Anyone know this post hole digger?

/ Anyone know this post hole digger? #1  

gsganzer

Elite Member
Tractor
L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM
I'm tired of the crappy clamshell style post hole diggers and I'm on a quest to find one that I used as a kid that was radically different, that I've never seen since.

Instead of a clamshell digger that has a fulcrum point, this one had one heavy digging blade fixed to one handle (stout wooden handle much like a wheelbarrow handle) and the other one (scooping blade) would cam over by use of a lever that was attached to the stout fixed handle. This allowed you to really jam it down in the hole, much like a digging bar to loosen the material in the bottom of the hole. When you closed the scoop, it closed tightly and allowed you to really pull up a lot of material (unlike a clamshell where half the material falls out if you don't squeeze it together tight enough)

I've googled myself to death trying to see if anyone still makes one. I'm sure they weren't cheap. I remember the digging blade being a pretty stout forging. We regularly used it to dig in rocky New England soil and it worked like a charm.

Has anyone seen one like this?

Edit: Ha! Just found it. It's called an Erie or Boston Digger. It's number 3 in this link. Now I at least know what it's called.

Edit again: And here it is for sale. I suspected it was pricey. Boston Post Hole Digger This place sells it and also replacement parts. Nu Way Digger

Last edited:
   / Anyone know this post hole digger?
I never saw one like that before.

I spent the last 2 days augering, jackhammering and cleaning out 22 post holes (with many more to go). I had to jackhammer all but 3 of those holes. The worst part of it all was using a clam shell style post digger to clear the holes. There's just something stupidly awkward about keeping the handles spread while simultaneously lifting the debris out of the hole. And if you have a stone you're removing, you get the stone, but all the loose soil falls out of the clamshell because the jaws remain open. I'm convinced a clamshell digger was designed as a torture device for the user.

Buy once and cry once. If you need a post hole digger, buy a Boston Digger the first time and save yourself the grief. You can pass it on to your kids.

/ Anyone know this post hole digger? #4  
Well if life is good I will never have to do another post hole. But if I do, glad to know there is a better tool than the clam shell digger!

/ Anyone know this post hole digger? #5  
if i didnt have an auger, id give that boston digger a try.

/ Anyone know this post hole digger? #6  
That does look interesting. I also like the double-fulcrum one (number 4 on your list) but have never seen or used one.

What I ended up with was this style, which works very well in my sandy soil.
Amazon.com: Seymour 2136 AU-S6 Iwan Auger with Hardwood Handle, 6" Diameter: SEYMOUR MIDWEST: Industrial & Scientific

The handle upright threads onto the digger body with a pipe thread, so I added a 3' extension. Makes it a little ungainly to start but it means I don't have to bend way over to finish the hole. Also means that the coupler is about even with the ground when I am down 4'.

Only drawback is it doesn't handle rocks well. If the rock isn't too far down, I will just reach down and grab it with my hand, but I sometimes have to get the regular clamshell digger out grab the rocks.

/ Anyone know this post hole digger? #7  
That does look interesting. I also like the double-fulcrum one (number 4 on your list) but have never seen or used one.

What I ended up with was this style, which works very well in my sandy soil.
Amazon.com: Seymour 2136 AU-S6 Iwan Auger with Hardwood Handle, 6" Diameter: SEYMOUR MIDWEST: Industrial & Scientific

The handle upright threads onto the digger body with a pipe thread, so I added a 3' extension. Makes it a little ungainly to start but it means I don't have to bend way over to finish the hole. Also means that the coupler is about even with the ground when I am down 4'.

Only drawback is it doesn't handle rocks well. If the rock isn't too far down, I will just reach down and grab it with my hand, but I sometimes have to get the regular clamshell digger out grab the rocks.
My parents had one like that. If I recall we made a collar of ducktape around the bottom to keep dirt from falling out the sides. 20+ years since I used it so I'm a bit fuzzy on the details. I don't recall it being any easier or harder than the clamshell type. It was a bit of a pain to get dirt out if things were wet or sticky at all.

/ Anyone know this post hole digger? #8  
I see those diggers at Auctions all the time ,they might bring $15.00. The problem is that they are very heavy.You use those for an hour and you are worn out.

/ Anyone know this post hole digger? #9  
Subcontractor for local utility uses that type of digger when the new pole must be hand dug