5/16 vs 3/8 chain

/ 5/16 vs 3/8 chain #31  
Perhaps they didn't perform to spec. Both were using grab hooks but only one if the 3 failures was at a hook point. No sharp edges. It was hooked to a clevis.

With the Kubota pull, I have no doubt that I was pulling near 10k drawbar pull. Everything was perfect for traction. Short chain, raised hitch, and maybe a 10 degree downhill in the woods with good footing. It was a gr70, bit in all fairness, it was a 10+ year old chain that has pulled a lot.

The pulls with the BH and 3/8, I think I exceeded the 26k or so rating. We are talking an 18k machine with lits of weight over the pulling tires. No intentional jerk on my part but that dont mean the chain felt some when the tires start spinning and kinda do that little hop thing they do while trying to bite. Certainly not like getting a running start. And kinda like slow motion being in 1st gear, if you can kinda get a visual of what I am saying.

So I think I can attribute the 5/16 breaking due to optimum conditions +old chain. And the 3/8 broke cause it was just too small for a big ole hoe.

Either way, I don't rely on 5/16 if I know I am going to be pulling hard. 3/8 is no big deal for me. And next time I buy some chain, I think I will step up and get some 1/2 for the BH.

Also worth noting that the chain is only tested to 2x wll. And only random same are treated for break strength. So you are really only gaurenteed 2x wll.

I had a chunk of 1/2" chain that we used in the 648 grapple skidder to pull out trucks. I would not wish that on anybody!! On the bright side it never broke. The machine weighs in at 30000lbs and I would bet it could pull all of that. CJ

/ 5/16 vs 3/8 chain #32  
I actually use a 5/16" to drag logs and lift with, hasn't broke yet. CJ

Me too. I carry both sizes on the tractor. The 3/8" is in the bottom of the chain box and only used when I need extra length.

/ 5/16 vs 3/8 chain #33  
I would be curious if anyone here has broke 5/16 grade 70 and how?

Yep. Came upon a 10 wheeler loaded with grain, stuck on the shoulder of a gravel road. Was all he had for chain. I was pulling with a JD770G road grader. No yank. Barely moved him before it broke. Then, and only then was he agreeable to use my 1/2" grade 70 chain. :)

/ 5/16 vs 3/8 chain #34  
5/16" is fine. Lowes has the best deal on it. They are 20' long. Buy 2 and have them cut it in 1/2 then add 4 mor hooks to the cut ends and you are set.

Chris

That gives me an idea. I bought 2 20ft grade 70 chains from Harbor Freight some months back, but with my little MF1010 and the trailer I haul it on, they are waaaaay too long. I can use a cutoff wheel to cut them, but what's the best method to secure the hooks on the new ends?

Also, IF I happen to need longer then 10ft, again, can I link them together, safely? If so, what's the best method to hook two chains together?

/ 5/16 vs 3/8 chain #35  
That gives me an idea. I bought 2 20ft grade 70 chains from Harbor Freight some months back, but with my little MF1010 and the trailer I haul it on, they are waaaaay too long. I can use a cutoff wheel to cut them, but what's the best method to secure the hooks on the new ends?

Also, IF I happen to need longer then 10ft, again, can I link them together, safely? If so, what's the best method to hook two chains together?

Standard grab hooks have a pin that goes through the end link and then uses a cotter pin to retain it.

Chris

/ 5/16 vs 3/8 chain #36  
And you can buy chain couplers that work the same way.

/ 5/16 vs 3/8 chain #37  

Hook them together for short time use. Use the twin clevis for longer term temporary.

clevis.jpg

Bruce

/ 5/16 vs 3/8 chain #38  
I have been switching to locking grab hooks for safety reasons

Attachments

• image-2735465036.jpg
    image-2735465036.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 102
   / 5/16 vs 3/8 chain #39  
Hook them together for short time use. Use the twin clevis for longer term temporary.

View attachment 373415

Bruce
Hooking them together with a grab hook is hard on the link so avoid the very hard pulls. Chain with the short link configuration is more resistant to damage from a grab hook. The chain does weigh more tho than std link.
larry

/ 5/16 vs 3/8 chain #40  
Hooks are available that have better link support.

clevis-grab-hook.jpg

Bruce