BX25 GrappleOmatic

/ BX25 GrappleOmatic #1  

Artisan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25
Santa brought me a FEL grapple. Anyone seeing me doing anything wrong here, or shall I carry on? The tips of the grapple just barely touch the front edge of the toothbar, not the teeth, the horizontal bar that lays parrallel w/ the bucket, left/right. You can see the business end, the grapple itself in the background in top pic.

grapple1.jpg

grapple2.jpg

grapple3.jpg

grapple4.jpg

/ BX25 GrappleOmatic #2  
Looks good so far. Can't wait to see the finished project!:thumbsup:

Joe

/ BX25 GrappleOmatic #4  
You are doing a nice job. How much does all that weigh?

/ BX25 GrappleOmatic
Weight? I am probably loosing a good 100 pounds off my capacity (when it is on)but I don't care much, just a couple more trips if I am moving material, I want the vesatility. The grapple mount to the bucket is just a piece of 3.5 x 3.5 x .250 Structural angle, it weighs maybe 15# ? Somewhere close, everything else strips off if I wish. The grapple forks are going to be quick release, just 2 cylinder pins w/ clips like a class 2 trailer hitch and the hoses are going to be QD's (Quick Disconnects) so if I want, I am almost back to stock, again, that versatility I seek. Perhaps it will be powered with THIS. (Scroll to bottom, look at 700-5032-4080 )

/ BX25 GrappleOmatic #6  
Looks good. I have a friend that is just itching to do some fabrication for me and this is a project I want to do as well. First he is going to build a set of debris forks to bolt onto the bucket. Following that will be the grapple. As for myself I think I want the grapple to extend out beyond the bucket but not beyond the debris forks.

Anyone have a grapple that would offer an opinion?

/ BX25 GrappleOmatic
Campbell I have been chewing on this very thing, that is the length of the grapple in relation to the bucket. I had Santa get me the smallest one for weight issues, and should I feel I want it longer, it will be a small task to weld on some extensions, maybe some extensions w/ a certain "cool" factor to them.
I to would like an opinion from someone who has a grapple as well.

/ BX25 GrappleOmatic
Albeit I am not a class act when it comes to fabricating, I am however testiment to the fact that one needs to BUY A WELDER and START WELDING to learn. Some basic tools, a grinder and drill press and a saw and your going to be making stuff you see others make. I say this because lately it seems I have been reading a lot of guys proclaiming no welding skills, like I used too, till I maned up and bought a used inexpensive welder. Now look! HA! I make all kinds of stuff! Bird Turd welds and All! But it works and I didn't pay the man to do it for me. Little by little, my welds improve... :thumbsup:

Anywho, the GrappleOmatic continues.

grapple-angle1.jpg

Below is a reveal for the cylinder reinforcement plate OE on the bucket.

grapple-angle2.jpg

grapple-angle3.jpg

Below is a reveal for the OE welds on the bucket at the top so angle iron sits flush to top edge of bucket.

grapple-angle4.jpg

/ BX25 GrappleOmatic
You are doing a nice job. How much does all that weigh?

I had to know so before I weld it up I dragged the scales out there and weighed it ALL.

The 3.5 x 3.5 x .250 Angle Iron w/ 4-5/8 x 2" bolts including nuts and washers, the lower grapple mount, and the top cylinder pin weight 47 pounds.

The cylinder and the 2 pins to afix the grapple forks to the grapple mount weigh 15 pounds.

The grapple forks and the cylinder pin weigh 36 pounds.

The welds will prob weigh 2 pounds.

___
100 pounds on the nose! HA! Now I didn't add the 2 pounds for welds to make it weigh 100 pounds, I did all my calcs then totaled it. So this set up on a BX25 weighs almost exacly 100 pounds.