Branson 4020R Lost Power Under load Wont move fast at all?? Help!

/ Branson 4020R Lost Power Under load Wont move fast at all?? Help! #41  
No, but they might let water in the case if they are the pop in kind that sit on top of the rear end

/ Branson 4020R Lost Power Under load Wont move fast at all?? Help!
tractorErnie

Oh OK...
These are up underneath the top of the Left fender well.

I was hoping there would be an inspection plate or some way to see the clutch plate that I could spray some cleaner on the clutch plate. Wishful thinking probably. I got pretty sick a couple weeks ago and by the time I got feeling a little better bad weather has set in. Icy cold high winds today. I'm afraid my window to figure this out has probably closed. I hate not being able to figure these things out and do everything that I've always done.

Thanks and if you /anyone has an idea let me know

Ron

/ Branson 4020R Lost Power Under load Wont move fast at all?? Help! #43  
Ron, I just read all the posts again, are you sure your fuel pump is putting out enough fuel?
You said it idles good but when you need power, its just not there for you. My fuel Branson pumps purr like a kitten when the tractor is running.

tractorErnie

Well not 100% sure
But, I can set the RPMs to 2500 to 3000 +/- and use the backhoe with no problem.
When I try to move the tractor, I can set the RPM to 2500 - 3000 and just verily creep along with the RPM staying at set point.
I can override the RPM set point with the fuel pedal (increased RPMs) with no faster travel speed. I don't hear or feel any clutch slipping.
I found this article Tractor Runs But Has No Power (Gas & Diesel Engine Issues) (Hope its ok to post here) so I see what you say is spot on.
As I said before the tractor set without running for a couple years I did Put more diesel in it but cant remember if I did before using the backhoe or at some point while using it. The tractor moved normally during setup but started acting up when I went to backfill. I couldn't push the dirt into the hole at all (no power) I kept trying to push the dirt into the hole and kept giving it more throttle but it didn't do any good. Wife said she thought it smelled a little hot but I don't recall that I did.
At some point during the digging I sprung a leak in one of the Backhoes boom hose. How much fluid I lost I have no idea but the backhoe still works OK but backhoe is a tad bit jerky. I finished backfilling the hole with the backhoe. I put 2 gals in the hydraulics and think I might have overfilled a bit. I know I leaked some out but it still looks overfilled on the sight glass (hard to tell if overfilled or not enough) I see that as a problem with many operators reading the sight glass.
So, I need to get the tractor out of the field so If I can brave the cold and wind I'll try and disconnect the fuel line and see how much fuel its pumping. I see from what you said and the article its a common diesel problem. I'll report back later.
Thanks, I Appreciate your help!

Ron

/ Branson 4020R Lost Power Under load Wont move fast at all?? Help! #45  
You say no power, that would imply that you try and push into the pile and the tractor would then stall. If you dont notice "load" on the engine when pushing into the pile, only a lack of power going to the wheels and thus not pushing, that would suggest a clutch issue, especially since you say backhoe operation works fine. If your tractor sat for a length of time, your clutch plates may have stuck, and/or need adjustment. When storing these tractors, you're suppose to lock the clutch down at the pedal to prevent this from happening.

sikmusicfreak8
I went to dig a hole with backhoe.
Dug hole..
went to backfill by pushing dirt and noticed I couldn't push dirt in. No power at first
Tried giving more throttle to no avail. very slow if any travel
Then noticed I had a leak in my backhoe boom line. and low level of fluid in sight glass. put fluid in.. probably overfilled.
backfilled the hole with the backhoe
Backhoe operates ok just a little jerky. I might have overfilled.. the sight glass is hard to read for sure.
Little or no travel speed.. hard to get going even slow and only in the lowest speed ie low/low I'd call first gear. 2nd gear very hard to even get going and no movement from there up Just no Umppph.
checked fuel from lift pump to fuel bowl and pump is clicking good and a steady stream of fuel flow. filter is ok.
with 2500 rpm I barely move but don't hear any slippage at all.
The tractor did sit for maybe a couple years but was working fine until I got done digging the hole and discovered the backhoe leak.
Anyway to tell if clutch is stuck or how to unstick it? It had crossed my mind that it could be a linkage problem but I THINK the free play is close to one inch before I feel resistance in the clutch pedal. not sure how to adjust the clutch to see if that's the problem. Any suggestions on the clutch being the problem would help. If I did wear the clutch down trying to push dirt into the hole can it be adjusted or is it a "replacement scenario"
I did notice yesterday after trying a couple of things and putting fresh diesel in as I was low... I thought I had a little more power for a few seconds ie the wheels were moving a little faster. But that stopped after I reversed directions. Popped into my head maybe I was not getting all the way in gear but don't know if that's a possibility.
Thanks
Ron

/ Branson 4020R Lost Power Under load Wont move fast at all?? Help! #47  
Your clutch is not stuck, it is slipping and has absolutely nothing to do with your backhoe or any hydraulic leak or being overfilled. You do not, from your descriptions, have a power problem related to engine.

I know it is not what you want to hear, but put a clutch in that dude and you will be back in business. :thumbsup:

/ Branson 4020R Lost Power Under load Wont move fast at all?? Help! #48  
Try letting the clutch out with the engine idling or just off idle, then accellerate with the throttle. Like you'd drive a car. When the clutch is slipping the engine will rev up but the vehicle won't accellerate like normal. With a gas engine the engine revs up quicker in a distinctive way, not sure if a small diesel tractor will be the same.

/ Branson 4020R Lost Power Under load Wont move fast at all?? Help! #49  
Im having a hard time understanding what your definition of lack of power is. Is the engine bogging down/stalling when you trying and use it, or is it simply not moving, and when trying, you cannot notice a difference in "load" on the engine?

Being how you have a slow travel speed, and I am assuming your engine isnt struggling or stalling, your issue is with your clutch.

ericm979
sicmusicfreak8

When I accelerate with the throttle. Like you'd drive a car It hardly moves in low gear and pretty much not at all in higher gears. But, I don't notice any slipping sound like I have experienced with a car.

it simply is not moving or very slow (depending on gear) and when trying, I do not notice a difference in "load" on the engine (no load)

So, I see it as the clutch is not or is barely engaging.

That said is there any adjustment I can Tighten up the clutch?
Or, is there any mechanical linkage that I could adjust?
Or, is there any inspection plate I could spray brake cleaner or some other cleaning fluid that maybe would take care of something on the clutch plate?
I know its probably a last ditch effort but have read that sometimes the clutch will stick from none usage which I hadn't used the tractor in a couple years. Although I really didn't notice any problem until I dug the hole and then tried to backfill it by pushing dirt into the hole. The scenario just seems a little crazy and with the leak of fluid from the backhoe and all which probably didn't have anything to do with the clutch (If I'm not mistaken its a dry clutch) but that's when I noticed I didn't have much power. But more than I have now. It just seems a bit odd.
I appreciate the help but know I'm probably at the linkage or adjustment or having to replace the clutch place. Tractor is in a hard spot to get out of the field, so hoping for a field fix before BAD weather... LOL

thanks again,
Ron