Any advice for chains/straps without hacking up my tractor or trailer?

/ Any advice for chains/straps without hacking up my tractor or trailer? #31  
Now I've been chastised, too. Probably scarred for life.

You will survive Rick. There are alot of super truckers in the world who can do no wrong until they screw up. I was in agreement with your statement about interpreting the DOT in a logical way doesn't always mean you are legal. They have certain regs that they enforce strictly because they deal wi th them on a regular basis so at times it's better to make your load look like the other instead of trying to get away with less or different. The larger hoes can't lock the booms up because of height issues and the regulations about securement. The law men are used to seeing them on the deck and tied down through the bucket with atleast one type of securement and sometimes another over the boom depending on length. (I know I'm stating the obvious to you here but not everyone has been following along.). Most people with a bx are not going to get stopped unless they are doing something blatantly illegal or are in an accident. IMO, if you load up something and don't secure it like you are going to get in an accident you are likely doing it wrong. The boasting about pulling twice the legal weight than a truck can also irritates me, it's not the pulling that's important, it's the panic stopping that should be the main concern.

/ Any advice for chains/straps without hacking up my tractor or trailer? #32  
Unless the DOT regs have changed, under 10k if that backhoe can be pinned, it is legal. The loader bucket should be on the deck or deck lip or something solid, I agree on that. Personally, I would have the backhoe on the deck as well as long as it can set well on the trailer and not be barely catching it. Securely tied down of course.

One of my pet peeves that I have not seen mentioned is the lower hook on the straps. Should that strap slack then "bingo", it's loose. Those bent hooks will not go through the stake pockets so that the hook can hang properly. Even if they could and "J" hooks are the same way in this, the webbing is likely going to rub the edges of the stake pocket.

/ Any advice for chains/straps without hacking up my tractor or trailer? #33  
One of my pet peeves that I have not seen mentioned is the lower hook on the straps. Should that strap slack then "bingo", it's loose. Those bent hooks will not go through the stake pockets so that the hook can hang properly. Even if they could and "J" hooks are the same way in this, the webbing is likely going to rub the edges of the stake pocket.

That is exactly why I use ratchet straps with chain / hooks on end of straps. I drop chain and hook through stake pockets, bring hook up outside of pocket and hook it on top of stake pocket. Also use strap protectors every place stop goes over a sharp area. See post above.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Any advice for chains/straps without hacking up my tractor or trailer?
This is what I ended up with.... Thank you all!...Learned something too.

1108150923-00.jpg1108151120-00.jpg1108151120-01.jpg1108151120-02.jpg1108151121-00.jpg1108151217-00.jpg Woodskiff

/ Any advice for chains/straps without hacking up my tractor or trailer? #35  
Re: This is what I ended up with.... Thank you all!...Learned something too.

Looks good. Just a couple changes though. The front chains should not be 90* to the tractor but closer to 45* (see pic) just like the chains on the back. Also, you'll need some protection on the straps going over the BH bucket to protect the bucket from cutting into the straps (pic). I can't see how the front bucket straps connect to the trailer but they need protection if they go over a sharp metal surface as well.

Attachments

• 1108151120-00.jpg
    1108151120-00.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 179
  • 1108151120-02.jpg
    1108151120-02.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 198
   / Any advice for chains/straps without hacking up my tractor or trailer?

Looks good. Just a couple changes though. The front chains should not be 90* to the tractor but closer to 45* (see pic) just like the chains on the back. Also, you'll need some protection on the straps going over the BH bucket to protect the bucket from cutting into the straps (pic). I can't see how the front bucket straps connect to the trailer but they need protection if they go over a sharp metal surface as well.
Agree. Thank You. I've got a couple of ideas for the front chain. I'm also working on some used Fire Hose to use as a chafing guard. Also, I'm drawing up a welding idea that might work for the "quick set up" front bracket to give me the angle. As I said to my son..I don't want to be laying all over the trailer hooking it up after working at his house for free. HaHaha.:laughing:

/ Any advice for chains/straps without hacking up my tractor or trailer? #37  
Agree. Thank You. I've got a couple of ideas for the front chain. I'm also working on some used Fire Hose to use as a chafing guard. Also, I'm drawing up a welding idea that might work for the "quick set up" front bracket to give me the angle. As I said to my son..I don't want to be laying all over the trailer hooking it up after working at his house for free. HaHaha.:laughing:

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/141326753972

These protectors work well but, have used old bicycle tube sections over straps also.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Any advice for chains/straps without hacking up my tractor or trailer? #38  
I ran 10-15k lbs rated straps over the brush Girard on my L3200. There were corners on the metal, but nothing I could cut myself on unless I punched it hard. I cranked it down tight & took off for a 30 minute drive. At the other end, the strap was cut about 1/3 of the way through. Opened my eyes.

I could have done a better job finding a flat or round place to route the strap I guess. Instead I got some chains & binders, now only use those for my tractor or anything else metal that I need to secure to the trailer.

/ Any advice for chains/straps without hacking up my tractor or trailer? #39  

You'll need to get some angle on the front links. The machine is free to move rearwards as you have it. Also the bucket has to be anchored entirely to the deck... not back to the machine.

If you can get a solid point at the loader mount, it will be much better.

1108151120-02.jpg

/ Any advice for chains/straps without hacking up my tractor or trailer? #40  

I agree.

Chris