clamp on forks

/ clamp on forks #11  
That's why after researching both clamp on and chain on forks for my B2320's NON-QA FEL we went to the Yankee Warehouse and bought chain-on forks-they don't slop around at all.

The only bucket bending that occurred was from my overtightening the chain binders, because of my OCD.

I did bend the bottom lip of our bucket usong our (also chain on) Combi Spade to try and dig out stumps and rocks, and our Piranha Toothbar from BXpanded basically fixed that.

The $149 + shipping was the best money we ever spent on an attachment/implement, except maybe for our Gannon Earthcavator BB, and since that is on way less than the forks, they may edge it out.

We could never have gotten a QA and needed plates for our bucket for anywhere near that, and it has saved me even more $ in chiropractic fees, ISYN!

Thomas

I have a set of clamp on forks, which seemed like a reasonable shortcut since I rarely use forks. I wanted something easy to stow out of the way and not too expensive since they sit around 99.9% of the time.

For light stable loads they are fine. For heavier or larger loads that might rock sideways, they suck. They can turn easily, wiggle loose, and will sometimes slip off when I back out (bottom of the forks sticks down 2" or so and catches on ground). If I cared enough, I might try to build a cross link that ties the two forks together in an attempt to stabilize them. But in reality, if I ever start using forks more, I'd upgrade to a QA setup and get some real forks.

I think I paid about $150 for my clamp on forks. You get what you pay for! In retrospect, that would have been $150 better put towards a proper setup.

As far as wrecking the bucket, I did put little dents in the bucket on my B2920 where the clamps attached (nothing major, but it did show that it can happen). On my L3200, the loader hydraulics cut off long before the bucket metal even begins to get springy. I doubt they'd ever dent the bucket unless I ran into something with a good head of steam.

/ clamp on forks #12  
My forks have a chain slot, and I used it a lot on my 2920 with thinner bucket metal. I don't think they really helped stabilize the forks at all. Mainly prevented the lower lip from bowing and bouncing with a heavy load.

/ clamp on forks #13  
My forks have a chain slot, and I used it a lot on my 2920 with thinner bucket metal. I don't think they really helped stabilize the forks at all. Mainly prevented the lower lip from bowing and bouncing with a heavy load.

I'm not at all sure thatxI know what you mean by a chain slot as relates to your forks, I mean I know what a chain slot is, but I'm not sure how it relates to this discussion.

My forks wouldn't stay on all without the chains, and in fact one end of the chain is welded to the piece that goes under the bucket, and swings over the back to be hooked on a chain binder, the other end of which hooks on next to the 2x4 pocket for the antirollback upright.

The instructions did say that the chains are just to keep the forks from moving around, but when tightened down, they really do firm things up like a suspension bridge does with weight on it.

/ clamp on forks #14  
I picked up used forks in a scrap yard, ordered a blank ssqa plate. I'll be building my own. Aprox. $200.00 in material.
I just bought new clamp on pallet forks, 1500 lb rated, with stabilizer bar for $169 shipped to my door. Used them Thursday to move my 800 lb chipper (which is on a pallet) with my M4700.

<snip>
The only reason I could ever justify clamp on forks is if you don't have a QA bucket on the FEL.
I've got two tractors w/o QA :)

I have a set of clamp on forks, which seemed like a reasonable shortcut since I rarely use forks. I wanted something easy to stow out of the way and not too expensive since they sit around 99.9% of the time.

For light stable loads they are fine. For heavier or larger loads that might rock sideways, they suck. They can turn easily, wiggle loose, and will sometimes slip off when I back out (bottom of the forks sticks down 2" or so and catches on ground). If I cared enough, I might try to build a cross link that ties the two forks together in an attempt to stabilize them. But in reality, if I ever start using forks more, I'd upgrade to a QA setup and get some real forks<snip>
The stabilizer bar really helps.
I originally bought a pair of the 4,000 lb rated forks for my M4700 w/ stabilizer bar, last year. We used them a LOT in Virginia. Their main use was as a root grapple and we piled a lot of brush and they worked rather well for the $240.
8x6-brushpile2.JPG

We quickly determined the stabilizer bar was essential, twisting is not fun.
8x6-g4-using-forks.JPG

We also used them for moving a bunch of HEAVY palletized equipment, the planer pushed 1300 lbs.
20130919_094832.jpg

However as I was chaining down my M4700 for it's trip down here to Mississippi my son was using the HD pallet forks on my B7610 to clear the lot in Virginia. Not wanting to interrupt his progress I left him with the HD pallet forks, and ordered the other pair when I got down here. I'll swap later.

A QA setup for both tractors w/ 3 mounting plates would have cost about $2,000 for parts and who knows what for welding in Northern Virginia. My setup cost about $400. And storage? They can stand up in a corner in a wastebasket.

A QA type setup for both tractors and a long pole barn at each location for storage would be great, and if anyone would like to donate the stuff I'd be happy, but for a while I'll struggle with my $400 investment.

/ clamp on forks #15  
Go along with above mentioned that clamp on forks are fine for lite, stable loads. Mine shift around if I try and do something like move round bales.

When I am doing more serious work, I ditch the bucket and put my proper forks on.

/ clamp on forks #16  
Newbery where did you buy your forks?

/ clamp on forks #18  
I just need some measurements for the three point hitch. What is the standard measurements for CAT 1 three point hitch?

Here are measurements:

ASAEquickHitchImplementDim.jpg

Bruce

/ clamp on forks #20  
We have a set of the Titan 4000 lb. x 48" SSQA forks for NH TL100A but, caught a pair of new Titan 1500 lb. x 48" bolt-on forks for about $150 and free shipping on eBay auction a couple of months ago. Our Kubota B2710 FEL is not SSQA and not planning to spend the money to convert on this small tractor. Can install forks onto bucket in just a few minutes.

We use the forks primarily for hauling limbs, from tree trimming, in areas that we cannot get into with big tractor. Load never gets too big as to cause any deformation of the bucket. We do plan to order a stabilizer bar, for forks, from Titan to prevent fork movement.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet