Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #161  
I have a question. Is there any reason the fel on a tractor can’t be designed like the case 580 backhoe where the cylinders are completely sucked in with the bucket rolled all the wat down. No way to bend cylinder with this design. I tried to load a pic of what I was talking about but don’t know how apparently.

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #162  
I have a question. Is there any reason the fel on a tractor can’t be designed like the case 580 backhoe where the cylinders are completely sucked in with the bucket rolled all the wat down. No way to bend cylinder with this design. I tried to load a pic of what I was talking about but don’t know how apparently.
I would guess the major reason is cost. There are lots of benefits to that system. Probably not deemed necessary on a lower capacity CUT, utility, or farm tractor application.

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #163  
......or just spend more money on better cylinders that have more overlap at full extension?

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #164  
Yea, lot more to that design. Hing points and linkages. All add to cost.

Is it a better system....sure. Because extending a cylinder has more power than retracting. So they design like that to get more rollback power. Not really something these light CUT's are lacking

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #165  
Case 580’s and other heavy equipment manufacturers use hyd valves with work port reliefs set at different values to protect the cylinders from induced loads. Although they can still bend a hyd rod it’s not as common compared to tractor cylinders with no work port relief.

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #166  

They could be designed as strong as you want but the cost would be so high that nobody would buy them. At the end of the day tractors aren’t construction equipment. They have loaders not dozer arms. A tractor isn’t designed to and won’t take much abuse. If you want to abuse something and it take it you should buy a CTL or a real dozer. People think they paid so much money for their tractors that they should be indestructible. But in reality they cost 1/2 or 1/3 what construction equipment does.

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #167  
Case 580’s and other heavy equipment manufacturers use hyd valves with work port reliefs set at different values to protect the cylinders from induced loads. Although they can still bend a hyd rod it’s not as common compared to tractor cylinders with no work port relief.

I’ve never noticed my backhoe to have a work relief port but my skid steer does. But the way the front cylinder is designed on the backhoe it would be nearly impossible to damage. You’d have to do something way outside of intended use like ramming a stump at full speed to have any chance of hurting it.
IMG_0862.JPG

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #168  
I believe construction equipment also tends to use induction hardened rods too, at least that's what I saw in my time in a shop that rebuilt cylinders.

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #169  
KWentling, also the IHCP comes only in higher tensile strength at 100ksi. Many non hardened is 50k, 75k and 85k.