BX25D. Mod #1 and continued.

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued. #891  
Any room for graphics from Mrs. 4shorts? Her work is the icing on the cake.

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued. #892  
4 shorts .... Nice work! How do you paint your work? Like the finish.

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued.
Great mod, 4shorts!

Thanks Farmgirl. Had to post this photo my son sent me the other day. Its our grand dogs sharing Popsicle.

nothing like a rainy day to get me started.. and just about finished with my ripper tooth. Found the tooth at Tractor Supply, got me to thinking, cut and welded some steel together and I've got an adjustable depth ripper! needs some finish grinding, shorten the adjustment pin,and paint. The rain stopped long enough to try it on some rocks in the yard. It works great. Tooth was under $40.00 and the steel approx. $20.00. I think i am going to proof-test it a few more times before paint. What color? Black or orange?

Yup. That's what I like about rainy days as well :thumbsup:

Any room for graphics from Mrs. 4shorts? Her work is the icing on the cake.

Any room? Ya she does nice work for sure. I'll let her know you liked them :thumbsup:

4 shorts .... Nice work! How do you paint your work? Like the finish.

Thanks Papa. Depends really on the size of the job. If its small I'll just use a shaker can. If its an area where detail counts I'll use an air brush and if its a big item such as a ballast box I'll use a HVLP gun. If you looked at my Flickr page link at the bottom of my signature you'll see my restorations. All of what you see was painted here at the shop by me. I can't say I like painting but its a necessary evil :confused3:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 213
   / BX25D. Mod #1 and continued. #894  
Hey Paul,
I am still following this thread daily. Every time I open the iPad it's the first thing I check. As I've said before, your creativity and craftsmanship are absolutely amazing. Your mods are practical and fully functional. You use the best materials and the precision of your work is awesome. I hope you will continue to marvel us with your imagination and crafting perfection.

I may have missed this in the your discussions on your mods, but I need to ask where you get your Kubota bright orange for painting? Can I get a small can of touch up? I don't want to buy a spray can only to have it dry up after only using a little. Any suggestions for little paint jobs?

Thanks,
DEK

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued. #895  
Hello DEK, where might you be located in the U.P.? I am on the western edge. Maybe I can help you out with paint as I think I could be closer than 4 shorts. Buggy.

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued.
Hey Paul,
I am still following this thread daily. Every time I open the iPad it's the first thing I check. As I've said before, your creativity and craftsmanship are absolutely amazing. Your mods are practical and fully functional. You use the best materials and the precision of your work is awesome. I hope you will continue to marvel us with your imagination and crafting perfection.

I may have missed this in the your discussions on your mods, but I need to ask where you get your Kubota bright orange for painting? Can I get a small can of touch up? I don't want to buy a spray can only to have it dry up after only using a little. Any suggestions for little paint jobs?

Thanks,
DEK

Thanks DEK. Its nice to hear your still enjoying the thread. I still got some mods to do. The next mod will be small in size but I've never seen it done before on a tractor so stay tuned ;)

As for your question on the paint. There's three ways you can go. You can use a small bottle of touch up paint about the size of a automotive touch up bottle that has a small brush in it. I personally don't use that type but its available at your Kubota dealer.

You can also use a spray can type of paint also available from your Kubota dealer. That would personally be my first choice because it has a much higher shelf life and will keep for a long time while not used.

The other choice is to purchase the paint from a reputable automotive paint supply store. The down side t this is you'll need special guns, solvents, strainers ...to apply and that's really not for the average homeowner so my top choice is the faithful spray can. You might be able to get a close match at Wal-Mart or a Home Hardware as well in a spray can. Hope this helps.
Thanks again for your comments and encouragement. It do help me try and keep posting on this because its the season for driving the convertible and the motorcycle so the tractors time is greatly reduced ;)

I did a bit of a fast video yesterday on the BX updates. Did it while working so im not wearing my Sundays best but its in HD :thumbsup:

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued. #897  
Hey bxbuggy,

I live in Escanaba. Thanks for the response. I'm going to add a tooth bar and I want to paint the two holes I need to drill. I was hoping I could use Rustoleum, but it isn't available in bright orange II. The Allis orange looks close and I've read that Chevy orange is a pretty good match. I would like to get a small can that I could open and apply with a small brush whenever I need to touch up. Any ideas?

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued. #898  
Hey bxbuggy,

I live in Escanaba. Thanks for the response. I'm going to add a tooth bar and I want to paint the two holes I need to drill. I was hoping I could use Rustoleum, but it isn't available in bright orange II. The Allis orange looks close and I've read that Chevy orange is a pretty good match. I would like to get a small can that I could open and apply with a small brush whenever I need to touch up. Any ideas?

Fellow Yooper here....graduated from Gwinn in '87, and went to Bay De Noc CC for a couple years (88-89) but had to leave as i was on a fast track to an alcohol coma ;:drink:

I was able to have Sherwin Williams match the RAL color on my STOW mixer, and bought a gallon of the paint for $42. Surprisingly I used about 2/3 of the gallon by the time I painted it with two coats. Its' a heavy Industrial Enamel. A good paint store can match nearly any color, and Kubota Orange should have a standard mixing code. I would think a quart would last a long time for small projects, or touch up, but many stores cant do a custom color in a quart. I used an automotive paint gun to spray the paint, but it is a mess and you use lots of solvents to clean up, not something you'd want to do every day.
Heres an option, it looks like Krylon has a part number matched color. Ebay link
Krylon Kubota Tractor Orange Spray Paint 1821 12oz Aerosol Can New | eBay

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued. #899  
Spray paints: Ace hardware 17016/17016 and Valspar 5339-27 New Kubota Orange

Paul V.

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued. #900  
Best match/durability I have found yet

Sherwin Williams: Primer number: E61YC708
Top Coat number: F63EC31