Choosing the right tractor

/ Choosing the right tractor #61  
What I'm not seeing on here is that none of the major brands make their own tractors under ---__??<__--- usually 75hp so check on that brand directly to see if you don't get a better price
We own a 55hp branson open cab

A 65hp mahindra cab tractor made by tym

And a 85hp massey made by massey

All went through farm credit nice bank/ credit union with dividends

We bought all tractors new and all implements used
Hope this helps and good farming
Kubota makes their own tractors and engines.

/ Choosing the right tractor #62  
Best I can tell, Kubota and Yanmar (both 100+ year old Japanese companies) are the only purebreds in the compact tractor world that build the entire tractor, including the engine, under their own name. No rebranding, rebadging, outsourcing, or trade names to obfuscate what you’re purchasing.
True, but the name is not important. GM sells under a bunch of names.

TYM does it all on most of their tractors. I don't care that the engine is not called TYM. They own Kukje. They also own Branson.

/ Choosing the right tractor
Things always change. At one time kubota was where kioti and branson even the new masseys are now.
If you didn't have a deere or case or any other American made tractor you were looked down on.
Heck if you didn't drive an American made car you were sneered at.
I can still remember made in japan was what made in China is now.

I'm just wondering what the most reliable cost effective 40 to 55 hp tractor that I can get with the implements I need.

/ Choosing the right tractor #65  
I'm just wondering what the most reliable cost effective 40 to 55 hp tractor that I can get with the implements I need.
It comes down to what you will be using the tractor for (what implements you will need), your topography and soil conditions, and proximity to dealers. I went through this process using a spreadsheet earlier this year. Decision came down to Kubota L4701, Massey 2850M and Kioti DK4510. I was able to get the DK4510 with loader; added rear remotes, air ride seat, telescoping link kit, third function, grapple, 84" dual spindle rotary cutter, and rubber floor mat for less money than the other two with just the loader. I already have a box scraper and post hole digger. Easy choice.

A lesson that learned from my previous tractor; MF1250, 34hp, smaller and lighter; it did "mostly" what I needed to do for 27 years but always wished I had gone bigger (read "heavier"). I corrected that with the DK4510.
20210718_182642.jpg
20210718_182704.jpg

Last edited:
It comes down to what you will be using the tractor for (what implements you will need), your topography and soil conditions, and proximity to dealers. I went through this process using a spreadsheet earlier this year. Decision came down to Kubota L4701, Massey 2850M and Kioti DK4510. I was able to get the DK4510 with loader; added rear remotes, air ride seat, telescoping link kit, third function, grapple, 84" dual spindle rotary cutter, and rubber floor mat for less money than the other two with just the loader. I already have a box scraper and post hole digger. Easy choice.

A lesson that learned from my previous tractor; MF1250, 34hp, smaller and lighter; it did "mostly" what I needed to do for 27 years but always wished I had gone bigger (read "heavier"). I corrected that with the DK4510.
It is hard to choose. Those Dks are nice. That is definitely on my list to look at.

/ Choosing the right tractor #67  
It is hard to choose. Those Dks are nice. That is definitely on my list to look at.
I drove a LOT of tractors, went back and forth between dealers several times and read many reviews. Spent a lot of time on TBN reading threads.
Eventually the decision becomes fairly obvious... most likely when you're sitting in the seat again for the third or fourth time. That is when you make the final negotiations, the final cut.

/ Choosing the right tractor #68  
To be truly honest, after 63 posts you got your answer as to reliability. Just about every brand in that under 60hp range was highly recommended, and that is because tractor brands manufactured today are very reliable. Especially based on ownership comments. Normally scheduled maintenance is assumed. Good dealer initial setup is critically important to happy ownership.

Personally I don't think there is any unreliable tractor made today in the under 60hp group. From Kioti to Kubota to TYM to LS to Branson to JD, and many others, these are all very reliable tractors and will last 30 years with proper care, maintenance and some smart usage by its owner.

So your choice of tractor model needs to be made on other factors, like dealer accessibility, cost, hydraulics, tractor weight, type transmission and open station or factory Cab.

From your first post, you were nearly there to a decesion, with three tractor models chosen, and you were showing a preference for open station and HST transmission. So I don't think you can go wrong with any of those final tractor models. I liked the DK45 on the list. Will do everything you need at fair cost and high reliability.

Last edited:
To be truly honest, after 63 posts you got your answer as to reliability. Just about every brand in that under 60hp range was highly recommended, and that is because tractor brands manufactured today are very reliable. Especially based on ownership comments. Normally scheduled maintenance is assumed. Good dealer initial setup is critically important to happy ownership.

Personally I don't think there is any unreliable tractor made today in the under 60hp group. From Kioti to Kubota to TYM to LS to Branson to JD, and many others, these are all very reliable tractors and will last 30 years with proper care, maintenance and some smart usage by its owner.

So your choice of tractor model needs to be made on other factors, like dealer accessibility, cost, hydraulics, tractor weight, type transmission and open station or factory Cab.

From your first post, you were nearly there to a decesion, with three tractor models chosen, and you were showing a preference for open station and HST transmission. So I don't think you can go wrong with any of those final tractor models. I liked the DK45 on the list. Will do everything you need at fair cost and high reliability.
You are right. I just wanted to hear if there were a ton of horror stories with one particular brand. Now phase two go test drive.
I really appreciated everyone's opinion on here. Some really great info.
I made my tractor hunting much more clear on what I should be looking at.

/ Choosing the right tractor #70  
You are right. I just wanted to hear if there were a ton of horror stories with one particular brand. Now phase two go test drive.
I really appreciated everyone's opinion on here. Some really great info.
I made my tractor hunting much more clear on what I should be looking at.
If you don't mind sharing what dealers you are visiting... I'm close enough and am always looking for more info on big ticket decisions.

Good luck!