Battery welding

/ Battery welding #1  

Syncro

Platinum Member
Tractor
MF 1532, Kubota B-26 TLB
I know this has been talked about before, but I have a simple question that I need a quick answer to. I have a short welding job (just a few 1-2" tacks) on the ranch where there is no power, can I hook two 12v car batteries in series and make it work? My thought was to attach my AC welders cables to the battery posts, use 1/8" rod and make a few quick welds with 24V DC. Has anybody actually done this? Don't want to blow up a lead acid battery.

/ Battery welding
Why didn't I think of that. Yup, there were a lot of good sources and pictures found on a Google search. I guess its a proven thing to do, but I gather that three 12v batteries are necessary and that the + is used as the ground. Makes sense as elect flows from - to +.

Anyways, thanks, sometimes the obvious is not so obvious /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Battery welding #4  
I would guess it is similar to using a standard arc welder. DC+ gives deeper penetration, DC- gives less penetration but faster rod deposit. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Here is some good <font color="blue"> welding info </font> if you have never seen it.

/ Battery welding #5  
I have done it a bunch of times. 36 volts work better, the rod will stick less.

/ Battery welding #6  
I've seen McGyver do it several times, instead of a wlding rod I think he uses a quarter.

/ Battery welding #7  
Works VERY well!
I believe as stated, that minimum of 36v is needed. it works much better.
Do series connect, above all MAKE SURE connections use short jumpers (1 foot)and very clean and tight connections.....if the connections arc could blow ya up or destroy post terminals.
also keep the leads longer so as to keep hot sparks away from hydrogen gas comming of battery.
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Battery welding #8  
Yes, 3 batteries is prefered for stick welding but if it is thin metal(less than 1/4") you can get away with 2 by using a smaller rod(1/16-3/32). There was a company a few years back that marketed a portable MIG welder. It was able to get away with 2 batteries in series welding up to 3/16" in single pass(thicker than that required multiple pass). You used a small cordless drill attached to the spool gun to feed the flux cored wire from a 2LB wire spool via a basic gearbox. It also had a provision for using shielding gas to allow ALuminum to be welded. Saw it at a fishing industry tradeshow, I think it was called a "Migmate"

/ Battery welding
Pic #1

OK, I put three 12v batteries in series and it worked extremely well! I was amazed on how good a weld was made by the pure smooth DC current. This is a pic of the setup just prior to welding on some street numbers.

Attachments

• 663828-Battery welding 01.jpg
    663828-Battery welding 01.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,152
   / Battery welding
Pic #2

The only problem I had was using cheapo jumper cables that didn't always make good contact. If I was to do this on a regular basis I'd get some short heavy cables with battery terminal ends and use a proper stinger. A few times I had the arc weld the rod to the flimsy jumper cable clamp I was using.

Attachments

• 663840-Battery welding 02.jpg
    663840-Battery welding 02.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 936