris

I am a big fan of derating...I am actually a fan of uprating my stuff. Now comes the sweet part for this 26k and 10k combo. The ratings are per the manufacturer or whats on the registration...read the DOT specs on this. So, unless you can bribe the MFG to rate the 5200 lbs at 5k each...HMMM.....Yea , yea I know.
Now tell me for real how the **** DOT will look at a 1 ton 13750 GVR pulling a 14 GVR trailer. gross of 27750...right? Thats CDL territory.,,,
Now lets go get a F-650-rated at 26k for CDL reasons and lets its hook it upto a 10 k trailer....and no CDL required.............yep perfectly legal in every
state in the lower 48. Nope your are wrong. Read the regulations boys, you can not derate the the equipment anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.