50-70hp tractor needed

/ 50-70hp tractor needed #11  
That's awesome, I don't believe I have ever seen that before. Thanks for the education.

/ 50-70hp tractor needed #12  
Back in the old days, a lot of IH and Case-IH tractors offered them.

/ 50-70hp tractor needed #13  
Hello, to the power of 70Km, I would buy a Massey Ferguson or Mctronick in your place, these tractors are probably the best of these smaller tractors or some kubot is also not bad I have a Massey Ferguson series 4700 and it is very good

/ 50-70hp tractor needed #14  
The thing to remember about the older (say 15-25 year old) 70HP tractors is that it will probably be very similar in size to a 80-90HP tractor. The engine, transmission, wheels, tires, frame just about everything may be close enough in size that you might as well open yourself search up to 85HP and enjoy the extra HP. Price may not be much different, either.
For a larger example of what I mean: My Case-IH Magnum 270 is basically the exact same tractor all the way from the Case-IH Magnum 180 up to the 270. The only serious difference is the engine HP and possibly pump size, clutch packs, etc. Side by side, they are very similar in physical appearance and dimensions.
Remember that when tractor shopping. You may be wanting a 70HP tractor, but find an 85HP version that, side by side, looks identical to the 70, but you get more power in that same size package.

For any of you looking at used tractors in the 75HP range with limited funds, take off the orange glasses and look at a Case-IH Maxxum and McCormicks. Serious, albeit smaller farm tractors with heavy built features. They have engines and transmissions that can go in larger units, so you know they are HD.

/ 50-70hp tractor needed #15  
If pulling is your primary function....like pulling logs, weight is king

A heavier 50 hp tractor will pull more than a lighter 70 HP.

50-70hp range.....encompasses tractors under 4000 pounds to tractors over 8000.

Lol at the weight. And since you are shopping used....it's hard to narrow in on just a model or two. Let's say you are shopping 8 manufactures. And each manufacture at any given time might have 5 tractors in their lineup between 50-70hp. Now throw in used so you are shopping tractors over a time span....sat 1995-2015 models. Most manufactures will have changed or updated models 3-4 times over those 20 years.

Do the math and you potentially have 15-20 different models from each of 6-8 different manufactures. You are talking over 150 tractors to consider.

It would be easier to simply see what is available used in your area......and see what fits the bill. That might narrow it down to a dozen tractors or less

/ 50-70hp tractor needed #16  
Good point by LD1 and my aforementioned brands will also be heavier than orange.
Look for one with a powershift transmission. You’ll love it.

Last edited:
   / 50-70hp tractor needed
Good point by LD1 and my aforementioned brands will also be heavier than orange.
Look for one with a powershift transmission. You’ll love it.
Power shuttle is a must! The reason I asked the question is to help narrow my search, locally there isn’t much, the cost of shipping isn’t cheap but opens up way more options. I really like the McCormick x4.2 (lindini) but can’t find any serious reviews.

/ 50-70hp tractor needed
If pulling is your primary function....like pulling logs, weight is king

A heavier 50 hp tractor will pull more than a lighter 70 HP.

50-70hp range.....encompasses tractors under 4000 pounds to tractors over 8000.

Lol at the weight. And since you are shopping used....it's hard to narrow in on just a model or two. Let's say you are shopping 8 manufactures. And each manufacture at any given time might have 5 tractors in their lineup between 50-70hp. Now throw in used so you are shopping tractors over a time span....sat 1995-2015 models. Most manufactures will have changed or updated models 3-4 times over those 20 years.

Do the math and you potentially have 15-20 different models from each of 6-8 different manufactures. You are talking over 150 tractors to consider.

It would be easier to simply see what is available used in your area......and see what fits the bill. That might narrow it down to a dozen tractors or less
I hear ya, my intent behind the post was to help broaden the search as there isn’t much locally for sale. Shipping a tractor isn’t cheap but might end up being cheaper considering the availability of 50-80 here in Maine.

/ 50-70hp tractor needed #19  
If you are doing primarily field work, definitely a gear with power shuttle of some type. If mostly yard and dirt or snow….HST.

Lots of people like to say HST HST for field work until they overheat the transmission and wish they had a gear machine. No comparison in my opinion. The M7060 is a great machine, we love it. Get loaded rears if you need some extra weight.

Lots of great machines in this HP range. You need to do your own homework though. I like having a great dealer relationship, so I would not get something shipped from a distant dealer.

/ 50-70hp tractor needed #20  
Power shuttle is a must! The reason I asked the question is to help narrow my search, locally there isn’t much, the cost of shipping isn’t cheap but opens up way more options. I really like the McCormick x4.2 (lindini) but can’t find any serious reviews.
Power shift and Power shuttle are 2 different things.