Front-End Loader BUCKET SPADE TODAY // FEL BUCKET ATTACHMENT

/ BUCKET SPADE TODAY // FEL BUCKET ATTACHMENT #61  
I have had mine for about 10 years. I got a bigger tractor with more weight and power. I got into some rock and bowed the bottom of my bucket.:thumbdown:

Maybe an acceptable concept in very sandy (Florida) soil, but near certain bucket damage in heavier clay/rock soil.

/ BUCKET SPADE TODAY // FEL BUCKET ATTACHMENT
Maybe an acceptable concept in very sandy (Florida) soil, but near certain bucket damage in heavier clay/rock soil.

What is really an acceptable concept is tractor operator prudence.

/ BUCKET SPADE TODAY // FEL BUCKET ATTACHMENT #63  
What is really an acceptable concept is tractor operator prudence.

Yep. can't leave your brain back at the house... But then again some people can break an anvil. Some people are just clueless about anything mechanical.

/ BUCKET SPADE TODAY // FEL BUCKET ATTACHMENT #64  
I have had mine for about 10 years. I got a bigger tractor with more weight and power. I got into some rock and bowed the bottom of my bucket.:thumbdown:

Yeah, that's why I upgraded to a heavy duty bucket, hoping not to wreck my bucket with the bucket-spade. Unfortunately it doesn't fit the heavy bucket...

Wait, wait. The bucket spade does not fit your bucket with your aftermarket cutting edge attached. Don't causally impugn anyone's reputation with an incomplete, inaccurate post. Acknowledge your personal responsibility. You ordered the tractor options.

Impossible for manufacturers producing a standardized product to allow for aftermarket additions, like your bolt-on edge.

When you take the aftermarket bucket edge off I am confident the spade will fit securely.

And, Turkey, .....you are welcome for the pictures and the effort my 72-1/2 year old body made to mount/dismount the 110 pound spade solely for your pictures.

Last edited:
   / BUCKET SPADE TODAY // FEL BUCKET ATTACHMENT #66  
Wait, wait. The bucket spade does not fit your bucket with your aftermarket cutting edge attached. Don't causally impugn anyone's reputation with an incomplete, inaccurate post. Acknowledge your personal responsibility. You ordered the tractor options.

Impossible for manufacturers producing a standardized product to allow for aftermarket additions, like your bolt-on edge.

When you take the aftermarket bucket edge off I am confident the spade will fit securely.

And, Turkey, .....you are welcome for the pictures and the effort my 72-1/2 year old body made to mount/dismount the 110 pound spade solely for your pictures.

Jeff, I respect your experience in many matters, and of course when you said your L2296 worked with the bucket spade, I hoped mine would too. I'm a newbie. I may have missed fine print. Or did I? I do not agree with the presumptions of your post that it was incomplete or inaccurate.

I researched everything I could think of before I purchased in my new tractor toys. I bought it all from the Kubota dealer for an extra bit of making sure it would work together. The _only_ thing I did not buy from the Kubota dealer was the bucket spade, in fact when I mentioned it to them they said it was a bad idea, presumably w.r.t. the bucket integrity but I couldn't say.

Nothing in my purchase process flagged my bucket configuration as "aftermarket". There was no clue to me. The purchase order is L2296 72" HD Bucket w/ TL1748 bolt on edge. I just assumed ALL L2296 buckets were likely to have bolt on edges.

Then there's the bucket spade site. To be sure, I could have been more careful. If I'd carefully measured my bucket (which I didn't have yet), and if I'd clicked on and analyzed the "Product Dimension Picture" I _might_ have figured out that it wouldn't fit, or I might not. There's no dimension for the lip edge. There's no caution about the lip edge at all, in fact, and its need to fit, on the web site. At least not easily visible from the main page for the product Tractor and Skidsteer bucket spade shovel. There is a small gif showing the thing sliding onto a bucket, with something resembling an edge. That's it.

As far as I'm concerned what's on the web site was somewhat incomplete. What I had was a reasonable expectation it would clamp to my bucket. There was you saying it fit your same model bucket. And not one scent of "oh, bolt on edges mean it won't fit", anywhere.

As for impugning the vendor's reputation, I specifically said that it wasn't my intent to malign the product, that it seems well built, but that there was some impedance mismatch in ordering it.

And, at this point, I have reached out to the vendor, whose replies were not what I wanted to hear, along the lines of wedging in steel plates.

So at this point my take is this.
1. Yes, I accept some of the blame, perhaps there was more I could have done to vet the bucket against the bucket spade product.
2. However: the bucket spade site does NOT adequately disclose the dimensions and critical contact points that must be met to use the product, or indicate in any _obvious_ place associated with the product any clues as to how it might not fit with some buckets.
3. I still believe it's a fine product, just not for my bucket.
4. I'm not entirely happy with the vendor's disclosure of these things, or handling of my inquiry.

I do not accept Jeff's statements that I should have understood a common bolt on edge configuration would make the bucket spade incompatible with my bucket. There was insufficient information to make that clear. Even if I them and asked if it fit an L2296 bucket, the presence of a bolt on edge might not
even have entered the conversation because to me it was pretty much a standard thing, so perhaps a phone call wouldn't have done much. Or perhaps they would have asked. That ship has sailed.

If I didn't have pallet forks I might be out $400 on a product I can't use, it isn't clear if the vendor would accept any return or responsibility. Fortunately I do have pallet forks, and the product works with those. But if you're a considering purchasing this product for a bucket and don't have pallet forks, BUYER BEWARE - it may not fit your bucket.

I will make peace with the fact that I must use this with my pallet forks and not my bucket. I'm done arguing about it, that wasn't my intent in the first place.

/ BUCKET SPADE TODAY // FEL BUCKET ATTACHMENT #67  
So I ran the combo bucket spade on my pallet forks a couple of weeks ago. Not having used it before, I was pleased when the forks slid right in without problems. In fact, they slide waaaaay in. I was surprised how far they went. The forks are tapered, and I think the interior of the slots of the bucket spade for forks is also tapered. Anyway, seemed to fit like a glove and my digging a 2+ foot deep hole was no problem.

I finally removed the bucket spade a couple of days ago, and that was something of an adventure. The bucket spade was so tight on the fork tips I couldn't remove it. Was starting to think I'd need another tractor to pull it off :)

I used a pry bar to move the forks in the wiggle room at the end close to the tractor, but that didn't seem to do much for the tips stuck in the slot. Angling the bucket spade down (so forks up high in the air) so gravity would work for me, I finally got it loose with a sledgehammer. I couldn't really find a good place to whack it though, I could only get it with one inch or so (maybe less) of the hammer surface, sliding it down along the forks, hitting the "lip" on the bucket spade. I gave it a whack or two on the mounting arms for bucket clamps, but that is off center and I also wasn't sure about which pieces might stand up to the hammer better.

Not sure what to do to prevent that again, I will start with an email to the people who make it I guess and share if I learn anything useful. A little water and rust inside that combo might make the mating permanent. Maybe just dropping a small piece of wood or something in there would help, we'll see.

the implement pictured below would last about 10 min on an M series. maybe ok for sub/CUT but worthless imho for any serious tree planting. there are other options.
I purchased the Bucket Solution's (brand) Bucket Spade ten years ago for use on my first Kubota, a B3300SU. Sold the too light B3300SU two years later and purchased my L3560. I have used the Bucket Spade for planting trees and excavating Palmettos, other palms and grossly overgrown twenty-year old Blueberry bushes for eight years on the L3560 bucket. Certainly at least 1,200 in number. The Bucket Spade appears as new. The bucket has minor paint scuffs where the spade pads compress.

PHOTOS #10 - #11 - #12 were taken during March 2020.

My L3560 is 3,700 pounds bare tractor weight. The Ms are 5,000 pounds bare tractor weight. In my opinion the optimal bare tractor weight for utilizing a Bucket Spade is 3,700 to 5,000 pounds bare tractor weight, a range which includes Kubota Grand Ls, MX series and M series. Hydraulic power is of secondary importance in operating a Bucket Spade. Tractor weight is the most important factor as the spade is driven into ground with tractor wheel power. After first insertion the ground is loose.

The spade is 18" wide, billet forged, not stamped; weighs 130 pounds. A little ponderous for my 73 year old body to attach.

Minimal storage space required when spade is off the FEL bucket.

Being able to excavate in front of the tractor and move the tractor normally between digs is effecient.

Bucket Spade opinions posted on T-B-N from those that own them and use them are favorable. I seem to be the most frequent Bucket Spade user posting here.

hey Jeff, should have put it differently. i have twisted a double moldboard plow with my tractor (probably operator's fault). afraid would be the same with a clamp on shovel..... i'm glad to see the shovel works great for you.
keep the informative posts going, they are very detailed & best regards

Last edited:
   / BUCKET SPADE TODAY // FEL BUCKET ATTACHMENT #69  
I don't own an actual bucket spade . but my home made "bucket spade" sure has come in handy thru the years. I featured the construction on here a few years ago. I have dug ditches for myself and others in our rocky "soil", and it has done very well. We have more rocks than soil. Mine is thinner and lighter than the bucket spade, but it has held up well. I have very little invested in it as it was just a welding project and I had a lot of the steel on hand already.

/ BUCKET SPADE TODAY // FEL BUCKET ATTACHMENT #70  
Use or quick spade often. Prefer attachment to pallet fork over bucket. Best tool for blueberries agree. Great for slicing small trees off under fencing.