angle grinder question

/ angle grinder question #1  

Professor Marvel

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 5000, Kubota 2150 HST, NH TC45 D, JD 375 Baby Skid Steer --- STUFF THAT GOES ON EM, Schwinn Stingray
Need to pick up a new angle grinder. Was looking for 4.5in or 5in. Probably a stupid question but will 4.5 in discs and cutting wheels work on a 5in grinder? If so it seems like a 5in would provide more options. It could use both sizes.
Any thoughts?

/ angle grinder question #4  
Go to HF, they almost always have a cheap one for about $15 to $20.
I picked up their 4 1/2""paddle switch trigger" model, which was recently on sale for $30 ... comes with a wrench, grinding disc and an extra set of brushes ... seems like a decent unit ... and was 1/3 (or less) of the price of my Milwaukee (6146 or 6148)

BTW ... I've used 6" and 7" zip discs on both ... like George mentions: all depends on the size of the arbor home.

/ angle grinder question #5  
what ever you get make sure if you let it go it stops, I was using one that locked on and the wheel caught a piece sticking up and snatched it from my hand the wheel got hold of my shirt and the grinder didn't stop until it got to the collar on my shirt. lesson learned, I will never use another one that locks on and I will never let a supervisor rush me past my safe limit.

/ angle grinder question #6  
Should work if run it without the guard. I won't run one without the guard. I've broken some wheels and they are dangerous when they fly apart.

/ angle grinder question #7  
What options are available for a 5 inch that are not available on a 4.5 inch? I've never even heard of a 5 inch, but that might be because I've always had 4.5 inch angle grinders. Right now I have two Makita's. One is a paddle trigger, the other is a sliding switch. Of the two, the paddle is the more dangerous. You set it down wrong and it starts spinning!!!!! If you ever do any work on a ladder, that becomes a very big issue.

I've had DeWalt, Craftsman and a few Chinese named ones that I can't think of. All where junk and lasted from a few weeks to maybe a year. My Makita's are going on ten and 7 to 8 years now and if one fails, I'll buy another. I got more then my money worth out of them.

Eddie

/ angle grinder question #8  
5" is very popular in fab shops where you use a lot of 36 grit discs to grind welds. When Amazon first started selling tools, I had a 25% off coupon and I researched the difference between a 4.5 and 5 inch Milwaukee, as we'd just got them at work and I liked them very much. The power units carry the same part number, the $30 difference in price was for the guard that accommodated a bigger disc. Needless to say I got the cheaper one as the guard stays off with sanding discs. It does have a paddle switch, but it also had a little spring loaded lock that needs to be fingered back before it will move, you just get used to flipping it back when you pick it up. No chance of it going off if you set it down wrong. Now my Black and Decker paddle switch one will go on, it needs to be set down upside down. or hung.

/ angle grinder question #9  
I've always used Milwaukee, Makita and Bosch. Had a Ryobi for a while - bought it because I needed it on a job and didn't have one, went to the closest big box store. The switch stuck in the on position after less than a year of intermittent use. The little things can be dangerous as Woody said. Google "angle grinder accident" before you take the guard off.

/ angle grinder question #10  
Momentary triggers (paddle switch) and slide on/off switches both have their places and uses. I prefer the paddle switch myself for general work, because of the ease of control it offers.

OTOH, I spent a good deal of time cleaning up some 3 x 2 x 1/4 wall rectangular tubing today using a cup brush ... for that, the slide switch was the way to go (YMMV)

One of the things Uncle Buck taught me early on was to never set down a grinder with the business side down ...