Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #171  
IF, I had a dollar for every time I have back dragged with my loader, I'd easily have the money to go buy a NEW farm tractor with a loader on it!

Of course, I'd buy it with another ALO loader on it, as they are built tough enough that back dragging doesn't hurt them.

SR

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #172  
IF, I had a dollar for every time I have back dragged with my loader, I'd easily have the money to go buy a NEW farm tractor with a loader on it!

Of course, I'd buy it with another ALO loader on it, as they are built tough enough that back dragging doesn't hurt them.

SR

Put your bucket at 90 degrees and pull on a stump and let’s see how it handles it. Now I’m sure you’re going to fire back with you’re not stupid and don’t treat your equipment like that. But that’s how the newbies are tearing up their loader. Nobody ever hurt their loader with the bucket at 45 degrees or less dragging across dirt.

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #173  
I was at a farm/estate sale today and got to see a Case 530 linkage up close. View attachment 723440
PXL_20211203_194236122.jpg

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #174  

Attachments

• IMG_0862.JPG
    IMG_0862.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 73
Last edited:
   / Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #175  
Another interesting thing I found on that Case 530 was the hydraulic cylinder at the base of the loader, near where it's anchored to the frame.
PXL_20211203_194341320.jpg

View attachment 723460

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #176  
enjoy

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #177  
They’ll survive back dragging with the bucket at 45 degrees. It’s when you roll it to 90 degrees that problems happen.
I prefer back dragging with the bucket in float. Yes it takes a few more passes that way, but I have the time, and is much less stressful. I will "rake down" gravel from a pile or something like that where I know I am not going to hit a rock or old tree stump and cause shock, but over ground I do it in float with not much bucket angle. It always just floats over anything I hit. Been doing it since 1991, and I do it a lot. Have never broken anything.

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #178  
Regarding the videos little bill posted in post #176, I found the third video with the kubotas the most interesting.

That was a LONG stump bucket. I gotta wonder why they had it on the smaller tractor though?

But none the less....the operator illustrated good technique. Both tractors actually with regard to back dragging.

The operator on the smaller one with the stump bucket never back dragged with the bucket dumped all the way. And resisted the urge to put that vertical (fully dumped) bucket in the ground to try and wiggle it in. And he made sure it didnt drag the ground when fully dumped.

Look at 3:11 in the video....its easy to see that if one "wanted" to....they could probably very easily bend them cylinder rods

stump bucket.PNG

As it sits in this pic....that stump bucket has about 10:1 mechanical advantage over them cylinders. About double what the standard bucket for that tractor would have.

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #179  
Another interesting thing I found on that Case 530 was the hydraulic cylinder at the base of the loader, near where it's anchored to the frame.View attachment 723459
View attachment 723460
That may be a form of hydraulic self leveling. It would use the flow generated by the boom movement to supplement or detract from the curl cylinders.

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #180  
I work landscaping with my personal gc2400, company I also work with had gc1710tlb and now uses gc1723 I and others also use.
I also use neighbors gc1725M.
lot of back dragging involved.
very seldom do we get front tires off ground, if we do its only for few (2-4ft) feet just to get the pile dispersed.
we OFTEN will go 3/4 curl down (lip of bucket past the vertical plane so as to actually pull material) and drag back but lip is never on ground and tires not raised.
then we use the float mode gc series has after using non float to disperse.
I prob have 200 + hours (no ****) doing it this way on the gc series (and about 30 hours on an MF1532 but no float mode) with zero cylinder damage.
BUT...I and the others always watch...you can tell when stressing cylinders.