Block Heater Question/Confusion

/ Block Heater Question/Confusion #1  

jk96

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L6060
New tractor with factory installed block heater and hydraulic fluid heater. There is a plug for both. Temps are at 11 degrees this morning so I decided it was probably time to find the plug locations and get it warmed up for weekend work. In reading the instructions I ran across this

"NOTICE: Plug the heat maintainer in when the oil is still warm from operation of the tractor. Do not use heat maintainer to heat cold oil; it will scorch the oil. Use heat maintainer after the tractor has been operated to "maintain" the oil temperature for easier starting in cold weather"

I was surprised to see this. I always thought it was ok to plug a block heater in at anytime regardless of cold weather. So looks like I need to leave it plugged in all winter long just in case its really cold outside the next time I need to use the tractor. Seems odd to me. And how would it scorch the oil when starting with cold oil vs already warm oil?

/ Block Heater Question/Confusion #2  
Block heater should be fine - its the hydraulic one they seemed concerned about. If block heater is working I see no need for the hydraulic one. For my tractor it warms up quick if the block is warm, even with the oil cooler being separate from the radiater.

/ Block Heater Question/Confusion
Block heater should be fine - its the hydraulic one they seemed concerned about. If block heater is working I see no need for the hydraulic one. For my tractor it warms up quick if the block is warm, even with the oil cooler being separate from the radiater.

Got it. Thanks. That makes more sense. The manually doesn't differentiate one from the other.

Finally found the plug in the side of the block for the cord to attach to. It was behind this hose which will not flex enough to get the plug in. Going to have to warm things up to see if I can get any more flex out of this hose to get it attached. I think engineers that design these things should be forced to work on them.

20161209_141320 (1).jpg

/ Block Heater Question/Confusion #5  
Finally found the plug in the side of the block for the cord to attach to. It was behind this hose which will not flex enough to get the plug in. Going to have to warm things up to see if I can get any more flex out of this hose to get it attached. I think engineers that design these things should be forced to work on them.

View attachment 490986
Why don't you cut the zip tie off, pull the hose out of the way, plug in the BH cord and then put a new zip tie in the same place. Lowes, home depot, any automotive store sells zip ties.

Why don't you cut the zip tie off, pull the hose out of the way, plug in the BH cord and then put a new zip tie in the same place. Lowes, home depot, any automotive store sells zip ties.

Thanks for the information on where to purchase zip ties. Now could you please explain what exactly your are referring to when you mention the zip tie? I want to make sure I cut the correct part of the hose. Are they expensive? Easy to replace?

In all seriousness it is not the hose with the zip tie. Its the hose that runs horizontal directly under the plug in the engine block. It was originally covering the connector. Part of the engine block prevents it from being pushed up. Its too tight (no extra play to pull out away from the plug). I was able to push it down just enough to expose the plug but the direction of the connector housing prevents it from being plugged in as the orange housing has a 90 degree turn straight down into the hose location. Going to have to have to remove the hose and replace with a longer one.

/ Block Heater Question/Confusion #7  
Best thing for hydraulic oil in cold temps is switching to synthetic IMO. At least for me it stopped all pump whining even at sub 0 temps.

/ Block Heater Question/Confusion #8  
Thanks for the information on where to purchase zip ties. Now could you please explain what exactly your are referring to when you mention the zip tie? I want to make sure I cut the correct part of the hose. Are they expensive? Easy to replace?

In all seriousness it is not the hose with the zip tie. Its the hose that runs horizontal directly under the plug in the engine block. It was originally covering the connector. Part of the engine block prevents it from being pushed up. Its too tight (no extra play to pull out away from the plug). I was able to push it down just enough to expose the plug but the direction of the connector housing prevents it from being plugged in as the orange housing has a 90 degree turn straight down into the hose location. Going to have to have to remove the hose and replace with a longer one.

The "zip tie" is right be low your thumb in the picture on the hose below your hand. If you follow the hose to the left in your picture there another "zip tie" tying the hose to what looks like a steel line. I am not sure if this hose is the problem. I can't tell what hose you might mean behind/below it.

I call "zip ties" cable ties. Look for them in the electrical department. They are not expensive $3-$5 for 100.

The "zip tie" is right be low your thumb in the picture on the hose below your hand. If you follow the hose to the left in your picture there another "zip tie" tying the hose to what looks like a steel line. I am not sure if this hose is the problem. I can't tell what hose you might mean behind/below it.

I call "zip ties" cable ties. Look for them in the electrical department. They are not expensive $3-$5 for 100.

Thanks Zebra. I was aware of the item called a "cable tie" but had never heard of this so called zip tie. Your clarification brought everything home for me. I now feel more confident in myself and may not be as ignorant as first thought. I was started to feel the need for a safe space. :)

Problem hose is indicated by the arrow in the updated pic. It's a hydraulic line that is run so tight there is no play in it at all. Going to take a lot of work in order to get to this hose and replace with a longer one just to be able to plug into the block. I've tried pulling the line forward in order to slide the plug in behind the line but there is just no play to it at all.

Publication1.jpg

Best thing for hydraulic oil in cold temps is switching to synthetic IMO. At least for me it stopped all pump whining even at sub 0 temps.

New tractor is a CVT trans so hydro whine is not an issue. If I still had my hydro I would be tempted to pay the extra $ to try synthetic. I've seen a few posts from others that showed there hydro was fairly quiet. Mine was one that was not. It was pretty significant.