3 point hitch ?

/ 3 point hitch ? #1  

CJBOTA

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620 & MX5100
On My last two Kubota 's ( B2920 and L3700 ) the sway of an implement was taken up by loosening a nut and turning a turnbuckle until you got precisely where you wanted to be. My new MX5100 is totally different. There are inner and outer tubes with holes drilled on about 1" centers. You choose a position and put a pin thru the aligned holes.
The problem is I can't get precise position because the holes are all on !" centers. I was trying to acheive 27" between the lower arms. The best I could get after trying every combination of holes was 25-1/2" to 27-1/2" depending if you pushed the arms together or pulled them apart. Either I am doing something wrong or this is one sloppy arrangement. Suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
CJ

/ 3 point hitch ? #2  
No suggestions. That is just how they work.

Sometimes you can get a second set of holes that line up and you can put a pin through them if you want the 3PH to be rigid and tight.

/ 3 point hitch ? #3  
I had the turnbuckle system on my L2900 and also on my older Ford tractors and it was something of a pain to change attachments. I much prefer the system on my MX5100. I have not expereinced your problem (yet). I have found that I can get the width close enough for my needs with this system. What implement/attachment are you using that requires such a tight fit? I like a little "slop" in the attachment that allows for some give rather than a super tight fit that will create stress points where something may break rather than shift slightly.

/ 3 point hitch ? #4  
I'm with Dan. This is a far better setup than turnbuckles which totally suck. When hooking to a 3pt implement I pull the pins, hook up, lift the implement and then move it to center and repin.

What are you doing with the tractor that requires 27" versus the 27.5" that you can achieve?? I've never ran into a situation where the slide brackets didn't fit.

Some applications I like a very tight anti-sway effect so after hooking up the implement I insert one pin and then sway the load to get the other side pinned where there is no slack.

Some applications I like swing. For those I use the slotted holes.

/ 3 point hitch ? #5  
I like things as tight as the next guy, but I noticed with the geometry of the moving 3pt parts you need a little play in the sway linkage. I have the turn buckles on an old Ford and I made them nice and snug in one position but it got way to tight when lifted or lowered out of that position.

My JD has those pin holes, I know, sometimes you just have to settle for a happy medium.

JB

/ 3 point hitch ? #6  
The problem is I can't get precise position because the holes are all on !" centers. I was trying to acheive 27" between the lower arms. The best I could get after trying every combination of holes was 25-1/2" to 27-1/2" depending if you pushed the arms together or pulled them apart. Either I am doing something wrong or this is one sloppy arrangement. Suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
CJ

OK, one more suggestion. Since you only have 1/2" to make up you might be able to put large grade 8 washers under the implement's lift pins to build that 1/2".

It is just attacking the problem from the other direction.

There should be enough thread to do it but if not, there are lift pins that have extended threads.

Last edited:
   / 3 point hitch ? #7  
OK, one more suggestion. Since you only have 1/2" to make up you might be able to put large grade 8 washers under the implement's lift pins to build that 1/2".

It is just attacking the problem from the other direction.

There should be enough thread to do it but if not, there are lift pins that have extended threads.

Hmmmmm,,,, never thought of that. Would be an easy fix if trying to get a quick hitch to exactly fit an implement!!!