Buying Advice B2920 vs B2630

/ B2920 vs B2630 #1  

hwatkins

Tractor
Kubota B2920
First off, I wanted to thank all the posters on this board, it really helps to get feedback from people that own the equipment.

I think I've followed the same path as many on this board, looking at BX1860 first, then BX2360 and BX2660. I have not ruled these out, but I have 6.5 acres mostly wooded with about 1.5 acres of lawn. It seems like the BX series would be fine for my grass and some loader work, but the clearance is not that great to take it back in the woods. I also worry that the hydraulics are about half the gpm's of the B series, plus it looks like some people have problems with certain three point hitch implements not fitting.

I'm primarily want to cut the grass, but I will be getting a loader mostly for hauling wood chips from where the tree people will drop them near the road to the back part of the property for compost. I'm interested in getting a tiller and a chipper eventually, but at first it will just be the MMM and Loader.

I think the B2920 will do everything I need, but I've read on this form that the quarter inching valve is the spawn of the devil and should be avoided, and to only go with the position control of the B2630 or B3030. There is about a $1800 dollar difference (my quoted price so far) between B2920 and B2630, with the B2630 being more expensive. It also looks like the MMM for the B2630 is not suspended but rides on the deck wheels, the guy at the tractor place said that make the cut look worse.

I've heard more recent posts say the quarter inching valve actually does hold it's position if adjusted right, you are still limited to quarter inch increments but the TPH won't keep dropping. It would be nice to confirm this.

So now I'm back to being stuck because I don't want to pay more for position control that I most likely won't need and also have a lesser mower, but I also don't want to feel a couple of months down the line that I should have gotten the position control. I think there are some other differences like a better seat and telescopic links on the PTO making the hook up of implements better.

Thanks for any advice.

/ B2920 vs B2630 #2  
The quarter inch valve will not hold an implement at a set height. For my applications, this is only a problem when using the brush hog. As you mow, because the weight of the mower in the front is held up by the 3 pt hitch, it will slowly drop and you have to bump it back up. I put chains to hold mine up and it reduced the problem significantly for me. To give you an idea, I put the box blade that weighs about 500# on mine and raised it and it dropped about 3/4 inch in 10 minutes with or without the engine running. The good side I guess about the system is it allows you to make slow adjustments up or down. As I said, for my purposes, I have no real issue with the 1/4" valve with anything I use except the rotory cut mower.

The mower deck for the B2920 is suspended. It can be set to whatever setting you want and will stay there so that is uneffected.

I have sat on a B3030 and it is a very nice tractor and except for the engine size, the 2630 is the same. It is unfortunate they don't give you the choice of mower deck for it. I did put the telescopic stabilizers for the 3 pt hitch on mine like the Bxx30's have which are nice. They are about $200.

/ B2920 vs B2630 #3  
We all get carried away with details sometimes, and I am as guilty as anyone. You didn't mention anthing that position control would help with except if some of your mowing will be with a rotary cutter. I just came in from using my box blade for the first time since I got the 1//4 inching adjusted right, and I now think that the 1/4 inching will be OK for my needs. Once I learned to get the unadjustable bottom arm conneced first, I've had no issues with the 3pt on mine either. I like the drive over deck, and suspended deck on the B2920 better too though I think a BX is best for mowing.

/ B2920 vs B2630 #4  
you are still limited to quarter inch increments

I am not sure what you ment by that.

There are two positions for controling the 3 pt hitch with the 1/4 inch valve system. If you push the handle away from the seat and move it back or forward, the implement will raise or lower very quickly. If you pull the handle toward the seat before moving it back or forward, it will move very slowly. Or if you pull it toward your leg and give it a little quick "bump" either way it should move the implement about 1/4" depending on how the stops are set. I think those stops were not set right on Chucks to begin with. Mine were right from the beginning so I was having a hard time visualizing the problem he had been having.

I would agree with Chuck that given what you listed, you probably won't notice an issue. When I use the box blade, I put it on the ground and pull it, how deep it digs is affected more by the top link adjustment than anything else. If it is pulling too hard, I bump the control a little and raise is a little.

/ B2920 vs B2630 #5  
In my case it was the physical size that steered me to the 2920. It was (and is) about as big a tractor as I want for what I do (job 1: mowing about 4 acres). I would have liked the slightly higher capacity of the loader and BH on the 2630, but to be honest I use those a lot less (so far) than I had imagined I would. To be honest, I think in actual use they are very close with a slight edge to the 2630. At this point I can't imagine it being better than my 2920. Good luck with your choice!

/ B2920 vs B2630
I have a paved driveway so don't plan on needing a box scraper. I really can not think of any implements except a rotary cutter where I would be carrying the weight of the implement with the TPH, but again this will be my first and hopefully only tractor so I'm not sure if I'm thinking through everything.

The other implements I think I will want in the future are tiller, chipper and log splitter and don't need position control.

Just trying to make the purchase with both eyes open so I'm not disappointed later.

/ B2920 vs B2630 #7  
I have a B2630 and it is a real nice tractor. I chose the B2630 over the B2920 because of several different points: hydraulic pto, extend-able lower links, position control, pin type sway bars (no turnbuckles) and a couple of others that I can not think of at this time. The B2630 is a physically bigger tractor than the B2920, not much, but bigger. This is not meant as a plus or a minus, just point of fact. I went with a Land pride RTR60 rear mower over a MM mower. I have had mm's in the past there okay but the 3pt is a little easier for me to do maintenance on than the mmm. I sharpen my blades quite often. The rear mower does a very good job of mowing plus I can back up and mow the pond banks, which you cannot do with a mmm.

I do not have a loader on this tractor, I have one on my bigger one, so I can't give any advice on that other than the B2630 would easily handle one. I do have 275lbs of suitcase weights on the front which is a necessity without the loader.

The negatives on the B2630 are not deal breakers, just a minor irratant: it does not have suspended brake pedals like my larger tractor and the toe of my boot is always bumping into the pedal arms when my foot is on the HST pedal: the deck is just high enough to make a big step and is uncomfortable for someone with arthritus in their hips, I am going to add a step on mine. The "Deluxe" tool box door will not stay closed. The plastic door will most likely not survive long anyway so I am thinking about building a heavier door out of metal and using a magnetic catch. Not a negative but the tractor has no clutch pedal, everything is hydraulic. The HST makes the clutch unnecessary and there is a very small or no learning curve without it.

This post is not to knock the B2920 only to point out why I chose the B2630 over the B2920. Both are vey good tractors and I am sure you will be happy with either.

/ B2920 vs B2630 #8  
In the end, it is going to depend on your priorities. I personally will never buy another tractor without position control "if" it is available in the size I want. However since they don't make a BX with it, I will live with non position control as I have for the past eight years.

I am afraid some of us older guys with farming back grounds may be putting too much emphasis on position control as that is what we grew up using and what works best for us. For a person new to tractors, especially the SCUT/CUT segment, you probably won't miss what you have never had and will learn to do everything you need whatever type of three-point you get.

I really like the B Series and have gone to buy one twice, but will probably never own one.

Good luck with your shopping.

/ B2920 vs B2630 #9  
Based on your described uses, there is no real reason to get the B2920 over the B2620. There is another $900-1000 price differential.

/ B2920 vs B2630 #10  
"the deck is just high enough to make a big step and is uncomfortable for someone with arthritus in their hips, I am going to add a step on mine. "

The new B3300 SU comes with a step that I'll bet will bolt right on to your B2630.