Chainsaw bar length?

/ Chainsaw bar length? #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
How is bar length measured? The total length or the portion beyond the powerhead, i.e., the length that you can actually use?

/ Chainsaw bar length? #2  
Good question. I just measured my two saws:

Husky 51 - 18" bar measures 16" useable length.

Stihl 310 - 20" bar measures 19" useable length.

Bar lengths taken from the stampings on the bar.

Harry K

/ Chainsaw bar length? #3  
Pilot, this is one of those things I assumed I knew...until you asked.

I looked at Oregon's site FAQ Oregon® Frequently Asked Questions and you almost have it: tip of bar to fartherest cutter....rounded to the nearest inch. The rounded part threw me.

I would have answered from tip to adjuster holes in bar at mount end...and been wrong.

Turnkey, I have a Husky 51, great saw, love it, but usually only gets use on hunting/camping trips, a bit light for serious firewood cutting.

RavensRoost

/ Chainsaw bar length? #4  
Pilot, this is one of those things I assumed I knew...until you asked.

I looked at Oregon's site FAQ Oregonョ Frequently Asked Questions and you almost have it: tip of bar to fartherest cutter....rounded to the nearest inch. The rounded part threw me.

I would have answered from tip to adjuster holes in bar at mount end...and been wrong.

Turnkey, I have a Husky 51, great saw, love it, but usually only gets use on hunting/camping trips, a bit light for serious firewood cutting.

RavensRoost

Love mine too. I picked it up in a pawn shop about 5-6 years ago. I use it for my limbing and bucking small stuff. MS310 for the "big" saw (should have bought the 361 instead). Not a bad saw and will haul a 25" bar with skip tooth chain acceptably.

Harry K

/ Chainsaw bar length? #5  
How is bar length measured? The total length or the portion beyond the powerhead, i.e., the length that you can actually use?

it may depend on the manufacturer. some may indicate bar length as what does it measure as a hunk of steel in your hand.

others may indicate from power head (or traction teeth) forward ie usable length.

generally i know my stihl bar length as a number of chain links as thats what really matters.

/ Chainsaw bar length?
I stopped by the saw shop yesterday and the technician confirmed what schmism said: Bar length is defined differently by different manufacturers. So on my old Homelite, he measured it from between the hold down bolts or maybe some point between the bolts that I didn't notice.

I wish the industry would standardize this so I could compare specs from different manufacturers.

Thanks to all you folks who replied.