Catawba Attachments 60" Grapple

/ Catawba Attachments 60" Grapple
Catawba 1/4" hardox and 1.5" sc 80 pipe. 37" lid opening
Homestead Implements 5/16 Hardox and 2" sc 80 pipe. 39.5" lid opening

There were some other differences as well that made me choose the HI Grapple. Personally, I feel it's better built than that Catawba.

My experience with HI customer service was amazing. I had a very minor issue when I received my grapple that I resolved myself. HI went out of their way to do me right. Refunded part of my money and even sent me some free stuff.
Catawba 55" is 1/4" hardox there 60" is 3/8" hardox.

/ Catawba Attachments 60" Grapple #12  
Catawba 55" is 1/4" hardox there 60" is 3/8" hardox.

I guess I assumed we were talking about the 55 and just now seen the topic was discussing the 60". There is over a 100# difference between the HI and catawba 60" grapple while the HI still uses the 2" pipe over the 1.5" pipe of the Catawba. And the HI still has a 2.5" wider opening which is very important IMO. The HI also comes with 5/16" thick guard's that protects the cylinders. The Catawba doesn't have that feature which is something I noticed when I was considering.

The center hinge is something I look forward to seeing how well it helps or hurts the overall construction. I was worried it could potentially not allow minor flexing and causing it to more easily tweak the upper shell.

Anyways, I figured I would share what I seen differently between the two and why I chose the HI over the Catawba. I know some would rather have it now than wait a few weeks, which I certainly understand. Good luck in whatever you choose.

/ Catawba Attachments 60" Grapple #13  
I guess I assumed we were talking about the 55 and just now seen the topic was discussing the 60". There is over a 100# difference between the HI and catawba 60" grapple while the HI still uses the 2" pipe over the 1.5" pipe of the Catawba. And the HI still has a 2.5" wider opening which is very important IMO. The HI also comes with 5/16" thick guard's that protects the cylinders. The Catawba doesn't have that feature which is something I noticed when I was considering.

The center hinge is something I look forward to seeing how well it helps or hurts the overall construction. I was worried it could potentially not allow minor flexing and causing it to more easily tweak the upper shell.

Anyways, I figured I would share what I seen differently between the two and why I chose the HI over the Catawba. I know some would rather have it now than wait a few weeks, which I certainly understand. Good luck in whatever you choose.
Hope the Homestead is treating you well! I want to offer some input since I designed the grapples we offer. I would put the Catawba up against the HI any day with no hesitation. Not saying they have a bad design by any means because it looks like a decent grapple but I see some weak points with the single tine on each side of the lid connecting it to the bottom of the grapple. We also use the laminated bottom tooth design which will avoid any issues of them bending. As for the 2” vs 1.5” sch 80, there was not enough of a difference in strength to justify going up another size because it would not have any added value. We also have our cylinders tucked in behind the side plates and the SSQA which eliminates the need for an extra guard all together. Our tooth bar, laminated teeth and lid hinge design make it one of the strongest, if not the strongest light weight grapple on the market!

With all that being said, I hope HI treats you well and looks like alot of people are happy with their products too. Would love to see someone with both do a comparison video one day!

/ Catawba Attachments 60" Grapple #14  
Good to have choices. This Catawba grapple does look pretty impressive.

/ Catawba Attachments 60" Grapple #15  
I can't speak to design, especially with the clam style. I did notice in my extensive research that NC has a disproportionate number of grapple mfgs. Not sure why. Maybe the same reason this part of Texas has a lot of trailer mfgs. I wouldn't assume they are like EA just because of location.

Had my root grapple out on its maiden voyage yesterday. I had to be extra careful as my grill guard is not done yet (hopefully, today). I stacked about a dozen 8-10' logs and didn't have to leave the seat once! The place is already looking better.

/ Catawba Attachments 60" Grapple
I can't speak to design, especially with the clam style. I did notice in my extensive research that NC has a disproportionate number of grapple mfgs. Not sure why. Maybe the same reason this part of Texas has a lot of trailer mfgs. I wouldn't assume they are like EA just because of location.

Had my root grapple out on its maiden voyage yesterday. I had to be extra careful as my grill guard is not done yet (hopefully, today). I stacked about a dozen 8-10' logs and didn't have to leave the seat once! The place is already looking better.
Hey Torvy,
Did you purchase one from Catawba Attachments?

/ Catawba Attachments 60" Grapple #17  

Construction Attachments is based there, those are some of the best grapples you can buy. Not cheap though, mine cost over 8k.

/ Catawba Attachments 60" Grapple #18  
Hey Torvy,
Did you purchase one from Catawba Attachments?
No. Mine is from CID (Denton, NC). Coincidentally, I bought it from a dealer in Denton, TX. 63" HD Root Grapple. 1/2" AR400. Added covers for cylinders (when extended). They also have other widths. Mine was about $2800?

They make the clam style, too.

/ Catawba Attachments 60" Grapple #19  
Boy - be really careful there Torvy. With that "unprotected" grapple. Currently I'm "deconstructing" a couple old homestead buildings on the property. Even with my grill guard - I'm being most careful.

My major concern with this project - there was not a nail or spike that the old homesteader didn't like. Four sweeps thru the area with my metal detector and I'm still getting bucket fulls of old nails & spikes.

Have you ever seen a 6 ply R-1 tire quiver in fear. Mine do on my M6040 - every time I drive into the old building area.

/ Catawba Attachments 60" Grapple #20  
I got it taken care of pretty quickly. My neighbor with the welding business gave me a great deal on this.

20240613_101834.jpg