At Home In The Woods

/ At Home In The Woods #3,591  
Its a bit late for this - but if you insisnt on cleaning your gutters several times a year, without adding the leaf guards, I'd buy one of those motorized scaffold lifts. :thumbsup:

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,592  
RadarTech said:
Make sure you get the proper length measurement system with yours, mind had the wrong one and and it just never Did work right.. The boards only got shorter!!!!!
For one of my cuts, I just cut the board using the wrong mark on the board. OOPS!

When I had all the boards cut for the first shelf, I laid out all the boards for that shelf in order to check my work. I found that the OSB was not all exactly the same width and that my original board cuts were not going to work. I needed to provide more tolerance in the framing to allow for OSB that varied in width from the store by 1/4".

I am extremely glad that I checked things for the first shelf before cutting all the boards. Trying to shave 1/4" off the edge of the OSB would have been messy and not much fun.

Obed

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,593  
radioman said:
Its a bit late for this - but if you insist on cleaning your gutters several times a year, without adding the leaf guards, I'd buy one of those motorized scaffold lifts. :thumbsup:
I have observed something of a common theme in this thread. You guys sure are willing to help me spend my money!:)

Obed

/ At Home In The Woods #3,594  
I have observed something of a common theme in this thread. You guys sure are willing to help me spend my money!:)

Obed
Well you can't take it with you so you might as well spread it around while your here:D.

/ At Home In The Woods #3,595  
Obed said:

Obed

Lol. Cracking up!

/ At Home In The Woods #3,596  
Yes, a table saw would be very nice to have. I have seen them on Craigslist and my mouth has watered.
How much does one of these cost?

Obed

Firt off you can get a table saw on sale for $70 at lowes on black friday or similar sale or $90-100 regular. There good enough for stuff like this but would not make fine furnature on one. I know i have one. The blade is about 1 degree from verticle but i dotn make cabinets with it and can probly adjust it if i tried. It sits on its own base as well.

Also if you built a jig for cutting the 35 2x4s you only measure twice screww the jig to the table and use your chop saw to cut them off as fast as you can position them. I worked for a carpenter at a young age, even they do this to cut repetitive cuts like say balasters for a stair case wher eyou need to cut like 75 of them.

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,597  
clemsonfor said:
Firt off you can get a table saw on sale for $70 at lowes on black friday or similar sale or $90-100 regular. There good enough for stuff like this but would not make fine furnature on one. I know i have one. The blade is about 1 degree from verticle but i dotn make cabinets with it and can probly adjust it if i tried. It sits on its own base as well.
Wow, for under $100 I'm tempted.
Also if you built a jig for cutting the 35 2x4s you only measure twice screww the jig to the table and use your chop saw to cut them off as fast as you can position them. I worked for a carpenter at a young age, even they do this to cut repetitive cuts like say balasters for a stair case wher eyou need to cut like 75 of them.
Yes that sounds like the ticket.

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,598  
Tonight we finished the framing for the first shelving unit.

Attachments

• IMG_2322.JPG
    IMG_2322.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_2351.JPG
    IMG_2351.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_2353.JPG
    IMG_2353.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_2354.JPG
    IMG_2354.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 257
   / At Home In The Woods #3,599  
Wow! A corded drill?!:confused2: They still make those?:laughing:
If it were me I'd be using a cordless drill driver with impact type oscillating drive to screw in any fasteners fast and with next to no effort or time wasted. Use torx head screws too, and experience no cam out, no broken heads, and no problems whatsoever! Trust me- I've been using these type tools for years and would never again use Phillips, square drive or any other screw to fasten things like you are doing....
I guess there is something to be said for doing it old school: 'something'.
If you were to go to a impact driver you will NEVER go back, except possibly for something that needs extreme torque; which is sometimes better accomplished with a hi-speed corded drill/driver. Where do corded drills plug into again?:)

Here's one example: read the reviews in this add- they're exactly my experience. I turned my electrician on to this and he's never looked back!

BTD142HW 18-Volt Compact Lithium-Ion 1/4 in. Impact Driver Kit-BTD142HW at The Home Depot

I personally have an early model 14.4 volt and it rocks- but the newer 18+ volts are twice as good- I've used both and the 18+ will outdrive the 14volt by far- it's way faster and it will drive huge lag screws for decking, etc.

/ At Home In The Woods #3,600  
Wow! A corded drill?!:confused2: They still make those?:laughing:
If it were me I'd be using a cordless drill driver with impact type oscillating drive to screw in any fasteners fast and with next to no effort or time wasted. Use torx head screws too, and experience no cam out, no broken heads, and no problems whatsoever! Trust me- I've been using these type tools for years and would never again use Phillips, square drive or any other screw to fasten things like you are doing....
I guess there is something to be said for doing it old school: 'something'.
If you were to go to a impact driver you will NEVER go back, except possibly for something that needs extreme torque; which is sometimes better accomplished with a hi-speed corded drill/driver. Where do corded drills plug into again?:)

Here's one example: read the reviews in this add- they're exactly my experience. I turned my electrician on to this and he's never looked back!

BTD142HW 18-Volt Compact Lithium-Ion 1/4 in. Impact Driver Kit-BTD142HW at The Home Depot

I personally have an early model 14.4 volt and it rocks- but the newer 18+ volts are twice as good- I've used both and the 18+ will outdrive the 14volt by far- it's way faster and it will drive huge lag screws for decking, etc.

I agree once you use a cordless impact you won't know how you got by without one.

I got tired of buying batteries for my cordless tools (makita, milwaukee etc) and just bought my first Rigid -- lifetime free battery replacement. :thumbsup: