Best UTV?

/ Best UTV? #51  
I'm not sure what the OP means when he says guests. If they are just friends then maybe they would be fine with getting into the back seat of a Suzuki or a Jeep. Or maybe not.
Agree 100%. That's actually why the folks I bought from were selling the Amigo, they were tired of reaching into the back seat to retrieve their gear (professional photographers). They were going to buy a 4-door.

I've stuffed friends in the back of the Amigo... but it ain't easy. In or out.

/ Best UTV? #52  
I'm with crazyAl. UTV's might be pricey but they do there job. Buying an old 4wd vehicle to do the same job is buying future repairs, which might start immediately. The original poster did not ask about purchasing an ancient jeep or samurai.

I'm not sure what the OP means when he says guests. If they are just friends then maybe they would be fine with getting into the back seat of a Suzuki or a Jeep. Or maybe not. I've owned them all and each has their place. Around here forget trying to find one, the demand is too high to find a nice used one. I also don't think I would want a unibody vehicle. They only last so long driving over uneven rocky ground. I had a Sidekick given to me and after a couple years of playing where the Samurai would take the abuse the Sidekick started falling apart. Even if you do go with a Samurai you will still need to modify it. You'll most likely want to put more aggressive tires, locking differentials, and probably a roll cage. Depending on what tires you put on it you could be adding new springs. But if you'll be climbing hills with it raising the center of gravity isn't the best idea.

/ Best UTV? #53  
The original poster did not ask about purchasing an ancient jeep or samurai.

Perfectly correct, but... The OP doesn't know what he wants or he wouldn't be asking. We're just trying to be helpful.

I'm with crazyAl. UTV's might be pricey but they do there job. Buying an old 4wd vehicle to do the same job is buying future repairs, which might start immediately.

While a used car might need work, a UTV is going to as well. And it is generally harder to find qualified repair people. Buying a brand new UTV has the sole advantage of being a new vehicle, but check the threads. Even brand new Kubota UTV's can have problems (not Kubota bashing, just an example I read here on TBN).

/ Best UTV? #54  
We purchase new and use the dealer for service. Would not ever consider a Kub UTV for our special work needs. But thats just us.

Perfectly correct, but... The OP doesn't know what he wants or he wouldn't be asking. We're just trying to be helpful.

While a used car might need work, a UTV is going to as well. And it is generally harder to find qualified repair people. Buying a brand new UTV has the sole advantage of being a new vehicle, but check the threads. Even brand new Kubota UTV's can have problems (not Kubota bashing, just an example I read here on TBN).

/ Best UTV? #55  
We purchase new and use the dealer for service. Would not ever consider a Kub UTV for our special work needs. But thats just us.

What do you use and what special work do you perform?

/ Best UTV? #56  
I enjoyed a trouble free dozen or so years on my Mule Diesel. Low hours, pampered. Then the Crank Broke. I had to fight to get Kawi to give me a new crank, but between that and clutch issues, it still cost thousands.

/ Best UTV? #57  
What do you use and what special work do you perform?

I too am curious. We run two RTVs and are about as hard on them as I could imagine anyone being and they work great. Note these are the newer RTV-X's. The older (pre 2014 or so) RTVs with the radiator under the seat were horrible. We had nothing but trouble with them.

/ Best UTV? #58  
Transmission and altitude should be important considerations.

HST in utility vehicles has the same advantages has HST in tractors. Kubota diesel RTVs use the same engines and HST transmissions as Kubota tractors. HST develops max torque as the vehicle begins to move. For a work vehicle, Kubota is a top choice. If you want to go FAST, HST is not your best choice.

Keep in mind that at 7,000 feet normally aspirated engines, diesel or gas, will be down about 20% in engine power output, so you should probably consider only 24.8 horsepower models.

I agree^^^ Some old car may run ok at lower elevations but not at 7000'. Turbos made a world of difference for diesels running through the mountains. With a CVT you can change weights and springs for high altitude to change the shift points. I have the optional hand throttle on my RTV that I rarely use but would help climbing steep grades.

/ Best UTV? #59  
I would seriously consider the Honda Pioneer 1000 or a Kubota. The Kubota will be a lot slower than the Pioneer.

/ Best UTV? #60  
I won't comment on "best", since I have only owned two, but I will say my diesel Mule is an absolute beast. Hauls a lot, nothing stops it, and snow plowing is a breeze.

Super happy with it. I went diesel, since I have a tractor and excavator, so wanted to stay with one fuel type.

Machine drives slowly, but works great. Only downside is no engine braking, but that is a minor thing for me.