Birch or cherry bark containers

/ Birch or cherry bark containers #1  

forgeblast

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deer 318
I wanted to make something like this, Elmbark quiver in Pottery, Basketry & Fiber-arts Forum
or
N舸er | RAMON PERSSON
But I could not find a way to do it so....I started out by using the template from this website Sl?den i skogen -. I then tried developing a few patterns based on this design. I found a way that will give me a consistent pattern when using the bark.
barkbasketlp001.jpg

I use a ruler, t-square, and template (tracer) to get my shapes a consistent size.
barkbasketlp002.jpg

Step 1 (I am using 18x24 paper because I have it on hand).
Measure in 1驪ウ on each side and draw a line down, then measure in another 1驪ウ and made another line. This is where your pattern will be developed.
barkbasketlp003.jpg

Step 2
On the left side (evens) draw a line at 2, 4, 6, 8, & 10 inches while on the
right side (odd) draw a line at 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, &11 inches.
(As long as one side is even and the other odd your pattern will work)
barkbasketlp004.jpg

Step 3
Center a 7/8驪ウ triangle on each of the lines that you have drawn. On the side that is even (my case the left) draw a ?ス of a triangle on the top and bottom. ( I use 7/8 because it does not leave me a gap, and I do not then need to put another sheet of bark inside.)
barkbasketlp005.jpg

barkbasketlp006.jpg

Step 4
On the left side put a line at 1,3,5,7,9, &11 inches and on the right side put a line at 2, ,4, 6, 8, &10.
barkbasketlp007.jpg

barkbasketlp008.jpg

These lines are the center point of your design.
Step 5
Develop your design. Your design must start at the lines in step four and go to the center of the 7/8 triangle. Once you have a design cut out the shaded areas.
barkbasketlp009.jpg

barkbasketlp010.jpg

barkbasketlp011.jpg

These are all based on the same measurements. I found that using circles or squares in place of the 7/8 triangle gave me gaps.
barkbasketlp013.jpg

barkbasketlp012.jpg

Here is one of my containers with a lid.
barkbasketlp2002.jpg

barkbasketlp2001.jpg

Before the snow came I was able to peal a lot of bark from some of my downed cherry trees, they are fire sometimes called pin cherry not black cherry. They have a huge almost 3/4 growth ring they grow fast and fall over opening up the canopy. I am soaking some of the bark now to get the wood off the inside and then I hope to try a quiver, should be similar to the container. Once I get it done I am going to poly it, the one with the lid is just mineral oil. The color that comes out is almost copper!