Busted rear diff dodge 2500

/ Busted rear diff dodge 2500 #111  
Yep, and my 6.4L Fords wouldn’t do it either. The 550 I had was only rated at 33,000 GCWR. That was the max they offered in ‘08.
Ford has finally caught up on their GCWR ratings, but I got stung BAD by Ford on the 6.4L. They hung the 6.4L and 6L owners out to dry. Gave them nothing but huge repair bills and diesel engines that barely made it past 100K miles without expensive problems and horrible reliability. The owners were forced to modify the engines at substantial cost, just to keep them running.
Now they have finally caught up and all the blue oval boys act like nothing ever went wrong from 2003-2011 with the 6 & 6.4L. I’d take my 6.4 in for repairs and the technician, who I had on speed dial, would practically beg me to buy a newer version.

Yeah, the newer Fords would do the job, but I don’t trust Ford anymore. In 2020, Ford had a lower GCWR than Ram.

Like the NEW Ford saying goes “Built Ford Proud”, no longer “Built Ford Tough”.

Yes, the truck, trailer and load of hay is ~48K.

A 6.0 and a 6.4 are no doubt piles. But the dodge/ram interiors fell apart and the automatic transmissions were piles. I’d way rather have a GM truck from that era but I hate the front ends on a new GM.

/ Busted rear diff dodge 2500 #112  
A 6.0 and a 6.4 are no doubt piles. But the dodge/ram interiors fell apart and the automatic transmissions were piles. I’d way rather have a GM truck from that era but I hate the front ends on a new GM.
The whole “dodge interiors fell apart” gets old. My dodge 2500 has 350k miles on it. Everything inside still works. The A/C doesn’t get used so it was never recharged. But has original clutch etc. everything still works. I am the original owner. Trucks last however they are treated. Treat them bad and they won’t last. I don’t care what you buy, but my experience with Dodge/Stellantis is just fine.
IMG_0334.jpeg

/ Busted rear diff dodge 2500 #113  
The whole “dodge interiors fell apart” gets old. My dodge 2500 has 350k miles on it. Everything inside still works. The A/C doesn’t get used so it was never recharged. But has original clutch etc. everything still works. I am the original owner. Trucks last however they are treated. Treat them bad and they won’t last. I don’t care what you buy, but my experience with Dodge/Stellantis is just fine.View attachment 804574
The interior on my 2007 Dodge 2500 is still in great shape. And to respond to the auto transmission issues; those defective transmissions were pre 2005. A design change in 2005 addressed that issue.

/ Busted rear diff dodge 2500 #114  
That video I linked seemed to be "that" nightmare scenario with a new Ford and CP 4.

Also sounded like Ford might fight him on even doing a CP4 warranty on his truck.
When his Ford truck broke down they Told him to move his trailer off their lot... 9 hour drive from home...
Offered no help and it was a youtube viewer that lent him his Cummins powered Ram to get his race car and trailer home.
Way to take care of the Customer and build brand loyalty Ford.

Truck needed over $11000 in repairs
Warranty came through, Good on Ford for that.
He sold the truck back to the dealer where it broke down.

Swears he will never own a CP 4 equipped diesel again

Risk of expensive disaster is just to high

/ Busted rear diff dodge 2500 #115  
I don't need to back anything up when I'm stating my opinion. I respect yours

???
I just wouldn't expect you to meet me at a certain time somewhere because Im pretty sure I know what you drive! Hahaha.

I'll bring a book for the wait.

334 k miles on the '91, 367k miles on the '01 and 27k on the '21, never walked yet. My Fords over the years, yup, several times. That said, I still like Fords.

I don't have much to say because you can't tell me how the Fords are more truck like than the Dodge/Ram. I am still waiting.

You might want to bring a Ford book on drive train builds v/s Dodge/Ram. They really aren't much different. They can both do a lot of work, if you know how to drive truck...

/ Busted rear diff dodge 2500 #116  
So we’re comparing diesel engines to seats? hahaha

And BTW, the Ram transmissions were piles when the Ford transmissions were piles, too.

I’ve rebuilt a few Ford 4R100’s.
Ram’s transmissions have been fine for 10+ years.

”Built Ford Proud” https://media.ford.com/content/ford...ud-campaign-celebrates-the-next-generati.html

Last edited:
   / Busted rear diff dodge 2500 #117  
Truck needed over $11000 in repairs
Warranty came through, Good on Ford for that.
He sold the truck back to the dealer where it broke down.

Swears he will never own a CP 4 equipped diesel again

Risk of expensive disaster is just to high
Nice thing is, if you buy a Ram, you get a replacement pump whether it breaks or not. In fact, Ram won’t stop sending you notices to get it fixed!

Ford’s has to break in the middle of pulling a mountain or driving through an intersection to get it fixed.

/ Busted rear diff dodge 2500 #118  
???

334 k miles on the '91, 367k miles on the '01 and 27k on the '21, never walked yet. My Fords over the years, yup, several times. That said, I still like Fords.

I don't have much to say because you can't tell me how the Fords are more truck like than the Dodge/Ram. I am still waiting.

You might want to bring a Ford book on drive train builds v/s Dodge/Ram. They really aren't much different. They can both do a lot of work, if you know how to drive truck...

Well said.
I kind of laugh at the brand loyalty aspect of trucks. I have owned all 3 brands over the last 30 years. Basically, they all buy 75% of the components from the same manufacturers and slap them together. The differences between them are as much style as substance.

Where I have found a difference is the dealership and service experience.
Ram went out of their way for my business and treated me like an important customer. Ford dealer was arrogant because they sell more trucks.

Ram had a longer warranty than Ford and was cheaper. 100k on the entire powertrain. Ford & GM was 100K on the engine only. Ram was thousands less. That said a lot and sealed the deal for me.

/ Busted rear diff dodge 2500 #119  
Nice thing is, if you buy a Ram, you get a replacement pump whether it breaks or not. In fact, Ram won’t stop sending you notices to get it fixed!

Ford’s has to break in the middle of pulling a mountain or driving through an intersection to get it fixed.

Yep, I have decided to never own a CP 4 injected diesel either. Have to wonder if the engineer that found a way to make a replacement for the CP 3 was fired.
eventually.
The idea of using a non retained roller that also contaminates the fuel system and injectors when it wears or gets out of position blows my mind. Mechanical roller lifters have a very long history and in every other case of utilizing them I have seen they use some form of positive key/ retainer/ or locating feature.
Not so with the early CP 4 . Solid Roller Cam manufacturers learned this lesson in the very beginning what horrible destruction can take place without positive location of the roller as in tearing out the lifter bore and block destruction. But it gets worse, the CP 4 design incorporated a spread the contamination through all parts of the fuel system as it eats itself. Just Brilliant.
I guess there are updated versions of CP 4 pumps but why even replace the Tried and true CP 3 when at least in Cummins case can achieve the pressures needed.
Also as pointed out in Fords case the whole cab has to come off the truck to service the engine when this carnage takes place.
I would be Very leery of buying a CP 4 equipped used diesel when the truck is out of warranty- no matter how nice the seats and cab are. Of course none of this includes the other reasons an inline Cummins is the choice of many diesel truck owners.