Carbon Dioxide

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Carbon Dioxide #101  
Facts are aplenty, but facts will not convince the deniers, as they are driven by ideology, not the powers of observation that they almost all use every day. Tell me the difference in an operator studying a machine or field failure that is different from science? There is ideally little difference. Both are based in observation, in developing a hypothesis, and than doing the work to verify or disprove that hypothesis. But somehow people who believe they know their own work, have decided that "scientists do not know science". An odd rejection of experience.
I spent 20 years traveling the US adjusting weather catastrophe related building and equipment disasters. And in the last 10, (recently retired) I almost always met at least one old timer, often a farmer, who would say "I grew up here, been here 60-70 years, and we never before had weather like this, never this strong".
Will climate disaster have to happen to each and every one of us before the deniers begin to use the observation skills they already have on this problem?
By then, it will be too late.

/ Carbon Dioxide #102  
The latest atmospheric measurements of CO2 come in at 412 parts per million. This is the highest in more than several lifetimes, an increase of 47% since the start of the industrial revolution and 11% since the year 2000!

Carbon Dioxide functions like a Heat Blanket in the atmosphere, trapping sunlight energy and increasing the surface temperature of the Earth. This vast increase in the last twenty-four years is a direct result of increased combustion of fossil fuels....Oil and Coal.

Please tell me you hate this news, please tell me you don't believe in science but please listen. The audience of this forum is largely rural. Your interests should be aligned with a healthy environment and sustained ability of YOUR climate to support life as you wish it to be. The evidences of drought, elevated temperatures in many parts of the country, resulting fires and diminishing Glacial coverage at high elevations, more frequent and more intense Hurricanes striking the SE coast are not a hoax. All I, or anyone aware of the facts asks, is to please quit rebelling against improvements in how we conduct our operations. Look forward to vastly improved environmental tools and equipment and take pride, in taking part.
I just cannot worry about this. The best long-term climate data we have suggests that temperature change drives CO2 change, not the other way around. And we are actually at a below average CO2 content relative to long-term norms. It reached 15000 ppm when the dinosaurs were on the earth. while being only about 2 degrees warmer, and with no runaway global warming. I worry more about the inevitable coming ice age than about global warming. We are in an interglacial period right now, but these have been brief relative to the Earth's history. And yes, I believe in science. I make my living with it. I am the author of several dozen technical articles and have published a book through Wiley Interscience, with another in progress. From what I have seen, the long-term climate data simply do not support the theory of anthropogenic global warming. That having been said, I have done a lot of work on biofuels and renewable energy and chemicals. I support this area not because of fear of global warming, but because of several other factors, such as not wanting to send money to nations that seek our destruction, concern about real pollution (not CO2) and the fact that we will inevitably run out of fossil fuels someday, so it is well to work on their replacements ahead of time. And I can tell you, we are making progress in leaps and bounds.

/ Carbon Dioxide #103  
Interesting that no one wants to target the carbonated beverage industry that MANUFACTURES CO2 that 100% goes into the atmosphere once ingested or opened. At least fossil fuels are part of the CO2 O2 cycle of life/decomposition.....Until there is a solar grid to supply all your electric vehicles you are still using coal or natural gas to make your "clean" electric, which is now 4 times as expensive because demand increased and supply (# of generating plants) decreased. Media and Science needs to be equal in their attack of CO2 offenders. Carbonated rinks have no benefit to cost where fossil fuel does.

/ Carbon Dioxide #104  
You are almost correct but missed an important fact. Recent NASA research: “This new data set shows that as surface temperature increases, so does atmospheric humidity,” Dessler said. “Dumping greenhouse gases into the atmosphere makes the atmosphere more humid. And since water vapor is itself a greenhouse gas, the increase in humidity amplifies the warming from carbon dioxide."

The relationship is interconnected. More CO2, warmer surface, more evaporation, more Water Vapor in the atmosphere more warming.
It doesn’t require new data to show that “as surface temperatures increase, so does atmospheric humidity”. This has been understood for more than a century. What needs to be proven is whether temperatures have actually “risen”.

The data from US long-term historic climatology network weather stations shows that current average high temperatures are no higher than in the 1880s, and are considerably lower than in the 1930s and 1940s. (US temperature data makes up the vast majority of reliable global long-term data.)

Given that temperatures during the 1930s and 1940s, as well as during the medieval and roman warm periods, were higher than today, and thus the humidity levels were also higher, but the CO2 levels were much lower, it doesn’t seem to me that CO2 is a significant driver of temperature.

/ Carbon Dioxide #105  
We are using much more CO2 on medical procedures as it is easily absorbed by the body especially in medical procedures of the Gastrointestin type.

Don't forget carbonated beverages although some are naturally carbonated.

Plus all those CO2 fire extinguishers.
I guess I`m part of the problem. I brew quite a bit of beer and the byproduct of the yeast is CO2 and alcohol. What is the percent of CO2 the entire brewing industry produces around the world?

/ Carbon Dioxide #106  
I guess I`m part of the problem. I brew quite a bit of beer and the byproduct of the yeast is CO2 and alcohol. What is the percent of CO2 the entire brewing industry produces around the world?

We are all part of the problem since we are exhaling CO2. I guess we need to all drink the cool-aide or maybe the people that are making all the fuss should drink the cool-aide first and that will show their true dedication to the environment as they won't be exhaling CO2 anymore and contributing to the end of the world. I'll admit that I was using a gas powered chainsaw all morning, but I haven't been on a gas guzzling jet in about 20 years and I do drive a hybrid car(Ford Escape). I'm sorry that I do use my diesel tractor on a regular basis to maintain my 25 acres, but I have never lived close to a town and shots will be fired if somebody tries to move me off my rural home.

/ Carbon Dioxide #107  
Carbon dioxide absorbs infrared radiation (IR) in three narrow bands of wavelengths, which are 2.7, 4.3 and 15 micrometers (µM). This means that most of the heat producing radiation escapes it. About 8% of the available black body radiation is picked up by these "fingerprint" frequencies of CO2.

Water vapor is the significant heat capture mechanism,

Plus, PLANTS dearly love CO2 good plant growth means food for everybody. WIN,WIN
Good points CalG: "Climate Change" is the ultimate political issue competing with racism and illegal trespass at our borders. First, regardless of what we do it will be outweighed by India and China not doing it. Self destruction of our economy serves no good purpose. Secondly, to amplify CalG's point -- water vapor does 4X as much greenhouse effect as CO2. So destroying our mechanisms that work to make marginal changes in what is only 20% of the greenhouse gas effect (or less) to satisfy largely ignorant crusaders is worse than stupid, the effect is inherently negligible. We SHOULD conserve fossil fuels as much as we can because there is only a finite amount and because all future generations need fossil fuel to make things for which there is no known substitute. Don't burn it unless you really need to. This entire issue is obviously political. Period.

/ Carbon Dioxide #108  
The latest atmospheric measurements of CO2 come in at 412 parts per million. This is the highest in more than several lifetimes, an increase of 47% since the start of the industrial revolution and 11% since the year 2000!

Carbon Dioxide functions like a Heat Blanket in the atmosphere, trapping sunlight energy and increasing the surface temperature of the Earth. This vast increase in the last twenty-four years is a direct result of increased combustion of fossil fuels....Oil and Coal.

Please tell me you hate this news, please tell me you don't believe in science but please listen. The audience of this forum is largely rural. Your interests should be aligned with a healthy environment and sustained ability of YOUR climate to support life as you wish it to be. The evidences of drought, elevated temperatures in many parts of the country, resulting fires and diminishing Glacial coverage at high elevations, more frequent and more intense Hurricanes striking the SE coast are not a hoax. All I, or anyone aware of the facts asks, is to please quit rebelling against improvements in how we conduct our operations. Look forward to vastly improved environmental tools and equipment and take pride, in taking part.
One of the things that I have read is that much of this is due to the decrease of herd animals in the world, or more appropriately free range herd animals. There is a lot of science to indicate that the soil captured an immense amount of CO2 due to the biology of herds of buffalo, elephants, and other animals. Yes, the tractor, car, truck, power plants contribute, but much, if not most of the problem is that the CO2 previously tied up in the soil is now in the atmosphere. https://savory.global/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/restoring-the-climate.pdf

/ Carbon Dioxide #109  
Follow the science, I say follow the money.

Watch anything by Janet Ossebaard and do your own research, you will be pleasantly enlightened.

Excellent clearing house of current conspiracy theories and some just could be true. SHHHHhhhh don't tell your family or friends you looked through any of this crap.

/ Carbon Dioxide #110  
I suggest you go read about the Vostok ice cores and you will rapidly realize the whole global warming or shall I now say climate change "Agenda" is nothing more than just that. An "Agenda".

Status
Not open for further replies.