bumper pull or gooseneck

/ bumper pull or gooseneck #11  
My 2000 Ford F350 drw is rated for 20K pull, from a fifth wheel (assume a goose neck is the same??). It stipulates that max bumper pull is 10K, so that would leave me out of pulling your load with a bumper hitch trailer. Check and double check the spec's on your truck. The ratings have risen over the last few years, but you didn't mention the year of your Dodge.
David from jax

/ bumper pull or gooseneck #12  
I have a ram 3500 DRW. I want to get a trailer to tow my excavtor (7k lbs) and other friends equip. I would like to be able to tow a 10k lb machine. I was looking at 14k trailers, tilt bed bumper pull and deck over gooseneck. I may eventually get a srw truck. I know the gooseneck will tow better but I dont currently have a ball installed and the low deck height of the tilt bed is attractive to me. I am leaning towards the bumper pull but have never towed that much weight. Any concerns with 14k bumper pull trailer?

I tow 16,000# all over the place, 2,500 miles per year or more, with a bumper pull and a SRW F350. No issues at all.

Chris

/ bumper pull or gooseneck #13  
My 2000 Ford F350 drw is rated for 20K pull, from a fifth wheel (assume a goose neck is the same??). It stipulates that max bumper pull is 10K, so that would leave me out of pulling your load with a bumper hitch trailer. Check and double check the spec's on your truck. The ratings have risen over the last few years, but you didn't mention the year of your Dodge.
David from jax

No way your truck has a 20,000# tow limit. That's the max GCWR and your truck is about 7,500# leaving you about 12,500#

Chris

/ bumper pull or gooseneck #14  
I spend a little time on the road. I watch what people haul and I would say majority are doing it with a gn when it comes to equipment.

/ bumper pull or gooseneck
thanks for the replies. I was already thinking that I would stick to 10k or less on the bumper and anything over to go GN. I think I need to get a ball installed. Plus they look cooler.

/ bumper pull or gooseneck #16  
Can anyone answer this for me. Given equal trail bed length, lets say 20', which is shorter in trailing length from tow vehicle rear bumper to end of trailer, A BP or GN? I can go either way on my truck, an 06 F250 SRW CC PSD with 10,000# spring pack and rear sway bar. Thanks, Bruce

/ bumper pull or gooseneck #17  
Can anyone answer this for me. Given equal trail bed length, lets say 20', which is shorter in trailing length from tow vehicle rear bumper to end of trailer, A BP or GN? I can go either way on my truck, an 06 F250 SRW CC PSD with 10,000# spring pack and rear sway bar. Thanks, Bruce

I would say the GN will be shorter because the BP tongue will add length. The GN neck over is over the truck bed.

Still, the BP trailer will track closer to the tow vehicle tracks since the BP hitch & trailer tongue steers more. A GN will track inside of the TV's wheel tracks in a curve.

/ bumper pull or gooseneck #18  
I think you will have a hard time finding a bumper-pull hitch that is rated to tow the kind of weight you're talking about. I know they exist--I can find them on eTrailer.com--but they're usually aftermarket. Bear in mind that, when bumper-pulling heavy, you absolutely want a load-balancing hitch (and often, you need one in order to stay compliant with specs).

When you're doing the math, bear in mind that a nominal 15% of a bumper-pull's weight, and 25% of a gooseneck's weight, should be over the pin or ball. If you are marginal on your payload rating, this might end up being a deal-breaker. I only point this out because I've seen trucks that have extravagant tow ratings, but surprisingly small payload capacity, especially when you subtract out the weight of passenger(s) and misc junk that is riding in the cab. To be fair, all of my shopping has been in the 1/2 and 3/4 ton category, and none of the trucks I've looked at actually would tow 16k, so it may be that by the time you get up into that range, the numbers even out a bit. Your 3500 dually certainly has a lot of payload capacity.

Last edited:
   / bumper pull or gooseneck #19  
Gooseneck over bumper, 5th wheel over all..

/ bumper pull or gooseneck #20  
your trailer will weigh probably 6000# empty and that would be 16000# total.

your weights are WAY off.

big tex 14K 18' equipment trailer #2710 several other large name equipment trailers in the 12-14K range are all just under 3000lbs.

one of the above 14K trailer with 10% TW (1400lbs) will give a trailer cargo capacity of over 12,000lbs. Course youll likely want a 1 ton or better with a class V WD hitch.

but its very doable for much less than the GN.

a BP is nice when you want to consider going to a F450 or 550 with a dump bed and can no longer put a GN in the back of the truck. They also open up other options for tow vehicals such as 1 ton vans, or box trucks, NPR or the like.