6.0 Power Stroke Questions

/ 6.0 Power Stroke Questions #51  
Yep, already forgot 2 things at least:

1) If you do an egr delete on this year model, you will get a check engine light. You can either live with the light, or get a programmer that still supports the egr delete function. My personal favorite, check out an SCT, part number 3015. Check with them, make sure they haven't changed something and it no longer supports it. The EPA has gotten really weird lately because of all the DPF delete stuff thats going on.

2) I should specify, in case your mechanic doesn't know. When the stand pipes are replaced in the high pressure rails, there are dummy plugs in the opposite ends from the stand pipes. These have the same orings, prone to the same failures. Replace them too! Other than that, don't pull any other fittings off of these rails, parts aren't available easily. And the reason for using ford parts, their engineers figured out why they were failing from all the years of unhappy customers, they figured out how to fix them. The aftermarket has just now come out with replacements, I'm unsure of how long they've been able to test the longetivity of their product. Do you want to find out for them?

Oh, and there is another reason for reflashing an older calibrated pcm, but you would have to have a much older calibration. Ford changed the "warm up method" for the injectors to try to fix stiction issues. When the oil cools and thickens in the injectors, it causes a cold start misfire. The injector buzz you hear when you turn the key on (or off on earlier calibrations) is to try to eliminate the stiction. Later calibrations changed when they buzzed, and the frequency and duration at which they buzzed, to better preheat the injectors and push the cold oil out of the tops of them

And you asked about the pump. Its rare to find a bad pump. If I have a pump problem, its almost always the ball bearing in the side of the pump where the low pressure feeds into it has blown out of the side. I don't replace the pump, I tap the hole and install a pipe plug. The pump is very expensive to just throw one in there. If your mechanic is skilled enough and you want to avoid a future problem, ask him to carefully drill the hole very slightly larger to get the ball bearing out, then tap it and plug it, problem solved. He has to pull the pump anyway to install the STC fitting

/ 6.0 Power Stroke Questions #52  
Scott -

Hey thanks a million. It'll take me a month to digest this info.....:laughing: I did recently find a guy that specifically works on these on the side. I will print this out, or make flash cards, so I go in there sounding like I know what I'm talking about....:thumbsup:.
He quoted "around" 4K for all parts and labor.....is this in the ball park?

Wish I was still back in TX, I'd give ya some business. I was stationed at Ft Hood years ago and we used to fly out to San Angelo all the time.....

/ 6.0 Power Stroke Questions #53  
Cool, I have friends there. I go to Killeen all the time. As far as the price, it depends on labor rates, machinists costs, etc. Going through my shop, in my area, with taxes and all, its closer to 7k for everything. The last one I did on the side, for everything, was probably 5k. And if you cut parts out, the price drops. I don't remember, that may have included a bad injector or something. I work on so many of these things, I can't keep them straight. It adds up quick. Plus I use ford parts. The aftermarket stuff is probably cheaper. I just stick with what I know, and I know the ford stuff fires up and doesn't leak, the first time every time. Everyones methods are different. If he can do it for 4k, and its a good job with good parts and he'll stand behind it, then more power to you!

And your welcome to bring it to texas any time! I have customers from all over. I have a guy that comes from new mexico all the time. He buys new trucks, drives them straight here to have me outfit them and go all through them, takes them back home and puts them in service at his business

/ 6.0 Power Stroke Questions #54  
As far as having to digest the info, I know I'm long winded. I'm not a good teacher I suppose, I have a difficult time creating a mental image from words. But I don't mind explaining (or trying to) any part of this system that you would like to know about.

And/or, a good place to look is DTS Home. I haven't been on in quite a while, not sure what their site format looks like these days. Lots of good info. Also look through their coffee table books if they still have them for your model

/ 6.0 Power Stroke Questions #55  
Hey, you're fine! It's refreshing to see a member so helpful to others, sharing their knowledge, and also refreshing without all the "negative verbology" that can be abundant on TBN.
You're a wealth of knowledge that I have/will be tapping into to get the best running engine I can. I will never be nearly as knowledgeable about engines as you, and won't even try. I just greatly appreciate you taking the time to help fellow 6.0 TBNers out!

Now only if you knew someone in Killeen to renovate or buy my house there.....:laughing:

/ 6.0 Power Stroke Questions #56  
Actually I might. My best friend does real estate there. He's more into commercial now but I can check to see if he's still doing residential