Carbon Dioxide

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Carbon Dioxide #121  
The scientist co-founder of Greenpeace, from back before it was completely co-opted by the corporatocracy, has some profound things to say on the matter:

/ Carbon Dioxide #122  
The latest atmospheric measurements of CO2 come in at 412 parts per million. This is the highest in more than several lifetimes, an increase of 47% since the start of the industrial revolution and 11% since the year 2000!

Carbon Dioxide functions like a Heat Blanket in the atmosphere, trapping sunlight energy and increasing the surface temperature of the Earth. This vast increase in the last twenty-four years is a direct result of increased combustion of fossil fuels....Oil and Coal.

Please tell me you hate this news, please tell me you don't believe in science but please listen. The audience of this forum is largely rural. Your interests should be aligned with a healthy environment and sustained ability of YOUR climate to support life as you wish it to be. The evidences of drought, elevated temperatures in many parts of the country, resulting fires and diminishing Glacial coverage at high elevations, more frequent and more intense Hurricanes striking the SE coast are not a hoax. All I, or anyone aware of the facts asks, is to please quit rebelling against improvements in how we conduct our operations. Look forward to vastly improved environmental tools and equipment and take pride, in taking part.

You have been hoodwinked...you are a victim...take off the blinders and quit drinking the kool-aid...!

There is no more concrete evidence that human released C02 causes higher temps than there is proof of bigfoot...ABSOLUTELY ZERO...

/ Carbon Dioxide #123  
Perhaps a different way to look at is that the world is going the way it's going. The US has always been a world leader through innovation, technology, intelligence and resourcefulness. We can stay ahead by continuing to innovate, grow with the technology, and using our resources and intelligence to our advantage. To not change because third world countries aren't doesn't make sense to me. We're Americans, we lead the way.

Or, we we can continue to rely on technologies that are growing old and let others lead the way... and then years down the road buy those technologies from them as they once did from us...

EDIT* and I would LOVE an electric tractor to bring us back to the forum...

/ Carbon Dioxide #124  
The latest atmospheric measurements of CO2 come in at 412 parts per million. This is the highest in more than several lifetimes, an increase of 47% since the start of the industrial revolution and 11% since the year 2000!

Carbon Dioxide functions like a Heat Blanket in the atmosphere, trapping sunlight energy and increasing the surface temperature of the Earth. This vast increase in the last twenty-four years is a direct result of increased combustion of fossil fuels....Oil and Coal.

Please tell me you hate this news, please tell me you don't believe in science but please listen. The audience of this forum is largely rural. Your interests should be aligned with a healthy environment and sustained ability of YOUR climate to support life as you wish it to be. The evidences of drought, elevated temperatures in many parts of the country, resulting fires and diminishing Glacial coverage at high elevations, more frequent and more intense Hurricanes striking the SE coast are not a hoax. All I, or anyone aware of the facts asks, is to please quit rebelling against improvements in how we conduct our operations. Look forward to vastly improved environmental tools and equipment and take pride, in taking part.
Overall, modern equipment burns much cleaner. There are just so damned many people out there burning fossil fuels now. Gonna be hard to keep something catastrophic from happening.

/ Carbon Dioxide #125  
Original post said:
> The latest atmospheric measurements of CO2 come in at 412 parts per million. This is the highest in more than several lifetimes,

Well, according to the National Geographic, the last time the earth was at 400 ppm was around 2.6 to 5.3 million years ago:
Climate Milestone: Earth's CO2 Level Passes 400 ppm

Let's assume 5 million years and lifetimes of 100 years, both a bit high but the math is easy.
That's 50,000 lifetimes, which definitely counts as "more than several".

Here's a very cool graphic, if you make it all the way to the bottom it will be pretty obvious
that the current spike in temps is not normal:
1732: Earth Temperature Timeline - explain xkcd

Catastrophic variations in global temps over just the last 20,000 years,
but there was nothing like the current changes in CO2 levels that we are having now.
When these high CO2 levels have time to give their full impact, the ice ages could look like minor inconveniences.

If we stop emitting CO2 now, temps will still coast up considerably as arctic ice melts to absorb more sun
and permafrost releases trapped methane. Oceans have been absorbing much of the excess CO2, but there's a limit to that.
It's a slow motion catastrophe, given current trends.
But I'm hopeful we can get through this.
Short term we may need a technological fix such as reflective aerosols in the upper atmosphere,
long term perhaps we will just get smarter.

We're off grid, drive gas vehicles, have a Branson 3510i for light farming.
Wood for heat, perhaps more solar panels and better insulation would be a better choice.
Expect to have an electric vehicle in the next couple years.

And if that 3510i engine burns up, I may be looking to replace the engine
with a salvaged Tesla motor and battery instead of spending $10k on a new engine.
All ears if somebody has succeeded in doing anything like that.

For those who insist on believing random facebook posts and youtube videos instead of
the 99% of scientists who study climate, I suggest you ask your grandkids.

/ Carbon Dioxide #126  

Come on! 412 parts out of 1,000,000 lets get real here. If you tree huggers want o do something meaningful get China and India to reduce their emissions. They both get a free pass in the money grabbers climate change agreement.

/ Carbon Dioxide #127  

What about cow farts, and how much oil and coal does it take to charge electric vehicles ? I am in no way a gas and oil man. How many of you still use gas chain saws. Mine is battery, Yes I have a gas lawn mower and string trimmer. I try to maintain an equilibrium. I would love to go all solar and battery. Batteries have come a long way but how much pollution do they make to create them.

/ Carbon Dioxide #128  
Haven't read all the posts in this thread but a reminder of forum rules...

Don't insult each other.

Don't bring politics into the conversation.

The mere fact that climate change exists or the science of why it happens is not political and as the OP mentioned, it is relevant to rural living as climate is a big part of growing.

/ Carbon Dioxide #129  
Time changes most things. Most people in the USA collecting Social Security today will not be doing so in 2050. :)

Most are smart enough move from fossil fuel usage when using new energy sources cost less.

Fossil fuel usage will be around longer than most of us but long term it's days are numbered because of financial reasons not political reasons.

/ Carbon Dioxide #130  
15 ppb of lead in your water is the beginnings of all kinds of health issues. That's .015 ppm. It's all relative... A system out of balance is a system out of balance

Status
Not open for further replies.