Building Lake Corona

/ Building Lake Corona #51  
Looks like slate doesn't it.

that's cool! We have nothing but glacial till here. As much round rock as dirt and up to the size of volleyballs... rarely bigger.

/ Building Lake Corona
Looks like slate doesn't it.

It's solid but delaminates into thin sheets when running the bucket teeth across it.

/ Building Lake Corona #53  
It's solid but delaminates into thin sheets when running the bucket teeth across it.
Some kind of slate... depending on the quality you might get some nice paver slabs! That's what I would be attempting. Is it hard and will break off in decent thicknesses?

/ Building Lake Corona
Some kind of slate... depending on the quality you might get some nice paver slabs! That's what I would be attempting. Is it hard and will break off in decent thicknesses?

Would need a good size excavator. I uncovered a section 7 ft wide by about 12 foot deep. Couldn't get through it. After about 12 buckets of scale I gave up.

/ Building Lake Corona #55  
I have a 2ft layer of that between two limestone layers.

/ Building Lake Corona #56  
I'm watching. Sorry about your business being down. A few young people at work are hoping to get married this summer...

Thanks for posting pics.

/ Building Lake Corona #57  
Neat thread.

Sorry business is slow. I know several with cancelled weddings.

Dad built our farm pond (or had it built, not sure) back in 50s.

/ Building Lake Corona
Not much for progress updates. Been fighting the left track on this machine and it finally won. Lots of tears in the tracks and the left one de-railed twice. The 2nd time it ripped one of the bars completely out. I knew another set of tracks was in order and have been trying to get what I could out of these. Working the steep slopes was just too much on this old set. I was able to get the bottom of the core filled up to grade. At least any water that pools up will flower across now and not fill with water. On a side note the water has slowly filled up to the current grade so I'm assuming that means the water table is at least higher than the bottom of the pond. If the dam holds then it should hold water I think. Hauling the ctl back to the shop today to get the tracks off and wait for the new set to show up. Oh and I got stuck again. This time I was able to get the tractor in to pull it out. Much easier recovery. Found out the new Kubota has a lot more power than my old Case 55C tractor as well. I broke two of the yellow 2" 10,000 lb break strength straps during the recovery before I rounded up enough chain for the reach. My Case would go into relief before ever getting close to breaking one. Hopefully the new tracks will be here by this weekend and I can finally get a productive day of work in.

2020-03-31_05-38-48

2020-04-01_08-33-34

Here's a pic after the recovery.

2020-03-31_05-38-33

/ Building Lake Corona #59  
It sounds like a minor setback, and not completely unexpected. Hopefully you are back at it soon, it's nice to read (or write) about something besides gloom and doom.

/ Building Lake Corona #60  
Yep stay busy at least during the daylight!