Building my Fence

/ Building my Fence #61  
For the 15 acre goat pasture ran woven wire with non high tensile barb wire on top. Steep rough ground surrounding some kudzu. Dehorned all my goats. They could reach thru and kept the fence rows clean. A Great Pyrenees protected against coyotes and domestic dogs. Also put horses in there too and with barn run in stalls for goat only. Goats improved the pasture and cleared the woods. With some help eliminated the kudzu, multiflora rose, privet, honeysuckle and autumn olive.
I've got 70 acres of timber that needs cleaned. No fence. I need to talk to some of the sheep/goat ranchers around me and see if they would be interested in free grazing. Goats will eat anything they can swallow. Even stand on their back legs to reach higher. That's exactly what my timber needs!!!

/ Building my Fence #62  
I started out using the H design and changed to a double H design. The double H is still tight after more than 20 years. The corner posts on the single H's tend to heave. I wouldn't use barbed wire near horses. We used 2x4 no climb and 2 hot wires. Goats? Lol, I was so happy on butcher day when those goats got the knife!

/ Building my Fence #63  
I've got 70 acres of timber that needs cleaned. No fence. I need to talk to some of the sheep/goat ranchers around me and see if they would be interested in free grazing. Goats will eat anything they can swallow. Even stand on their back legs to reach higher. That's exactly what my timber needs!!!

Goats are browsers not grazers is a common misconception.
Couple of the surrounding cities actually pay to have farmers temporary fence and used goats to clean up lots and parts of parks and trails where they use to have to chemicals or high cost labor and machinery. Just smart community interaction and tax payer savings. Win win.

Fencing is major investment. Several innovated equipment designs to deploy and retrieve fencing for pasture rotation.

/ Building my Fence #64  
Goats are browsers not grazers is a common misconception.
Couple of the surrounding cities actually pay to have farmers temporary fence and used goats to clean up lots and parts of parks and trails where they use to have to chemicals or high cost labor and machinery. Just smart community interaction and tax payer savings. Win win.

Fencing is major investment. Several innovated equipment designs to deploy and retrieve fencing for pasture rotation.
I'll make contact with some of the goat ranchers around me and see if they are interested. If so, I'll take a bunch of pics and start a thread about the results. :)

/ Building my Fence #65  
I am getting materials for 700' fence project - will be 4' high 11GA 2x4 welded wire Black PVC coated to 9GA so about 1/8" (160 lbs/100' its heavy) and now looking at posts. Went to TSC yesterday, and the 8' PT rounds 4/5's are $13, the 5/6 $20, 6/7's $24 ea. so started looking at .40 4x6 PT 8' from HD are $24 and 4x4x8 are $13.

I leaning towards the TSC 5/6x8' line posts - they have had them since last year, so are pretty dry, then 6/7's for corners/gates. Will paint posts black as well, and no steel T posts (wife wants consistent look).

Looking for feedback using either 4x4 or 4x6 PT (3.5x5.5) for the line posts vs the full 5/6 PT from TSC? My concern is the PT from HD or Lowes are wet and may shrink/warp/twist once installed?

/ Building my Fence
Treated 4x4 and 4x6s will bend on you as they dry out. They have become really bad

/ Building my Fence #67  
I'm not giving up yet!!! :D

The second post and the horizontal brace in the H design do nothing without the angle brace.

H design is used most in my area. Knowing the angle brace is key to success.

I've not saw it done like Eddie is doing it. I have no experience to base it's success on.

But then,,,, here in the great State of Missouri,,, we would cut the verticals on the woven wire and wrap all the way around the post tying each horizontal wire back onto itself. Same with barbed wire. The staples only keep the wire from sliding up/down the post.
You are correct about wrapping the wire. So much engineering has gone into this, too much to rely on staples..........

Best,

ed

ed

/ Building my Fence #69  
They have a good tutorial on fence building: Stay-Tuff | Home of the Fixed Knot Fence | Fixed Knot Fencing

Also, they recommend pulling the wire together from the middle on the ground. Then standing it up.

They use double H braces.
I learned quite a bit about building fence from an old guy that did it all his life. One thing I never forgot was, use short staples in old locust posts, you'll never get a long staple driven straight. The double H was from experience. You always remember the mistakes you make, especially when you're the one that has to fix them.

Kevin

/ Building my Fence #70  
I learned quite a bit about building fence from an old guy that did it all his life. One thing I never forgot was, use short staples in old locust posts, you'll never get a long staple driven straight. The double H was from experience. You always remember the mistakes you make, especially when you're the one that has to fix them.

Kevin
There is no substitute for experience that is for sure!

I've learned from my bad experiences and I've learned from my good experiences. I'd like to focus my future learning on my good experiences and the bad experiences of someone else.

The way they pulled fence fabric from the middle on the ground was new to me. Looked like a good idea.