AZ ranch

/ AZ ranch
#1,341  
Good to hear from you again. Thanks for sharing pics of your beautiful place. Have been a fan of this thread since its inception.

I pray your health is doing well.
Health is pretty good, now. Back in March the doc said I was the heaviest ever (225) and he was talking Lipitor and something for blood pressure. I told him I’d fix it. I really dislike prescriptions. I mean really, really dislike medications. I don’t take anything except some vitamin supplements.
In the last 4 months I have lost 42 pounds and I go in next week for blood work. I cleaned up my diet so I expect my cholesterol to be way down. I’m at 183 pounds now but plan to get down to 153 By Labor Day.
I work out a couple times a week and walk about 40-50 miles a week. In March I could do 18 sit-ups. Yesterday I did 120. Not too bad for a 72 yr old fart.

/ AZ ranch #1,342  
I'm a lot heavier then you and I need to lose weight. What was your diet like before and what are you eating now?

/ AZ ranch
#1,343  
I'm a lot heavier then you and I need to lose weight. What was your diet like before and what are you eating now?
I previously ate just about everything, including lots of junk food and snacks. After doing a lot of research, I found the best way to lose weight and prevent disease is to go the totally plant based whole food method. No meat, no dairy, nothing processed (almost everything that comes in a box). I mostly eat fresh veggies, fruit, grains, and beans.

I know that’s too cold Turkey for most people but I now eat to live instead of living to eat. You can work your way into it by gradually adding more veggies. I just decided to give it all up at once and go totally with the program.

you can find a lot of info on the Food Revolution Network at Foodrevolution.org

I gave up snacking and very rarely do I eat anything after 4pm.
Many days I just eat 2 meals, one at 6am and the other at 2pm.
Sometimes I just eat one meal. Depends how fast you want to lose.

Most people can’t give up their meat, but it wasn’t that big of a deal for me. I love beans, all kinds of beans. There’s a direct corolation between eating animal products and the major diseases - cancer, heart disease, diabetes.

I’m sure I’ll get stomped on by a lot of meat-lovers, but I’m not trying to force anything on anybody. Just answering your question. It works for me.

/ AZ ranch
#1,345  
Thank you, I dont think that I can give up on meat, but I could easily add more veggies and less food from a box.
Excellent! Processed food has so much of the good stuff taken out and so much questionable stuff added. I say, if you can’t pronounce it, don’t eat it.
Same with processed meats, so hopefully the meat you do eat is fresh from the butcher and not the packaged processed meats.

/ AZ ranch #1,348  
why 153? I decided to lose weight, when I was 40. I started eating less, exercising more, and eating mostly fruit. When I went from 210 down to 175, my close friends (and their wives) told me "stop losing weight". "You don't need to lose any more weight". I was the same weight as when I got out of the service, aged 27, and I could run my 2 miles in 11:57

I remember I would sit in traffic and strain my different leg muscles, to burn calories. I did a lot of aerobics and light weight lifting (small 5-8lb dumbells), for cardio and calorie burning.

Now, 22 years later, I've gained back about 2 lbs a year. I love food. My weakness.

/ AZ ranch #1,350  
Excellent! Processed food has so much of the good stuff taken out and so much questionable stuff added. I say, if you can’t pronounce it, don’t eat it.
Same with processed meats, so hopefully the meat you do eat is fresh from the butcher and not the packaged processed meats.
Since my wife's cancer, we've eliminated almost all processed foods, and we're trying to do even better. Her cancer affected her gut, and it made her super sensitive to what she eats. Unfortunately for me, she is an excellent cook, and I'm an excellent eater. I think my downfall is in always finishing my plate, and then never saying no to seconds.