blackrams

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 1210

powerscol

Veteran Member
Tractor
CT 235
I dont think a small hole in the flat would hurt. Something like 1/4 or 3/8 but would not drill anything like a 1/2.

OP
C

cold1313

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800 Kubota F3990
I'm personally avoiding any modification to the ROPS. By drilling into it, I'm 99.9% sure that Kubota is not liable for any injuries if the ROPS fails because it has now been modified.

Will a small hole make a difference in strength? I don't think so. Is Kubota legally off the hook? Yes.

Otgaugres

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 4066R, John Deere 2720, Bobcat E50R2, Bobcat T595. Ventrac 4500Z
I made brackets to use existing holes to mount to ROPS. Actually on the front I attached to my canopy frame. Prior to getting the canopy, I had planned on mounting both forward and rearward light bars to the same mounting plate that I currently use for the rearward facing bar. Overview on my YouTube channel.

John Deere 4066R LED Light Bar Installation - YouTube

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
Ive got a bar awaiting mounting on the ROPS. I'd planned on mounting it on the bottom side and just using stainless hose clamps for the mounting.

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
For those of you who have mounted a light bar on the roll bar does it blind you when looking backwards?

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-25D, Kubota Z122RKW-42
For those of you who have mounted a light bar on the roll bar does it blind you when looking backwards?
Not for me... on my BX I mounted two facing fwd and two to the rear. They are above and slightly behind my head so I don't really see them looking back. But I do usually have a baseball cap on that likely blocks any glare or stray light.

Piston

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4610 Hitachi UH083LC
I'm personally avoiding any modification to the ROPS. By drilling into it, I'm 99.9% sure that Kubota is not liable for any injuries if the ROPS fails because it has now been modified.

Will a small hole make a difference in strength? I don't think so. Is Kubota legally off the hook? Yes.

Make sure you always wear your seatbelt as well, Kubota would be off the hook legally if you are found not wearing the seatbelt.

A small hole was drilled into my rops for light mounting and wasn’t concerned about a tiny hole weakening the structure at all.

In addition, ROPS only “works” if wearing a seatbelt. If you don’t wear the belt, you may as well remove the ROPS, but it’s useful for mounting the lights on so May as well keep it installed.

Last edited:

Wagtail

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4105 / JD D110
Ive got a bar awaiting mounting on the ROPS. I'd planned on mounting it on the bottom side and just using stainless hose clamps for the mounting.

That's what I did. It was designed for an automobile (long mounting bolts) so I cut a steel bar, drilled the holes, bolted it on with the provided locking nuts (at a guestimated 'down' angle)and cut the excess bolt away. Next, a thick piece of rubber matting between the bar/nuts and the underside of the ROPS. The rubber matting eliminated vibration.

I used tie-wraps (zip-ties?) to position it and then secured the whole thing with a couple of stainless hose clamps. I cushioned the clamps on the ROPS using a cut-up foam-neoprene 'stubbie holder' (koozie?).

Wire was run down the back edge of the ROPS.

Attachments

• IMG_0211.JPG
    IMG_0211.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 617