Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts?

/ Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts? #211  
Still supposed to use turn signals, so if they came into circle from other side, they should exit this side if no signal, meaning you can jump in.

/ Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts? #213  
I don't know so I asked...

If posted speed is 65 and and you decide to pass the vehicle ahead traveling 63 what happens when you blow by at 73 in the eyes of the law?

Depends on the state. In Washington nothing would happen as it "legal to speed while passing" Nothing said about any limit to that speed.

/ Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts? #214  
The waitee could also just grow a pair and launch into the circle. If the car they are waiting for is still back before the prior exit, then they theoretically have all the space and time then need to just get into the circle without getting hit.
Yes, some people being chicken are part of the problem.

Keep in mind there are lots of different types of roundabouts. If your thinking long sweeping entrances, that keep the entering and exiting traffic divided, forget it. This is a very old roundabout. Think 4 way stop, with a big circle in the middle. All entering and exiting vehicles are side by side.

At this roundabout, when there is a line of vehicles coming toward you, and none are signaling, there really isn't a good chance to enter. By the time you realize the first car is exiting, there is a second one right behind them in the same position, and so on. As soon as you decide they are all exiting, so screw it, I'm going, someone doesn't exit, and you just cut off a vehicle with the right of way. Meanwhile, the traffic backs up.

A modern version would be better. But, it's all historical land, and buildings around it. Even the middle of the circle is a monument. So, none of it is likely to change anytime soon.

Last edited:
   / Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts? #215  
Depends on the state. In Washington nothing would happen as it "legal to speed while passing" Nothing said about any limit to that speed.
Well.... it does, kinda:
only such a speed and for only such a distance as is necessary to complete the pass with a reasonable margin of safety.
You'll note that whether or not you used such a speed that was "reasonable" is up to the police officer.

Personally I'd go for it if I don't see police in the vicinity, but I'd try to keep it within about 5mph of the speed limit if I expect this defense to stick.

On the other hand, if I don't expect to need to use this as a defense... I start my acceleration a few car lengths behind who I'm going to pass, make a very brief and fast pass, and then decrease my speed once past them. I find the car I'm passing is less likely to try to speed-match during a pass this way (major peeve).

/ Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts? #216  
The waitee could also just grow a pair and launch into the circle. If the car they are waiting for is still back before the prior exit, then they theoretically have all the space and time then need to just get into the circle without getting hit.
That's the problem, many people don't know how to merge into the circle traffic flow.

/ Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts? #218  
It always bugged me that the driving test would fail someone for not being able to parallel park, but did not even bother to test one's ability to merge onto a highway.

Parallel parking can be avoided very easily. Merging is fundamental. (MIF?)

/ Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts? #219  
Round abouts require a person to make a decision.

Stop lites tell you what to do.

Some people are decision makers, others need/want to be told what to do.

Put a square peg in a round hole and see what you get.

Peg ( peggy?) ....freudian, no pun intended

/ Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts? #220  
Around my parts we have two new roundabouts. They work, the only issue is some over educated engineer must have designed them for golf carts. Not kidding. You should see the tire marks on the curves.

It's a good power steering test. I avoid the road as much as I can, because, it is just not pleasant. LOL.