Battery box ideas

/ Battery box ideas #1  

handirifle

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1010
OK, so I am adding an inverter to my 5th wheel. Currently it has 2 batteries, that are on either side of the coach. I plan on eventually going with 4 batteries, and want the mounted in the canter, width wise, of the coach, side by side.

There is a generator prep area in the front storage with a steel floor, that will handle 300-400lbs. It's designed for an Onan 5.5KW generator. My 4 batteries will weigh between 200 and 240lbs, so I am not concerned with the weight. I would like to build a battery box to house all 4 side by side, and recessed into the floor area, so I can build a platform above them for storage. There will be a sealed/vented cover over the batteries, with the venting going outside.

I have looked at ready made versions but don't like them. Most have the tops about 6-8" above the floor and that's too high for my wants. I am thinking of making one from sheet steel, and possibly 14ga. The bottom half will have a 2" lip that will be screwed into the steel floor of the storage area. Below the floor of this area is outside, so any spill will go to the ground.

I wouldn't mind building it from something like ABS but don't want something that will end up brittle.

Thoughts, suggestions? As for timeline, I have the inverter, wiring, connectors, fuses, and am waiting on the cutoff switch, and will have the batteries in a few days. Two of them at least, the other two later on.

/ Battery box ideas #2  
What kind of batteries? I have friends that put thousands of battery boxes in commercial vehicles every year. They have their own design/dies for plastic boxes. Any type of metal be it galvanized, stainless or alluminum just doesn't like acid. Not to mention the short circuit concerns.

/ Battery box ideas
The batteries are US2200, 6v deep cycle. Yes I know about the acid and steel, and possibly thinking of lining it with something like HPDE in thin sheets to avoid direct contact, but I would use the steel for strength.

Last edited:
   / Battery box ideas
OK I think I know what I can do. I did a little experiment by heating empty an water bottle (HDPE) to melting point, on top of a piece of galvanized steel I had cleaned with acetone. It's sticky and gooey, but melts easily and spreads around FAIRLY easy. It also stuck to the steel like an epoxy would. I tried to pry it off with a razor knife and it would not budge.

So my plan is to make the box, clean it and coated with melted HPDE to form an acid proof coating I can set the batteries on.

Anyone see something I might have overlooked? I get the bottle free as we drink the water. Already have a 30 gal trash bag full of squished ones. I figure I can lay the box on top of a BBQ and toss the bottles on as needed. Just have to work fast so they do not ignite :thumbsup:.

/ Battery box ideas #5  
That sounds interesting hr. I hope to hear a progress report on the process and durability. I might try something like that with the battery on my generator.

/ Battery box ideas
Well I ended up finding a pair of individual 6v plastic boxes for $12 each, shipped. I couldn't pass it up. I will not use the tops and make my own. The tops in the trailer are sealed with a 2" vent hose going to outside air. The ones that came with the boxes are not sealed. More like what you would find in a boat for a trolling motor.

My top will be sealed with said vent hose connected. I can do one pair now and add the second pair later this year. Will just need to make a new top to cover all 4 or just a second one. Depends how I lay them out. The closer the better to reduce voltage drop.

I hope to start on ot today, but might be more like tomorrow.

/ Battery box ideas
That sounds interesting hr. I hope to hear a progress report on the process and durability. I might try something like that with the battery on my generator.

Just an update. I did set the batteries in plastic battery boxes, with modifications, but the 4 battery cover is made of wood. However I lined it with coroplast (sp?). I got it at Home Depot and it comes in sheets of various sizes from about 1'x3' to about 4'x6' and is reasonably priced. This stuff is easily formed to shape and very durable. This is the same material they use on the underbelly of my brand (Open Range) of RV and many others as well.

bigtiller,
I think it would line a metal box very well. I found this AFTER I set mine up of course.

Here's my battery setup. There is room for 4 batteries and I only have 2 in there currently. The other 2 come soon. I covered the opening on the left with coroplast until I get the batteries in there.

Day5.2.jpg

And the battery box cover with the coroplast in place.

Day6.1.jpg

And the cover painted and installed.

Day7.1.jpg

And the inverter inside the basement area of the rig.

Day5.3.jpg