Choosing the right tractor

/ Choosing the right tractor #91  
Ok just a update on my thread. I ended up finally on a branson 3515h. I went to Big Tex tractors in caddo mills texas and I would recommend to anyone interested in a branson to check them out if you can. They are about 1hour 45 min from my house in East Texas.
I went to the dealership to look at the tractors and I'm. Glad I did. My original thought was a 4820h but when I looked at it in person it was just too big for my property. With the tasks I need to do it was just too big of a tractor. I have a lot of wooded area. The 3520 same thing. Plus added price with all the implements I need with it I could do it with the 3515h for less money.
I ended up with a 3515h with a FEL, 5' box blade , 5' rotary mower , 5' tiller , and a 3rd function and grapple bucket and that was the top that I could afford. It was a great price for all that.
I am waiting to have it delivered should be about 2-3 weeks. The branson 20 series is nice but price and size were the main factors in getting the 3515h. I will try to post pictures when it arrives.
Congratulations!

Talking with Hubby on other phone while I read this and he said he would recommend looking at Branson in today's market.

Janet

/ Choosing the right tractor #92  
I won't argue with your cutting time except to say it must be very dependent on how much you pay being relevant to how fast your zero turn can mow.
I purchased a gravely zero turn this year but honestly my cutting time for the 5 acres around the house did not decrease nearly as drastically as many others seem to report.
What I noticed is unless your spending the amount needed to buy a zero turn with a cutting width the same as your tractor or you have lots of obstacles and your top speed isn't a lot more your cutting time may not improve as much as others seem to report.
Yes my cut time did improve slightly but I didn't seem to gain all that much and I needed to trim trees and arrange other things to enable the zero turn to get under things the finish mower did
just by backing it in.
All said and done I cant get any closer with the zero turn than I was able to with our tractor, just doing it differently or a different direction of travel.
I did however find it more convenient especially when I don't have time to cut everything and don't feel as bored cutting.
Time saved I would have to say about 20 minutes maybe 25 minutes but I lost cutting with and although I have not confirmed it hubby says that this zero turn isn't going that much faster. He claims it only feels faster because your on a small machine.

Janet
The times I reported were my actual experience. It made a huge difference to me. Since the ZTR is lower to the ground than a tractor, it can get under most trees. But I cut branches of if need be to allow it to get under. But it really did cut my total mowing time by hours. The only problems I have had are inability to cut when very wet (compared to a $WD tractor) and difficulty on slopes.

/ Choosing the right tractor #93  
I'm just wondering what the most reliable cost effective 40 to 55 hp tractor that I can get with the implements I need.
have you looked at the Mahindra 5100 series? 5145 or 5155 are good, heavy no nonsense high end of the CUT segment, and reasonably priced (5145 == 30K with FEL). the LS MT342 is also a good package in that segment.

/ Choosing the right tractor #94  
have you looked at the Mahindra 5100 series? 5145 or 5155 are good, heavy no nonsense high end of the CUT segment, and reasonably priced (5145 == 30K with FEL). the LS MT342 is also a good package in that segment.
He already purchased a Branson 5 months ago......

/ Choosing the right tractor #96  
The 3 tractors I'm seriously considering to aquire in about 2 months are the massey ferguson 2850e, kioti dk45se, or the kubota l4701.
I favor Kioti, they have great hydro flow and more reach than a kubota. I'd get more HP than you are looking at maybe the FK 55.
You say "by the time the field dries the grass gets 2-3 feet tall."
I'm wondering how much vehicle weight the soggy ground can handle if you are hoping to get on it before it dries. Or do you want to cut it when it's tall? A Flail would do that.

"a pond that needs cleaned up around the edges and cleaned out when it gets low."
Hmmm, you planning on driving a 4000-pound tractor into a pond and expect not to have to hire someone to rescue it? Is it possible to clean a pond with a tractor? I ask because I don't know, it just sounds sort of dicey to me. Maybe a dredge bucket you will haul on a chain? I've never cleaned a pond.

"nimble enough to navigate in the woods."
You can do what the christmass tree guys do and mount your wheels in closer but that makes it more tippy. Take a tape measure and figure how narrow it's gotta be.
on my Kioti if I split the brake pedal, it will come about like a Zero turn by applying just the one brake pedal. but the turn radius on the Kioti is damn tight to start with check the web site for the specs of whatever tractor you like. I'll have all that plus PTO power & lift capacity, wheel stance, height of tractor. weight without the FEL, Fel reach & weight limits, and all kinds of useful info.

/ Choosing the right tractor #97  
The times I reported were my actual experience. It made a huge difference to me. Since the ZTR is lower to the ground than a tractor, it can get under most trees. But I cut branches of if need be to allow it to get under. But it really did cut my total mowing time by hours. The only problems I have had are inability to cut when very wet (compared to a $WD tractor) and difficulty on slopes.
I wasn’t actually questioning your results just pointing out some things that I think might need to be considered if someone decided to look into them.

So far we I haven’t had any issue with our slopes. Just as with any mower if conditions are not Ideal some traction loss forcing me to only go down hill in spots.
When traction is good the wheelies are fun and add some excitement to the day.😁 Saddly if the front gets too high the cut suffers but it’s still fun.

Janet