2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #71  
Think not

It's not that hard if you read the matrix chart correctly. We are discussing a non-CDL straight truck with a GVW of 26K towing a trailer of 10K. Your attachment above would not be applicable.
View attachment 315771

I am reading it correctly. Now when you combine a non CDL truck with 26k rating and a non CDL trailer with 10k tow rating..that puts your Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating @ 36,000 which is clearly over the 26,001 GCVWR lbs CDL requirement. Just because the individual unit does not require a CDL, does not mean when you put them together a CDL is not required, does not work that way.

I will try not post anymore on this.

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #72  
I am reading it correctly. Now when you combine a non CDL truck with 26k rating and a non CDL trailer with 10k tow rating..that puts your Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating @ 36,000 which is clearly over the 26,001 GCVWR lbs CDL requirement. Just because the individual unit does not require a CDL, does not mean when you put them together a CDL is not required, does not work that way.

I will try not post anymore on this.

I'm sure you think you're reading the chart correctly, but you most assuredly are not

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #73  
This topic has been beat to death a thousand times on the internet. You can't just highlight part of a sentence and stop at the comma. Read it like this:
all trailers with a manufacturerエs weight rating of 10,001 pounds or more, AND a combined vehicles gross weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more.
Both things need to be true to require a CDL. I'm with aczlan on this one.

EDIT: Take a look here http://www.dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv500c.pdf
These are the NY driver's license classes and NY is about as strict as anywhere except CA. Class D is the regular license for passenger cars.
It allows you to drive up to 26K trucks and tow trailers up to 10K behind such trucks. Only when the trailer is over 10K are you limited to 26K total.
Also, if you look at what a Class A is needed for it only kicks in when the trailer is over 10K

That link must be old, the non-CDL C was dropped in 2005.

NYS DMV - The Elimination of the Non-CDL Class C License
Under a NYS law that took effect on July 26, 2005, the DMV will eliminate the Non-CDL Class C license. In addition, the gross vehicle weight rating and gross vehicle combination weight rating of vehicles that a driver can operate with a Class D license has increased.

The Non-CDL Class C license will be eliminated after the DMV changes the driver license system and can apply the different endorsements and restrictions of Non-CDL Class C licenses to Class D licenses. When the changes are made, drivers who have Non-CDL class C licenses will receive Class D licenses with any required endorsements and restrictions. These drivers will receive the Class D licenses when they renew their driver licenses.

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #74  
I'm sure you think you're reading the chart correctly, but you most assuredly are not

Interesting read
Definitions-http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.25.010
CDL required-http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.25.050

Cut and paste, Washington State legislature website

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #75  
Interesting read
Definitions-http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.25.010
CDL required-http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.25.050

Cut and paste, Washington State legislature website

RCW 46.25.010
a) Has a gross vehicle weight rating of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) inclusive of a towed unit with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds or more); or

(b) Has a gross vehicle weight rating of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more
Yes, that is what I've been saying all along. A straight truck >26K or a combo >26K where the trailer is
>10K.

Read the link that JasG provided

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #76  
Yes, that is what I've been saying all along. A straight truck >26K or a combo >26K where the trailer is
>10K.

Read the link that JasG provided

I'll cut out the important parts. These are what a non-CDL can drive

Changes for Drivers with Current Class D Licenses. A driver with a Class D license can now operate a passenger vehicle, a limited use automobile, or:
- truck with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,000 lbs. or less. (Before, a Class D driver could only operate a vehicle with a GVWR of 18,000 lbs. or less.), and
- truck with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs. or less that tows another vehicle, and the other vehicle has a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or less, and
-truck with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs. or less that tows another vehicle that has a GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs., but the gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of the two vehicles together must be 26,000 lbs. or less.

A driver with a Class D license can now operate a personal use vehicle (for example a rental vehicle or a recreational vehicle or RV) with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,000 lbs. or less that tows another vehicle that has a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or more, but the gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of the two vehicles together must be 26,000 lbs. or less.

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #77  
Surely there has got to be a DOT man thats a member of this forum that could settle this debate.

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #78  
- truck with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs. or less that tows another vehicle, and the other vehicle has a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or less, and

From JasG. NY law regarding trucks and standard drivers license

Thanks JasG

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #79  
Surely there has got to be a DOT man thats a member of this forum that could settle this debate.

Why would that change the minds of people who can't follow an elementary flow chart?

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #80  
Rock, another interesting read. This one has alot of cool info but what pertains to our discussion is in Chapter 8 towards the bottom if you scroll down

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/NR/rdonlyres/EE2D33C7-E6A0-4C58-9BD9-AE05C003B327/0/VehicleGuide.pdf

I definitely agree, its hard to change the minds of people that cant follow the flow chart, especially when it clearly states the manufacturers rating of your combination is 26,001 lbs or more, a class A CDL is required.

Attachments

• wa cdl.PNG
    wa cdl.PNG
    102 KB · Views: 159
  • wa cdl2.PNG
    wa cdl2.PNG
    117.7 KB · Views: 235
Status
Not open for further replies.