Battery welding

/ Battery welding
Pic #3

I made about a dozen 1/2" welds using 1/8" rod. All welds were very nice in appearance with PLENTY of penetration. The cheap jumper cables got kinda hot, but I'd say even with that there would be a pretty long welding session providing the cables were let to cool between welds. I feel very comfortable using this setup.

Attachments

• 663848-Battery welding 03.jpg
    663848-Battery welding 03.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 415
   / Battery welding
Pic #4

The finished product.

I want to thank all for the help as I never would have thought of using car batteries had I not read about it in this forum. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
In a pinch, and especially where there is no power it sure can do a fine job.

Also, I tried using only two 12v batteries instead of three and found the results surprisingly good. When I got back to the shop I hooked 2 batteries together using heavier cables and was able to get almost as good a weld. Striking and keeping an arc was a little tricky, but not too bad and certainly works. The trick is using good heavy cables that are short and make good contact with the terminals.

Attachments

• 663856-Battery welding 04.jpg
    663856-Battery welding 04.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 435
   / Battery welding #14  
I suppose it's a little late for this comment, but in the future be aware that when drawing hundreds of amps from a car battery they give off large amounts of hydrogen, so I probably would avoid battery welding indoors.

That's a beautiful area, I would love to retire on 1000 Acres there.

/ Battery welding #15  
I was just thinking the same thing about the post card....
Actually got Tami outta her chair to see it!
I told her there wasn't a tractor in sight...geez...

/ Battery welding #16  
Nice job Synchro!! As the others have stated, you have a beautiful view with the mountains in the background.

/ Battery welding #17  
Maybe a little late,but thats where I am most of the time.Snap-on sells a small hand held wire welder that uses two bat.,works very well.