CLANGING in the front diff of brand new T494....what the heck

/ CLANGING in the front diff of brand new T494....what the heck #241  
It will have nothing to do with the hydraulics. Makes sense it is in the front end because it happens when tires are rolling. When you turn the steering it moves the front end enough to make the sound.

I would raise the wheels off the ground with the loader and kill the tractor. Then see if I could duplicate the noise by just turning the wheels.

/ CLANGING in the front diff of brand new T494....what the heck #242  
FWIW, my Kubota HST just sounds like a regular HST fluid pump. I have pump whine, but you have some extra pulsating something noise going on that shouldn't be happening, IMO.

/ CLANGING in the front diff of brand new T494....what the heck #243  
I wonder if it would still clang if it was up on jack stands? A person then could use a stethoscope to determine exactly where the noise is coming from. :unsure:

/ CLANGING in the front diff of brand new T494....what the heck #244  
I wonder if it would still clang if it was up on jack stands? A person then could use a stethoscope to determine exactly where the noise is coming from. :unsure:

You would hope the dealer would have done that when they had the tractor in for maintenance

/ CLANGING in the front diff of brand new T494....what the heck #245  
Oh, its still coming from the front end...but because it starts and stops with forward movement or turning the front wheels (even when stationary) i suspect it has something to do with the hydraulic system. However, it does NOT occur when stationary and you are just lifting or lowering the bucket.

clover, I assume from your response you don't hear anything like that with your machine?

calling the dealer tomorrow.

Nope, mine is completely silent and smooth. So, if you lift the front wheels, and turn them by hand, it makes no sound at all and the wheels spin smoothly? Is it the same sound as before? Because there was definitely damage in the front axle before.

/ CLANGING in the front diff of brand new T494....what the heck #246  
It very well could be external not internal. I would also be checking for loose bolts in the front end mounts as well as inspecting for cracks. Maybe even the tie rod ends. Simple first then to the internal stuff.

You would hope the dealer would have done that when they had the tractor in for maintenance

I agree with this! Surprised this has been so hard to determine the cause. Not that complicated for anyone with a little experience.

/ CLANGING in the front diff of brand new T494....what the heck #247  
It sounds like cyclic mechanical noise to me. Like something is knocking around loose when a shaft turns.

/ CLANGING in the front diff of brand new T494....what the heck #248  
It sounds like cyclic mechanical noise to me. Like something is knocking around loose when a shaft turns.

Yes - like a ball or something hitting the side of a casting. As others have suggested, raise the front axle, turn off tractor, and turn front wheels,

Then start tractor with wheels up and turn L-R. It's a process of elimination at this point.

/ CLANGING in the front diff of brand new T494....what the heck
Hello All, lots of updates tonight.

If you check the dropbox you will see a bunch of videos from today in the tractor. the clanging is becoming pretty much constant now whenever you are moving. Not constant as in the "rhythm" or occurrence but constant in that it is going to happen. you can rest assured now if you push the pedals to move (forward or reverse) it will start banging and clanging within seconds.

Here are some major finds/discoveries today. The sound is there even if you are STATIONARY. If you watch all the vids you will see I am able to "trigger" the clang while sitting still just by moving the throttle. It is not as dramatic as when the tractor is under load...but it is unmistakable.

This tells me the issue has nothing to do with moving other than moving increases the load so that triggers it.

therefore, the issue is not in the axles, wheel bearings, differential etc. the sound is there all the time now, even when idling and stationary...it just increases in severity when you start moving.

In short anything you do to increase the load increases the intensity.

You can do this by driving forward, backward, driving and turn the wheels (increases resistance) etc. when it really gets going you can "feel" the hits in the steering wheel first, and then in the foot pedals. Something is striking something somewhere. you can feel it.

The owner of the good close dealership is on vacation for the next week. I called him from the cab of the tractor today because I was pretty sure it is loud enough now he could hear it over the phone. unfortunately I will have to wait a week to call and bring him up to date.

However, I am now somewhat encouraged because it is now very easy to reproduce....so there should be no excuse for not fixing it.

One question for the group...is it possible to "turn off" the auto throttle that activates when you push the drive pedal down? I looked all through the manual and could not find an overide switch...maybe there isn't one.

Last edited:
   / CLANGING in the front diff of brand new T494....what the heck #250  
So, was it just coincidence that they looked at the axle and found all that damage??