Chain and Binders

/ Chain and Binders #1  

B7510HSD

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B2601
Ok guys what do you recommend for my Kubota I estimate the weight at 3000# with FEL and BH...5/16" chain and how many? how many binders?? This will be hauled on an 18' car trailer...Thanks in advance!

/ Chain and Binders #2  
To be legal. 6 ..........2 crossed on the front , 2 crossed on the rear, 1 on the fel bucket and 1 on the hoe.
Yup seems like overkill but thats the requirment

If GOD reached down and picked your trailer up and turned it upside down, your tractor should be still on the trailer !!

/ Chain and Binders #3  
kinda open ended question. I haul equipment for work as a job and under 10k pounds your only required one chain and one binder through the hooks at both ends of the machine. Grade 70 chains (4700 lbs). Also, we need a chain over each implement. I fyou are hauling a backhoe for example, you need a chain over the front bucket as well as the rear bucket so you would need four chains and binders legally. Depends on the state and the load. With only a 3000 pound load, I imagine you wouldnt even need grade 70. Do you want to be legal in your state or just haul the load safely? There is a difference. I know I dont need a chain over every implement traveling a few miles. Also i know i dont need grade 70 chains for some loads. But do i want to avoid some hard nosed traffic cop? Yes. check your state laws or maybe someone on here is from your state and knows.

/ Chain and Binders
Thanks chin I knew about the implements needing to be sucure..so if I was to run from one side of the trailer to the hook and then to the other side with a binder ?? or just a straight chain one one each end?

/ Chain and Binders #5  
To be legal. 6 ..........2 crossed on the front , 2 crossed on the rear, 1 on the fel bucket and 1 on the hoe.
Yup seems like overkill but thats the requirment

If GOD reached down and picked your trailer up and turned it upside down, your tractor should be still on the trailer !!

100% correct. Only thing I will add is 2" staps are fine for the FEL and BH.

Chris

/ Chain and Binders #6  
Thanks chin I knew about the implements needing to be sucure..so if I was to run from one side of the trailer to the hook and then to the other side with a binder ?? or just a straight chain one one each end?

I don't like to use just one chain. What if it comes loose or breaks?

A friend of mine was hauling a small Bobcat just 1 mile. He took the time to put 4 chains on it. Good thing he did. Traveling 45 mph a car going the opposite way came in his lane and they hit head on. His F350 saved his life. The other driver list theirs. Cops said they could not believe the equipment stayed still and not through the back of the truck. That would have surely killed him and the other two in the truck with him.

Chris

/ Chain and Binders
Thanks guys I was planning on 4 on the tractor and maybe straps on both buckets!! Now to find all this at a reasonable price everyone around here tells me Harbor Freight not so sure of the quality!!?

/ Chain and Binders #8  
Lowes is the best deal going on 5/16 G70. 20' for $30. Have them cut them in half and buy 4 extra hooks.

Chris

/ Chain and Binders #10  
while technically 6, i make use with just 2 20' chain front and rear. I hook my hook binder on the bottom of my stake pocket. 1 end of chain is hooked on tractor crossed to binder. (about 4' of chain) extra chain goes to other side of trailer, were the hook end crosses back and hooks on the rear of the tractor with a second binder on that side (extra chain in the middle on the trailer floor)

thus 2 chains on the rear made out of only 1 length of chain.

same for the front, then straps for the FEL/BH. = just 2 20' chains have to be purchaced (4 binders)