Bathroom Re-model concrete foundation

/ Bathroom Re-model concrete foundation #1  

tjkubota93

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota bx1860
The shower pan in the poorly constructed tile shower we had started leaking. So I tore out the tub and built a really nice and much bigger shower. The old crappy shower was between my wife's closet and the toilet room. Our plans are to extend the toilet room 1 ft and use the remainder to expand the wife's closest. So I have to get rid of the plumbing that's in the way. Is it ok to cut out a square around the plumbing and connect it to the hole where the drain is? I am planning on capping the drain and vent, then re-working the copper supply pipes so they are below the concrete level covering with plastic and then concrete. Would making a bigger hole affect the strength of the slab? I outlined the proposed new hole with blue tape. 20190221_225215.jpeg20190221_225241.jpeg20190221_230630.jpeg20190221_225343.jpeg

/ Bathroom Re-model concrete foundation #2  
Plumber here- I have no idea what you are asking? “Connect it to the hole” “rework the copper supply lines”? I’m just not sure what you are asking- move the plumbing or abandon the plumbing?

As far as making the concrete hole bigger- that’s not an issue. Try to keep any rebar you hit or replace it. Also keep any vapor barrier intact or repaired.

/ Bathroom Re-model concrete foundation #3  
Don't worry about the floor. Set the new shower drain and trap in concrete so it doesn't move as you work. If subterranean moisture is a problem there make sure a new moisture barrier is intact, sealed to the existing and any penetrating pipes before replacing the slab. I would not worry about any re-bar or wire mesh, area is not that big.

I would get rid of that window, they are a constant source of water migration in showers and bathrooms. They make them that open for fresh air. You probably have water damage and probably mold under that window. I just did my bathroom and the widow (not even in the shower) had that problem. Along with a leaking drain I replaced all the exterior wall studs, bottom plate, and some plywood sub-floor. Install a sky light like I did.

Ron

/ Bathroom Re-model concrete foundation
Don't worry about the floor. Set the new shower drain and trap in concrete so it doesn't move as you work. If subterranean moisture is a problem there make sure a new moisture barrier is intact, sealed to the existing and any penetrating pipes before replacing the slab. I would not worry about any re-bar or wire mesh, area is not that big.

I would get rid of that window, they are a constant source of water migration in showers and bathrooms. They make them that open for fresh air. You probably have water damage and probably mold under that window. I just did my bathroom and the widow (not even in the shower) had that problem. Along with a leaking drain I replaced all the exterior wall studs, bottom plate, and some plywood sub-floor. Install a sky light like I did.

Ron
Thanks Ron, for slab advice. I just installed the window. The old wood one was rotten. I flashed around it and used waterproofing. The opening was to brick. I used pvc trim.

Plumber here- I have no idea what you are asking? “Connect it to the hole” “rework the copper supply lines”? I’m just not sure what you are asking- move the plumbing or abandon the plumbing?

As far as making the concrete hole bigger- that’s not an issue. Try to keep any rebar you hit or replace it. Also keep any vapor barrier intact or repaired.
I want to cut out the concrete where the blue tape is. Want to know if that will cause structural problem.

Drain and vent will be capped and abandoned. Copper cannot be abandoned(except shower valve) but has to go below floor level. So "re work copper" or move it. Remove the shower supply that currently sticks up, move the rest of the copper to below floor level, probably by using 90* fittings.

"Connect hole" in concrete for drain to hole I will cut to move copper. Make 1 big hole instead of 2 smaller ones.

/ Bathroom Re-model concrete foundation #6  
Thanks Ron, I just installed the window. The old wood one was rotten. I flashed around it and used waterproofing. The opening was to brick. I used pvc trim.
Yeah tj, the window looked new. What kind of vent/fan do you have? Seems you need one if you don't already.

Did the window in new shower this way.
Screenshot_20181121-001710_Samsung Internet.jpeg

Yeah tj, the window looked new. What kind of vent/fan do you have? Seems you need one if you don't already.
There's a fart fan near the toilet. Been thinking about putting one closer to shower. Dont want mold.

Picture of tub that was removed and stain glass that had rotten frame. Also picture of outside of new window, before caulking.20161215_085812.jpeg20190113_162718.jpeg