Blower vs. Plow

/ Blower vs. Plow #1  

Glowplug

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040HD
I was wanting to get some opinions on which would be better for clearing snow. I know there have been a million threads on snow clearance this time of year but I figured, what the hey, let me start another!

My specific question is which would be the preferred method of snow clearance. . .a blower or plow? I have a 300' asphalt driveway to clear and probably often about 3/4 mile of private one-lane asphalt road. Of course I do live in Kentucky and we do NOT get a ton of snow. However, a few years back we got a 20+ incher that didn't melt off for quite a while. If I lived in the location I do now with a big snow like that I would be completely incapacitated. We usually get a handful of 3-7 inches yearly. With my profession, it is absolutely necessary I am able to get out.

I had always thought about getting a front-end mounted snow plow such as Curtis or Meyer. I always just assumed that would be the best way of snow removal for these long stretches since that's how the pros do it. However, recently I have been considering a 3ph mount PTO-driven snowblower. Previously I just felt that driving backwards and looking over your shoulder would be annoying. But the more I think about it the more I feel that this method of snow removal may actually be a blast. I have been looking at the Woods snowblowers. Particularly, the SS84.

This will most likely be used on a Kubota M8540 (75hp PTO) if I ever get it.:(

I would LOVE to get both but that's not really the answer I am looking for. I also don't necessarily just want to get the cheaper one but the one that would be better (more fun)!

Merry Christmas to all out there in TBN-Land!!!:D

/ Blower vs. Plow #2  
If you can swing it, the blower would be hands down better. A blade is what I use but have a blower for an old Wheelhorse and it really moves the snow to an area that is out of the way. Of course it blows gravel very well too, but on blacktop, it will cleans down to a smooth surface.

/ Blower vs. Plow
billbill1 said:
If you can swing it, the blower would be hands down better. A blade is what I use but have a blower for an old Wheelhorse and it really moves the snow to an area that is out of the way. Of course it blows gravel very well too, but on blacktop, it will cleans down to a smooth surface.

I'm kinda thinkin' a blower may be better even though you have to drive backwards. It would basically act like a plow but also suck up the snow a sling it out!! Anybody have any idea approx what one of these blowers goes for? The Curtis plow I was looking at is $2,500. I have no clue what the 8' Woods (SS96) snow blower would go for. I mean, if it's like 12 grand it would probably be out of the question. But even if it's more expensive than the plow, if it moves snow that much better, it may be worth it.

Happy Boxing day for the day after tomorrow for all of you from the great white north, eh.

/ Blower vs. Plow #4  
You have the perfect opertunity to convince your wife that you absolutely positively "NEED" a snowmobile.

/ Blower vs. Plow #5  
Well, with the MUCH less expensive rear blade, you can move dirt, rocks, etc. if ever the need arises. Snow blower does a much better job on snow but pretty much worthless for anything else. I would say a blower would make sense for someone near Buffalo, where they get dumped on from lake effect snow all the time. For the rest of us, blading snow a few times a year doesn't justify having a specialized tool for it. But if you can afford it, what the heck.

/ Blower vs. Plow #6  
I have both. If it was me, and with the relatively limited snow you have, I would go with the snow plow. Plow would be cheaper and faster at removing snow. IMHO, with a tractor that big and your limited snow, the plow would be the way to go. There isn't too much a tractor of that size won't push through. I bought the blower 2 years ago after a bad snow storm which left 4' drifts around my storage shed and driveway. Took about 3 hours with loader and rear blade to push it out of the way using Kubota 3710. Bought 66" blower during the following summer and haven't used it yet. If I had that size of tractor it would be snow blade only. In Nebraska, most people with tractors use rear blade and loader. Few have front snow plow and very few use snow blowers any more. On farm sales, the large snow blowers don't bring much.
Blowers rule where snow is deep and size of equipment is more limited. Blowers can also blow/move the snow a good distance away from the road. Blower would do the job but I think probably overkill. You have nearly a mile of road to clear and the blower would be slower and driving backward not much fun. Your bigger problem with large snows is once your road is open, how will the public roads be? Snow removal in your region is somewhat limited and slow.

/ Blower vs. Plow
Tig said:
So as I understand it the criteria for the "preferred method" is
1 not necessarily cheaper
2 more fun
3 method of snow removal that may actually be a blast

Well then this is what you want.

http://www.techepics.com/files/street_legal_vw_powered_6.jpg

Merry Christmas and happy boxing day too. :)

Totally LOL!!!:D Now THAT may take some convincing with the wife! I'll have to look into it though! You could roast marshmallows and burn the brush pile all while getting rid of snow!

I'm leaning toward the plow now once again.

/ Blower vs. Plow #9  
The double augur two stage snow blower that is 7 feet wide will move anything. Especially on asphalt. It will throw it 20+ feet.
Bob

/ Blower vs. Plow
Doc_Bob said:
The double augur two stage snow blower that is 7 feet wide will move anything. Especially on asphalt. It will throw it 20+ feet.
Bob

Thanks Bob. I see you found the thread.;) I'll bet that double-auger blower would sling dry power a hundred feet.

You have the perfect opertunity to convince your wife that you absolutely positively "NEED" a snowmobile.

They don't even have snowmobiles in Kentucky. But I could see myself going to work at the hospital on a snowmobile!!!