Brake line flaring tool?

/ Brake line flaring tool? #1  

blee03

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45D
Anyone have any good recommendations for a quality brake line flaring tool?

I need to double flare some 3/16 brake lines for my truck. I was in a pinch and tried using a $30 tool from O'Reilly auto parts but the tool was so poorly machined during the manufacturing process the piece that does the actual flaring would not pull down evenly. Tried a bunch of times and finally gave up.

Which flaring tool have you had good results with?
I only need to do 3/16 brake line but I wouldn't be opposed to having a flaring tool that can do many different types and sizes

/ Brake line flaring tool? #2  
Brake line flares are totally different than hydraulic tube flare. I have hydraulic tube flare made by Parker Hannifan that has worked very well for me. No clue on a source for a good brake flaring tool though.

/ Brake line flaring tool? #3  
rigid makes a nice one but I think I got a bad one. my yoke must be off because I couldn't get a straight flare with the rigid yoke. I have to use the yoke from a cheap flaring tool with the rigid biscuits to do the double flare. the biscuits that came with the cheap flaring tool don't work well.

/ Brake line flaring tool? #5  
Anyone have any good recommendations for a quality brake line flaring tool?

I need to double flare some 3/16 brake lines for my truck. I was in a pinch and tried using a $30 tool from O'Reilly auto parts but the tool was so poorly machined during the manufacturing process the piece that does the actual flaring would not pull down evenly. Tried a bunch of times and finally gave up.

Which flaring tool have you had good results with?
I only need to do 3/16 brake line but I wouldn't be opposed to having a flaring tool that can do many different types and sizes
Mastercool 72475
Lisle 33260
Titan 51535

I have all of them. The Mastercool is effortless and will always give you a perfect flare. Setting aside price, the issue is working "on the car"" in small spaces. In this instance the Titan would be my go to. The block has to be TIGHT when screwing in the die. Do that and you have a factory quality flare. Having just replaced 3/16 lines, I would only use the new nickle-copper type brakeline. The original PVF steel is a nightmare to work with.

/ Brake line flaring tool? #6  
Mastercool or Vevor universal kits on Amazon have a bunch of options.

/ Brake line flaring tool?
Mastercool 72475
Lisle 33260
Titan 51535

I have all of them. The Mastercool is effortless and will always give you a perfect flare. Setting aside price, the issue is working "on the car"" in small spaces. In this instance the Titan would be my go to. The block has to be TIGHT when screwing in the die. Do that and you have a factory quality flare. Having just replaced 3/16 lines, I would only use the new nickle-copper type brakeline. The original PVF steel is a nightmare to work with.

What makes the PVF steel a nightmare to work with?
Heading to the auto parts store soon and I was going get the PVF steel... but they do have Copper Nickle line as well.

/ Brake line flaring tool? #8  
Just use pre-flaired replacement lines, FLAPS (Friendly Local Auto Parts Store) generally have assortment of sizes and lengths.... Usually cheaper than getting fairing tool the does not work well....

/ Brake line flaring tool? #9  
rigid makes a nice one but I think I got a bad one. my yoke must be off because I couldn't get a straight flare with the rigid yoke. I have to use the yoke from a cheap flaring tool with the rigid biscuits to do the double flare. the biscuits that came with the cheap flaring tool don't work well.
Interesting. Ridge Tool guarantees their flaring too against defects. I suggest you contact them for a replacement yoke. One thing I do is when I clamp their yoke over the brakeline and get the height set correctly (I presume you know how to set the tubing height in the yoke correctly right?)

I'll take a pair of vice grips and clamp them on the open end of the yoke (the yoke is case hardened so toy won't damage it by clamping with the vice grips. Anyway, I clamp the open end firmly to keep the correct tubing protrusion while I affix the clamp and forcing cone to the tool (with the flare cup installed in the tubing and then I crank down the side screw ( which provides the necessary clamp force (tight as I can get it, then I run the forcing cone into the flare die until it bottoms, back it off, remove the flare die and run the forcing cone back into the flare until it bottoms and that makes the double flare.

The brakeline tubing must be cut exactly square with the face of the yoke to get a square flare. I use a thin kerf cut off wheel to cut my tubing and I ream the cut end with a small twist drill chucked in a hand bit.

Mine always come out peachy. I really like the Rigid tool compared to the cheap Chinese knockoff ones, that slip Once I get the flare made, I'll take a piece of fine steel wool and clean the inside of the flare to insure it's gonna seal correctly. I flare Ni-Cop as well as steel lines no issues.

For 'double bubble' flares I use an OTC professional flaring tool

/ Brake line flaring tool?
Just use pre-flaired replacement lines, FLAPS (Friendly Local Auto Parts Store) generally have assortment of sizes and lengths.... Usually cheaper than getting fairing tool the does not work well....

Yeah I might go that route if this ends up not working...

I bought a prefabbed line from O'Reilly's (BH2201317A) but the thread on one of the ends of the line is incorrect even though the O'Reilly's website says it fit's a 2012 Ram 2500 4x4. Went to put it on yesterday and only 1 fitting was correct, so I figured I'd cut it off, put the old fitting on the new line and re-flare it... which didn't work out due to the el cheapo flare tool (which is being returned today)

I wouldn't mind having extra line and a good working flare tool in the shop so next time anything like this happens I can fix it and not have to make a run to the store or wait for parts to come in