Boots, what are you wearing, what do you recommend?

/ Boots, what are you wearing, what do you recommend? #31  
Redwings or Danner. all USA made and only boots worth buying IMO

/ Boots, what are you wearing, what do you recommend? #32  
I have a pair of red wings made in China.
I think the days of red wings all made in USA are over, just like everything else that was once made in USA.
We are as dependent on foreign countries for everything as a 2 year old child is dependent on its parents.

/ Boots, what are you wearing, what do you recommend? #33  
I have a pair of Carhart work boots which I use for general outside use, running the tractor etc. They have a composite toe. When I'm running a chainsaw or working on steep slopes, I use a pair of Redwing steel toe logger boots. I would highly recommend steel toe boots (or chainsaw safety boots) for chainsawing. Good logger boots are not cheap but if you take care of them they will last a long time. The logger boots have deep lugged soles for traction and a small heel which makes walking down steep slopes easier. Much of my land is steep and the soil is thick duff with little traction so good boots are important.

Even for non chainsaw use I like boots with a protective toe cap. I've had splits fall off the splitter and land on my foot.

/ Boots, what are you wearing, what do you recommend? #34  
A pair of Dickies with a wedge sole.

/ Boots, what are you wearing, what do you recommend?
Buying US made seems to be about the only way to find quality footwear that can be recrafted from what I've seen (there may be similiar footwear available elsewhere, but they don't seem to be readily available in the US).

Which can be useful if (like me) a person has a tendency to wear out the soles in a year (or less)..... which was the single biggest reason I switched to Allen Edmonds for my dress shoes/boots.

Also, learned the value of having the sole stitched to the upper is worth the cost over it merely being glued to the upper. Learned that lesson when sole on a pair of dress shoes detached while on a business trip to Washington DC -- wasn't exactly fun given how much of DC tends to be a very pedestrian-oriented city.
You can get excellent boots from Germany and Italy that can be recrafted. Hanwag and Zamberlan come to mind.

/ Boots, what are you wearing, what do you recommend? #36  
You can get excellent boots from Germany and Italy that can be recrafted. Hanwag and Zamberlan come to mind.
Thanks - I'll have to check them out.

/ Boots, what are you wearing, what do you recommend? #37  
Not all Redwing footwear is made in the USA, I found that out when they transferred the manufacturing of my go to boot to Asia.

We had a independent store locally that sold nothing but Redwing boots and shoes and Stetson hats. They closed the door when Redwing tried to force them to carry more styles, mostly made offshore and they refused. Redwing took away their exclusive distributorship and added another local store that folded up less than a yr later.

That original store had been owned and operated by one family for over 75yrs.

The only reason I knew the full story behind the closing was the swap of manufacturing of my boots, but also my grandfather had bought a new pair of boots and a hat every year right before Christmas for nearly 30yrs and they told him that they were closing the doors at the end of the year. He promptly ordered 10 pairs of boots and 10 Stetson hats and I think he was their last sale before shutting the doors.

Reminds me of the Alan Jackson song "Little Man" because they were on the courthouse square in the original and only location.

/ Boots, what are you wearing, what do you recommend? #38  
I prefer a good Italian made hiking boot for the good ankle support and high arch. I went to NOLS after highschool for a 4 week backpack trip. It was mandatory to either get Scarpa's or LaSportiva boots and spend a couple of months breaking them in. I went with the Scarpa's and they were fantastic. I have also purchased some LaSportiva and danners since. The danners are now sitting in a closet needing a resole while the much older Scarpa and LaSportiva boots are still in great shape.

I don't like goretex in a boot. It gets too hot. I prefer an all leather boot with a leather lining. A person can keep it waterproof with good conditioners. It will last for decades.

Probably the best leather boot ever made. These are around 25 years old.

7a86b7a51187e24efb8c5254007e280f.jpg

Last edited:
   / Boots, what are you wearing, what do you recommend?
I prefer a good Italian made hiking boot for the good ankle support and high arch. I went to NOLS after highschool for a 4 week backpack trip. It was mandatory to either get Scarpa's or LaSportiva boots and spend a couple of months breaking them in. I went with the Scarpa's and they were fantastic. I have also purchased some LaSportiva and danners since. The danners are now sitting in a closet needing a resole while the much older Scarpa and LaSportiva boots are still in great shape.

I don't like goretex in a boot. It gets too hot. I prefer an all leather boot with a leather lining. A person can keep it waterproof with good conditioners. It will last for decades.

Probably the best leather boot ever made. These are around 25 years old.

7a86b7a51187e24efb8c5254007e280f.jpg
Scarpa was on my list. How heavy are they?
As for the Italian boot, I am seriously considering a pair of Zamberlan tofane. I like to hike a bit and it seems like a boot that would kill two birds with one stone so to speak. Expensive but as I said I try not to cheap out on my footwear and my Mattress :)

61nWzyqgAAL._AC_UY625_.jpg

/ Boots, what are you wearing, what do you recommend? #40  
Scarpa was on my list. How heavy are they?
As for the Italian boot, I am seriously considering a pair of Zamberlan tofane. I like to hike a bit and it seems like a boot that would kill two birds with one stone so to speak. Expensive but as I said I try not to cheap out on my footwear and my Mattress :)

View attachment 706616

They have a little weight to them, as the leather is thick. But that makes them durable. They are like the Toyota landcruiser of boots, you will be hard press to wear them out.

The Zamberlan boots are good. I have no experience with them, but I knew a hunting guide that wore them and he love them. I just don't like the goretex lining, they wear out. Get a boot with a leather lining, it will last much longer.