5/16 vs 3/8 chain

/ 5/16 vs 3/8 chain #1  

AaronS

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS XR4046HC, New Holland Boomer 1020
I'm getting ready to buy chain and ratchet binders to secure my new tractor on the trailer, and want to make sure what I buy is heavy enough. Will four 5/16 chains (grade 70) be sufficient or should I buy 3/8? Thanks in advance.

/ 5/16 vs 3/8 chain #3  
Each 5/16 gr 70 has a WLL of 4700#.

So with 4 of them you should be able to tie down 18,800 lbs of stuff. So yea, they are big enough.

But I would suggest the 3/8 if you plan on using the chain for other things, like using with the tractor to drag logs or whatnot. But if only for transport, the 5/16 should be fine.

/ 5/16 vs 3/8 chain #4  
I agree with LD1 that 5/16th chain is probably sufficient for tiedown, but I will quibble with the math. When you slam on the brakes or go around a sharp corner a bit fast, only two of the chains are doing most (nearly all) of the work of holding the equipment down. Even so, it isn't as if you were trying to suspend the tractor by the chains...even if you managed to roll the tractor/trailer down an embankment, the 5/16th chains might well hold it all together, if some anchor point didn't give way! Don't try this at home, kids.

/ 5/16 vs 3/8 chain #5  
I agree with LD1 that 5/16th chain is probably sufficient for tiedown, but I will quibble with the math.

Thats only the WLL too. I think the ultimate break strength of chains is 4x the WLL. SO in theory, it would take 37000lbs to break two of the chains.

/ 5/16 vs 3/8 chain #6  
5/16" is fine. Lowes has the best deal on it. They are 20' long. Buy 2 and have them cut it in 1/2 then add 4 mor hooks to the cut ends and you are set.

Chris

/ 5/16 vs 3/8 chain #8  
I have all 3/8". I wish I had 5/16" but I am not switching out everything, just too much money. I actually use a 5/16" to drag logs and lift with, hasn't broke yet. CJ

/ 5/16 vs 3/8 chain
Thanks everyone for your replies.

CJONE, what is the reason you would prefer 5/16" over 3/8". Weight? I'm usually one that prefers overkill when it comes to protection/insurance, so I just wondered.

/ 5/16 vs 3/8 chain #10  
In practicality, you want the two binder chains to = or exceed the maximum weight that you are tying down. 3/8=5200 pounds WLL so that is what I use to tie down my 10,000# tractor with one on each corner and then I add a nylon strap to hold the FEL as required by law. When hauling my 4000#TLB, I put a ratchet strap across the FEL and one on the backhoe plus the 4 - 3/8" chains. It's not going anywhere.